Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-19-2011, 07:12 AM

Nano is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
That won't do anything bad, but the values people post for Ca and Alk are for natural seawater conditions, which, on most equatorial reefs, is 35ppt at 80 degrees F
k so I just finished a calcium test on a fresh batch and its saying 420 compared to 320 in my tank. I wil do the alk, and then update but I am beginning to think it is my tank thats off now...
Old 11-19-2011, 07:14 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Ok, so we know Ca kit is probably good. 320 is low. Once you get the salinity balanced out, do a large water change. Do not dose anything
Old 11-19-2011, 07:18 AM

k so my alkalinity is still reading high on the new batch at 24dkh which I'm guessing this means I got a rotten test kit. everything else is accurate from what I can tell.. so if my calcium is reading 420 now in the new batch compared to 320 the alk should realistically be ok right?
Old 11-19-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Ok, so we know Ca kit is probably good. 320 is low. Once you get the salinity balanced out, do a large water change. Do not dose anything
again thanks so much man, I'd be lost with out you guys.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:38 AM

seeing as though I know my hydrometer is off by .003 cause it was just compared to a refractometer on wednesday, I made a mistake saying it was 1.023, I checked it 5 times and it reads 1.0215(so + .003=1.0245) so my actual salinity is 1.0245 so its just slightly low, but tomorrow I am going to have my hydrometer checked again as well as take a water sample for testing, and replace the bad alk test kit.
other then that my params
PARAMS
Salinity 1.0235---actually is 1.0245
CA 320-----accurate but bringing it up slowly
ph 8.1 accurate
Ammonia 0 ppm accurate
Alk/Kh 27???? WTF?--broken test kit
Phosphate less then .25---is this ok?
Nitrites 0 ppm---accurate
Nitrates 0 ppm---accurate

so all this being said, should I still hold off on my fish purchase if this is my actual parameters? or are they in fact ok?
Old 11-19-2011, 07:50 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Good to hear your SG is almost great
About your PO4...
Is yours a reef tank? If so, I understand you want no measurable phosphates
If it's a FOWLER you should be OK, but the phosphates may create algae
Plus, they will eventually build up in your rock and sand. Then you'll have fun getting rid of it

And as far as having your SG tested @ the LFS goes, unless they have a way to bring the water back up to your tank's temp, don't bother, but definately have your hydrometer tested again, and your other params too

I'd hold off on the fish until you find out where you truly are @ with your alkalinity

And not to harp on you but, buy a refractometer before you spend money on fish
Maybe you can find a used one here on the forums?
Old 11-19-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
Good to hear your SG is almost great
About your PO4...
Is yours a reef tank? If so, I understand you want no measurable phosphates
If it's a FOWLER you should be OK, but the phosphates may create algae
Plus, they will eventually build up in your rock and sand. Then you'll have fun getting rid of it

And as far as having your SG tested @ the LFS goes, unless they have a way to bring the water back up to your tank's temp, don't bother, but definately have your hydrometer tested again, and your other params too

I'd hold off on the fish until you find out where you truly are @ with your alkalinity

And not to harp on you but, buy a refractometer before you spend money on fish
Maybe you can find a used one here on the forums?
thanks will do! I think my phosphates might be a bit measurable, because I'm due for a water change
Old 11-19-2011, 08:00 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Safe yourself some problems and probably some cash. Stop going to stores like that. Theres some good stores in Edmonton that are mentioned on this site often and are sponsors. Blue World Aquatic and Red Coral Aquarium. Never been to either but also have'nt seen any bad comments about them. Also try to get your hands on this book. It's a good one.
http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/li...dcover%29.html
Old 11-19-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
Safe yourself some problems and probably some cash. Stop going to stores like that. Theres some good stores in Edmonton that are mentioned on this site often and are sponsors. Blue World Aquatic and Red Coral Aquarium. Never been to either but also have'nt seen any bad comments about them. Also try to get your hands on this book. It's a good one.
http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/li...dcover%29.html
yes these places I like alot better, more knowledgeable staff as well as better prices and no bull SHH.. also another great store is marine aquaria, not a huge selection, but again honest staff, and more knowledge. there is one guy there who has served me a few times, he wont try to push you to buy things, or tell you "It should be ok" just to make a sale. but I havent ever had a water test there.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:12 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
Safe yourself some problems and probably some cash. Stop going to stores like that. Theres some good stores in Edmonton that are mentioned on this site often and are sponsors. Blue World Aquatic and Red Coral Aquarium
This is what I was getting at on page 1 when I asked if there were any true SW stores nearby you