Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-16-2010, 03:48 PM

Wayne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Sounds like something has a serious neurotoxin in there?? No idea what to suggest ... I mean, once, it's a freak occurence but this is 3 times now? I hate to say it but I think if it was me that tank would be done - sell or at least rehome the fish, and haul all the rock and substrate to the landfill.

No idea what to suggest - good luck!
I would sell off those zoas! Also let the buyer pull them from the tank and bag them as part of the sale. Honestly this hobby is for enjoyment and from the sounds of your expeniece its life threatening. Glad you and your dog are ok but you need to do something quick.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:50 PM

marcingo is on a distinguished road

Murry,

About three years ago I came over to your place and got a rock full of those ugly zoos you are talking about(brown and pretty big heads right). I put it in my 10 gallon and they were letting off the slime. Next morning when I woke up same symptoms as you mentioned in your tank. Fish dead, bristle worms all hanging out of rocks and dead, large feather duster worm dead, inverts all dead, hairy hitchiker crab I was trying to catch for a few weeks dead, pretty much everything except for the slimy zoos.

It is definately the zoos that did it. In a larger system I am sure it wouldnt have happened but I didnt think and put 30 or so of those zoos in my 10 gallon.

Maybe they all reacted at once for some reason in your tank and released the slime.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:06 PM

andestang is on a distinguished road

I would scrap the idea of reselling them to someone. I hope things go well for you.

150g reef, 55g sump, T5's, Vertech 200A, Profilux III - German made is highly over rated, should just say Gerpan made.

Reefkeeper - individual obsessed with placing disturbing amounts of electricity and seawater in close proximity for the purpose of maintaining live coral reef organisms.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:10 PM

Wayne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andestang View Post
I would scrap the idea of reselling them to someone. I hope things go well for you.
Yeah after reading that they did the same in another tank I now agree that garbage might be the best solution
Old 10-16-2010, 07:47 PM

2pts is on a distinguished road

Wow, I hope you all are ok.

My very first coral was a large rock plastered in Zoanthids.

I had no idea at that time that they contained one of the deadliest natural toxins in the world. I moved them around and around in the tank, covering my bare hands in the slime.

I never developed any symptoms and am damm lucky I did not.

I now rarely touch them but when I do I first check for any cuts on my hands.

After reading this thread today I'm gonna go get those long gloves.

Last edited by 2pts; 10-16-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:03 PM

2pts is on a distinguished road

Got this off wiki ( I know its not always accurate) but still scary...

"His zoanthid was found to contain 2-3 milligram of palytoxin per gram.[9] For comparison, the intravenous LD50 dose of palytoxin for a grown man is less than 8 microgram. Thus each gram of the offending zoanthid contained enough venom to kill at least 125 grown men."
Old 10-16-2010, 10:51 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

It's definitly not the zoanthids that killed all your fishes and CUC. It must have been something else. Probably one fish died and produced ammonia that killed the rest. It happens all the time without zoanthids and if you had fishes in a 10 gallons tank, that was calling for trouble from day one.

Dunno how many fish you had in there. My frag tank is 20 gallons and I had a mandarin in there for 4 months without any problem, then I had a damsel and no problem either. I put all sort of zoa and paly in there and they slime a lot after I frag them but never killed anything and never noticed the slightest thing wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcingo View Post
Murry,

About three years ago I came over to your place and got a rock full of those ugly zoos you are talking about(brown and pretty big heads right). I put it in my 10 gallon and they were letting off the slime. Next morning when I woke up same symptoms as you mentioned in your tank. Fish dead, bristle worms all hanging out of rocks and dead, large feather duster worm dead, inverts all dead, hairy hitchiker crab I was trying to catch for a few weeks dead, pretty much everything except for the slimy zoos.

It is definately the zoos that did it. In a larger system I am sure it wouldnt have happened but I didnt think and put 30 or so of those zoos in my 10 gallon.

Maybe they all reacted at once for some reason in your tank and released the slime.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:55 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

that was not luck. Zoanthids were never found to carry the palytoxin. Read coral magasine as they have a good article on zoanthids.

Only a few species of palythoas and propalythoas may carry the toxin, and especialy a rare one from Hawaii that was used to poison arrows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pts View Post
Wow, I hope you all are ok.

My very first coral was a large rock plastered in Zoanthids.

I had no idea at that time that they contained one of the deadliest natural toxins in the world. I moved them around and around in the tank, covering my bare hands in the slime.

I never developed any symptoms and am damm lucky I did not.

I now rarely touch them but when I do I first check for any cuts on my hands.

After reading this thread today I'm gonna go get those long gloves.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:05 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
that was not luck. Zoanthids were never found to carry the palytoxin. Read coral magasine as they have a good article on zoanthids.

Only a few species of palythoas and propalythoas may carry the toxin, and especialy a rare one from Hawaii that was used to poison arrows.
That's what I was under the impression of also, I have over 100 species of zoas and usually go glove-less when handling (Fragging is a different story, that being said you should always exercise caution when handling both for you and your zoas health). I have never experienced anything like that from the tank but we are harboring complete ecosystems so you never know what's growing.

I'm on board with Tony, might be time to purge the tank if it's causing harm to the whole house hold. Wish you the best!
Old 10-16-2010, 11:30 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post

You're making my head hurt.

Order Zoanthidea
Suborder Brachycnemina
Family Zoanthidae
Genus Zoanthus, Palythoa, Protopalythoa...

"It has long been known that zoanthids such as Zoanthus and Palythoa contain toxic chemicals...." The Reef Aquarium Vol 2 by Delbeek and Sprung pg 70

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour