Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 10-12-2012, 04:00 PM

Nano is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by btymens View Post
Well seeing how this is most likely in response to my post yesterday for what I'm looking for it is not because I'm lazy or cheap. I go to the lfs every sat and I just don't like what I see there, so I thought that I'd might try and post. That's it plain and simple. Now everyone has a right to their opinion, however before you beak off just remember that there are 2 side to every story. Also to those guys who stockpile fish out of your basements to make a quick buck, maybe you should clean up your act.
Or is just me!?!?
Nope not directed at you at all sorry if i came across as such. There are a few members (newer) who's only posts so far are "LF fish" or something generic like that, and 9 times out of 10 the fish or coral is a beginner coral/fish that could easily be found at the lfs

Again sorry if I came across as rude, was not my intention.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:14 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

If I was looking for something a little more unusual I would certainly look to other reefers. In the event I was looking for something that doesn't generally do as well in captivity I would look to other reefers, too.

I have a couple of fish that I would happily and willingly part with. I just don't care enough about getting rid of them to post them for sale. If I saw a post where someone was looking for these fish locally, I'd have no qualms about going through the effort to remove them from my system.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:41 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Sometimes I post I'm looking for things like specific fish or inverts in hopes either someone will just happen to be thinking about parting with their's or some saw the item recently at a LFS. It saves me driving around to every store or calling them which is actually harder than it sounds due to language barriers or unreliable employees. If it's something I really want I'll even consider shipping from other locations. I don't consider using convenient resources to my advantage lazy, more like efficient
+1 this sums up perfectly my own take on this..

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
My first thought as to why I'd post a "looking for" a specific fish is the same reason I'd visit the SPCA before a breeder if I was looking for a dog. I'd like to see if there was an unwanted fish out there that I could home before creating a demand at an LFS.
+1 to this point too.

I shop at all my local LFS as much as I can. But geographically being in the south end of a very long city north-south where all the LFS are in the north side, for me to visit all my favourite shops is a full day endeavour, or at minimum several hours. I just can't do that every week anymore like I used to. So I might very well post about something I'm looking for, it can't hurt to ask, and if I get a tip of someone on the fence about selling one privately .. or a LFS who has it ... either way it's a win for all parties.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:06 PM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

I'm not anti LFS, we need them and I support mine. That being said livestock from a hobbyist will typically be larger, healthier and cheaper.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:56 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezetyle View Post
Has anyone actually asked their LFS to bring in a fish for them? That might solve some of the stagnation of fish that come in. Our store asks people all the time what fish they want to see in store. Unless its really expensive there is no obligation to buy it either. But were spoiled here in Victoria as Brad mentioned
AI gets new fish in on a weekly to bi-weekly basis. AI can also order in specific fish for anyone who asks and it's usually 2weeks to get here. The problem I find is that most people won't ask or don't like not know exactly how much it will cost as there are shipping costs involved that need to be added on after the fact.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:25 PM

Northernseacorals is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoholic View Post
AI gets new fish in on a weekly to bi-weekly basis. AI can also order in specific fish for anyone who asks and it's usually 2weeks to get here. The problem I find is that most people won't ask or don't like not know exactly how much it will cost as there are shipping costs involved that need to be added on after the fact.
Generally there is no shipping cost if you ask to have your fish added to their next order
Old 10-12-2012, 08:33 PM

Flash is on a distinguished road

depends on the place.... sometimes your fish is more!

it's no different then the reptile hobby. I deal with breeders, kijiji, people that just have pets.... I rarely have to go to a store, I can even get the food for my geckos from the forums!!!

To put this thread into perspective.. I will be picking up a foxface from Subman today for a portion of the price of a lfs. 2" for $75 or 12" full show piece healthy fish from another reefers tank for $50?? I got a heck of a deal and an amazing fish for a great price!

Fb- edmonton fish coral and hardware buy and sell!
Old 10-25-2012, 07:54 PM

windcoast reefs is on a distinguished road

I've posted a couple of times looking for stuff, for me it was because ive asked for a couple different fish or corals at my LFS and they couldnt get them in. But I recently started to go to a different LFS and I can get anything under the sun the sun within 2 weeks. I really think its just due to what suppliers stores use.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:53 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorjef View Post
I would rather buy from a local reefer. I think the fish are more stable and 'should' have a higher rate of success when I acclimate to my tank. There have been times when I was on the fence about re-homing a fish and to see an ad wanting that particular fish would be a bonus.
I'm with this guy on this one. I have a couple of fish in my tank that I'm not thrilled about but don't really want to put the effort into fishing out and sumping in the hopes of finding a buyer. I didn't buy the fish, I adopted both of them. Now they are just freeloaders in my tank and if someone came along and said, "hey, I'm looking for a pajama cardinal if anyone happens to have one", I'd be more than happy to offer him up. But again, I can't be bothered to be proactive about it and remove him.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:27 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
I'm with this guy on this one. I have a couple of fish in my tank that I'm not thrilled about but don't really want to put the effort into fishing out and sumping in the hopes of finding a buyer. I didn't buy the fish, I adopted both of them. Now they are just freeloaders in my tank and if someone came along and said, "hey, I'm looking for a pajama cardinal if anyone happens to have one", I'd be more than happy to offer him up. But again, I can't be bothered to be proactive about it and remove him.
Hey, I'm looking for a tailspot blenny if anyone happens to have one.