Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: All-in-one controller or multiple controllers?
Profilux or Aqua Controller II etc 38 77.55%
Ranco temp, Tunze 7095, Pinpoint Ph, light timers etc 11 22.45%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-13-2009, 02:31 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Interesting I'd love to read that thread if you ever track it down.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Profilux but if the prices on these continue to climb as they have I will likely go the Ranco etc route.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:58 PM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAbyss View Post
Don't get me wrong, I think controllers are great... I just missed the 'vote as if money were no object'. For someone of my thinking though, the controller would still be sort of an expensive timer, with e-mail
X 2 Expencive timer with an e-mail ! LOL
Old 02-13-2009, 03:08 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Yeah that is pretty true depending on what you want to do.

I want temp, light and tunze control. Beyond that it's just extras.

I won't choose the ghl doser over spectrapure due to it only having 3 rollers and not 4 and it's likely less risky to use a ranco and tunze 7095 since they are simple and tried, tested and true devices. Lighting I could find some digital timers...don't need diming. Also plan on dosing so I don't really think measuring ph is all that big of a deal either.

But still it is a pretty slick unit and I'm not crazy about home depot light timers. It's going to be a tough decision.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:39 PM

Aqua-Digital is on a distinguished road

Pan

Without getting into hot debate and I write this as gentle banter

Show me a thread, a report anything where it shows a GHL ProfiLux controller has failed due to manufacturer fault odd component maybe even though thats rare.

Sorry I dont mean in any way for that to be taken as hit, jibe or anything else just wanted to have a level debate .

Lastlight - dont get hung up on roller numbers in dosers, the GHL doser has medical grade components, the amount of rollers has nothing to do with reliability, but the quality of the components used. I am not saying another make mentioned is unreliable, I am in no position to judge or comment but dont disregard a product just because it has less rollers, look more at the functionality it offers and client feedback of that product. And prices have not gone up

In regards to the controller comparison link. The Author is a long standing Aquatronica user that also helps with the support side on RC

we have asked the author countless times to update this for the profiLux but still has not done so, we do ask ourselves why?

Last edited by Aqua-Digital; 02-13-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:46 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

believe there has been the odd failure when dropped into a mix barrel of saltwater. Might be stretching the manufacturer fault bit but hey, these are made to be used around aquariums .

(I'm joking here)
Old 02-13-2009, 07:51 PM

I was waiting for that

I did say manufacturer error

My biggest advise before buying a controller is go look at the support forums see how many main controller issues are reported and then decide, user feedback is paramount when spending this sort of hard earned cash.

Price is always a factor in everything we buy but a bargain is only a bargain if the product can be relied upon. I am not saying cheap or cheaper means unreliable as even more expensive things in this life can have its troubles too. But price is not a judge on quality whether higher or lower, user feedback and reports on forums etc etc is the best judge in my own oppinion.

So what is best controller or seperates? Well this comes down to personal choice. If lets say you want to only turn a light on and off a day and monitor/control pH and see the tank temp then hell no! A controller is not the way to go what ever the make. But if you for instance want to have level control, ph control, temp control, maybe even tunze control then just that little lot seperately would cost you more than a controller that can do all that in one box. It all comes down to what you want to do and if you feel comfortable having all your eggs in one basket which comes right back to choosing a controller you "personally feel" (irrelavant what the manufacturers claim) you can rely upon.

I appreciate readers will say my oppinions could be biased, but I hope I have come across as neutral as possible.

Last edited by Aqua-Digital; 02-13-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Gold Member

Some good discussion here =)

I've read reports of the 4 rollers preventing any siphoning issues and there is much more feedback about the litetmeter out there. I'm still a ways off from buying anything but I'm enjoying hearing everyone's opinion.

I have done a lot of reading and besides the water on controller issue I haven't read about total profilux failures. As an example the AC3 have temp probe issues. Think that was mentioned here but I read about issues such as that one many times. I tend to believe what I read over and over.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:33 PM

IMO any amount of rollers will not stop syphoning.

I am not going to say anymore about the GHL doser on this thread in regards to whether you should choose it over another, as I am staying neutral but please do your research in the "relevant" places and I think you will be very impressed But if you are going down the profiLux route as you have intermated then the GHL doser would be a natural addition if you are looking for a doser. No matter what controller you go for there is no point having a doser you cant control by your funky new controller.

However if you are not going down the controller route then you need to look for a doser with built in controller that can be expanded on easily, oops that will be the GHL then

Ok before I hear shouts of "hijack" Im outta here

Last edited by Aqua-Digital; 02-13-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:58 PM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua-Digital View Post
Pan

Without getting into hot debate and I write this as gentle banter

Show me a thread, a report anything where it shows a GHL ProfiLux controller has failed due to manufacturer fault odd component maybe even though thats rare.

Sorry I dont mean in any way for that to be taken as hit, jibe or anything else just wanted to have a level debate .

Lastlight - dont get hung up on roller numbers in dosers, the GHL doser has medical grade components, the amount of rollers has nothing to do with reliability, but the quality of the components used. I am not saying another make mentioned is unreliable, I am in no position to judge or comment but dont disregard a product just because it has less rollers, look more at the functionality it offers and client feedback of that product. And prices have not gone up

In regards to the controller comparison link. The Author is a long standing Aquatronica user that also helps with the support side on RC

we have asked the author countless times to update this for the profiLux but still has not done so, we do ask ourselves why?

I'll find it if i can and have the time...frankly i don't care really. He said he had evidence showing every controller failed...he didn't state why or how and if he did I didn't care to look...as I wasn't really interested. I only mentioned it as an alternative to the you need a 900 dollar controller for your nano banter that always goes on. I don't what anyone uses nor do i care if i really care if i influence that choice. rankly i see no difference in profilux or the aquatronica other than price...i'm sure there good units as most probably are and if one wants to buy a controller go for it. A pro-active consumer would search the nano-reef forums for that thread...if they don't again their problem. I wasn't knocking anyone's controllers specifically. That being said if i had the money i and the desire for a controller i would buy an aquatronica as it is cheaper than the profilux, if i had sufficient funds to burn i would buy the profilux. But i'm not lazy enough to need a controller

Old 02-13-2009, 11:00 PM

Pan is on a distinguished road

But...since you asked...

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/s...d.php?t=224406