Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Nano Tank Talk

Old 04-11-2010, 02:20 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Some other HOB skimmers that are supposed to be good are the Octopus HB1000, Warner Marine H1 and Deltec 300 (although Deltec is more pricey). I haven't used these myself but all get good reviews.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:32 PM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the input guys. but in the new place its starting to look like i will be buying a JBJ nano-cube (not much room). but for sure looking into the euroreef's
Old 05-31-2010, 09:41 PM

Sean is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenz0 View Post
Thanks for all the input guys. but in the new place its starting to look like i will be buying a JBJ nano-cube (not much room). but for sure looking into the euroreef's

I have a JBJ 28g HQI nano and the skimmer that came with it was uselessand broke easily. I haven't replaced it yet and was thinking of doing so but im at a stand still with what will fit in the back. If you find something let me know.

Also I love my Nano-cube but temp is a problem with the HQI in appartments or small rooms so if you don't want to be dropping money on ways to cool it you might want to go with just the regular lighting.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:59 AM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

I used a Tunze 9002 on my 30 gallon cube for a couple of years, IMO it was a piece of crap. Very finicky, couldn't get consistent skimmate production. The air intake was constantly plugging up with dried salt. It required frequent servicing to keep it working, and the inside of it is quite small and difficult to work with. Overall it was a huge headache and I would take it out in the back yard and shoot it if I had a firearm.

I've had my EuroReef nano skimmer for almost a year, I did have to replace the meshwheel 5 months ago and it has been fine since then. They charged $12.00 for a new meshwheel so if I have to replace it one to two times per year I guess I can live with that.

The EuroReef produces more skimmate in one day than the 9002 would make in a week.

The only advantage the Tunze 9002 had was it was silent where the EuroReef is just very quiet.

Overall the 9002 was a real let down, I have always bought Tunze products on faith due to their excellent reputation, this product did not live up to the Tunze reputation for quality and reliability.
Herbie's silent overflow system
Jebao DC 12000 return pump
Jecod CP-40 Cross-flow circulation device
Mini Bubble King 180
Barr Aquatics calcium reactor
Bucket fuge
Old 06-01-2010, 01:43 AM

VFX is on a distinguished road

I ran a Tunze 9002 on a lightly loaded 20g for almost 2 yrs without any problems. It worked fine for me, pulling enough skimmate to fill a quarter of the collection cup every week & quickly pulling a cup's worth of really dark thick skimmate when one of my clams died.

It would sometimes appear to pull nothing at all when I've done a water change but, I put that down to lack of nutrients for it to work on.

I've also been running a Euro Reef Nano on my Solana. At first it took a few weeks to settle down properly & not over fill the collection cup within a few minutes.

Once settled down it would start to overfill the collection cup about once every few days until I cleaned out the foam at the base of the skimmer. I got tired of this so I removed the foam altogether which gave me about a week or so before the skimmer will overflow the cup.

After a few months of this, it now 3/4 fills the cup every day (I do over feed this tank & it's quite heavily stocked) but occasionally will overflow once the lights go out.

I have no idea why it overflows once the lights have gone out for an hour or so. Could the change in pH effect the running of the skimmer causing it to overflow?

Anyway, when it's working it's an amazing skimmer & 30% of the time, when it's not working, it's a complete PITA. At least it's pretty quiet.

I haven't tried the Bubble Magus, Warner Marine or Sapphire Nano Skimmers, but if I had the budget for it I'd go back to using my favourite HOB skimmer, the Deltec MCE600.

As it stands, discounting the MCE600 due to cost, I still haven't found a perfect Nano skimmer.