Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-25-2012, 07:18 AM

Oilers is on a distinguished road

I've found Berghia to be the most effective against aptasia. I bought a CBB and it didn't even touch a single aptasia. I still love him though. Bought 4 Berghia from Martin and my tank is aptasia free within a few days.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:00 PM

Magma is on a distinguished road

I did 3 Berghia and 2 peppermint shrimp and I have a FOREST of the stuff in my tank, pretty sure the Berghia are long gone I saw them once but then I never saw them again and didnt see a reduction in the aptasia infection.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:20 PM

monocus is on a distinguished road
Default aptasia

you normally won't see berghia-except at night.if you see any egg coils -that means they are reproducing.it also depends on how many berghia you put in the tank.it is recommended 6-8 berghia for a normal infestation per 100 gallons-more if you have a forest.it also matters how you place them in the tank.aptasia will eat berghia if they fall into the arms.i tell everyone after acclimation,to put them in a shot glass and sink it and let them crawl out on their own.it also takes 3 months for a egg to reach 5/8" adult.the berghia will also go after smaller aptasia first before eating the larger ones.i have put 20-30 medium aptasia in my breeding tanks at night,and they are gone by morning .(40-60 berghia)the berghia do more noticeable aptasia cleaning if they are kept in a group as they swarm the aptasia colonies. dispersing individual berghia around the tank will not only produce slower results-they can't mate and lay fertile eggs which will produce the swarms.once you start seeing the egg coils-in about 10 days they will hatch,in a month tiny berghia about 1/8" will start decimating the aptasia.it doesn't happen overnight and could take 3-6 months to get rid of the aptasia-but it will be all gone with nothing left for the aptasia to reproduce
Old 02-25-2012, 09:30 PM

Magma is on a distinguished road

its probably been about 3 months since I placed 3 of them in my tank, I turned off all the power heads and placed all 3 on a rock near an aptasia and alas nothing has resulted from them (40gal)

pretty much have a tank with a damsel and chromis and a forest of the stuff which im sure would be great for anyone wanting to bread berghia but I doubt they are still alive.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:03 PM

-=James=- is on a distinguished road

Ive always used Joes Juice with great success. Never seen aiptasia come back.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:43 PM

btymens is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=James=- View Post
Ive always used Joes Juice with great success. Never seen aiptasia come back.
joes juice?
Old 02-26-2012, 01:21 AM

monocus is on a distinguished road
Default aptasia

joes juice is a thin kalkwasser paste-same as aptasia x only with some other chemicals in it and a huge mark up.i'ts possible that your peppermint shrimp ate the berghia.i've seen my fish(wrasses,trigger,parrot,and chromises put them in their mouth's and spit them out right away-but shrimp will eat anything
Old 02-26-2012, 01:23 AM

btymens is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocus View Post
joes juice is a thin kalkwasser paste-same as aptasia x only with some other chemicals in it and a huge mark up.i'ts possible that your peppermint shrimp ate the berghia.i've seen my fish(wrasses,trigger,parrot,and chromises put them in their mouth's and spit them out right away-but shrimp will eat anything
well i got a peppermint shrimp today and he's hiding right now. Hopefully it will come out tonight and start eating
Old 02-26-2012, 05:10 AM

bignose is on a distinguished road

If it's only one aiptasia I would inject with lemon juice and them epoxy over it with 2 part putty.