Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-18-2012, 09:56 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

Fair enough. Please post if Kent gets back to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
you never had issue but obviously a lot of people do, even those have have been using this carbon for 7 years like that store owner.

I did contact them today and waiting for their response.

In any case, this is super easy to prove...the proof is in the pudding. I do have the carbon with me. The store owner has sent some of the carbon to kent marine for analyse and we should soon find out what is causing havock with this carbon.

Kent Marine is aware of the situation and they will surely ..well hopefully do something about it. I will post their reply here once and if they do reply.

So far I have about 2000$ loss in coral

Probably not all of Kent carbon is bad, but probably some batches are contaminated with something. Since people from NY are experiencing the same thing, I am guessing it is far more spread than you want to say. I live in Canada, not in the USA so some bad batch could be in the USA and in Canada and possibly elswhere.

Even if this was a false alert and everybody having issue are just dreaming a bad nightmare, it is better to be safe than sorry and not use this carbon for now.

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:51 AM

Casey8 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
guys...read this:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2134021

seems we are not alone and I am really angry at this company. I lost all my beautiful blue sponges, lost my 3 rare pink digitata...can't replace them!

Thanks for the link daniella, at least I know I am not the only one having trouble with Kent carbon. I still cannot believe what happened to my tank, because Kent carbon was my favorite for so many years. It is so sad !!I didn't loose $2,000 on corals like you, because I only pay $10, $15 for a frag, but to see them growing up and colored up with joy everyday, and now look at them dying from bleaching, it really breaks my heart
Please update if you get any more information from Kent. I should have kept a small sample from that bad carbon and send it to the Kent company to verify that I was not wrong.

Last edited by Casey8; 02-19-2012 at 03:03 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:45 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey8 View Post
Thanks for the link daniella, at least I know I am not the only one having trouble with Kent carbon. I still cannot believe what happened to my tank, because Kent carbon was my favorite for so many years. It is so sad !!I didn't loose $2,000 on corals like you, because I only pay $10, $15 for a frag, but to see them growing up and colored up with joy everyday, and now look at them dying from bleaching, it really breaks my heart
Please update if you get any more information from Kent. I should have kept a small sample from that bad carbon and send it to the Kent company to verify that I was not wrong.
I have plenty of this bad carbon left. Don't worry, they wrote in the other thread that the store owner have sent a sample to the company. I am keeping mine for sure, in case there is a need to analyse it.

I guess the important thing is to have proof of purchase if you don't have any carbon left.

I lost 2000$ worth in coral. That's the price I would need to pay to replace what I lost. I too started a few of these pieces with little frags but they were no little frags anylonger so they are not worth 30$ any longer. Even if you bought your corals are 10$ frag, they are worth a lot more when they grow large. It is that cost that you must calculate because replacing those pieces would cost that much.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:31 PM

Casey8 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have plenty of this bad carbon left. Don't worry, they wrote in the other thread that the store owner have sent a sample to the company. I am keeping mine for sure, in case there is a need to analyse it.

I guess the important thing is to have proof of purchase if you don't have any carbon left.

I lost 2000$ worth in coral. That's the price I would need to pay to replace what I lost. I too started a few of these pieces with little frags but they were no little frags anylonger so they are not worth 30$ any longer. Even if you bought your corals are 10$ frag, they are worth a lot more when they grow large. It is that cost that you must calculate because replacing those pieces would cost that much.

Yah, you are right about that. It's not a $10 frag anymore !
My skimmer had pulled lots of black nasty color from that carbon in the last 2 days. Thank God, it is back to a normal color now.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:25 PM

Canuckgod420 is on a distinguished road

I also had the sme issue when I switched to Kent, 1 afternoon I switch out the carbon, next morning serious colour loss. I simply turned off my carbon reactor, reduced my light duration, and kept a watchful eye.
Non of my corals died, but some where looking pretty stressed, no polyp extension, complete colour loss, small amounts of tissue recession.
But in a couple weeks things started to turn around, colour returning, polyps coming out. Now 3 months later everything is growing so fast I cant keep up, my colour has never been better, it crazy.
180G tank, custom DIY stand, Sunlight Supply-Sun Blaze 48" 8 bulb T5HO fixture, EuroReef CS6-1 and Vertex in 180 skimmers, 1/4 HP chiller, Tunze wavebox, 40G sump, and 40G refugium. http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57451
Old 02-19-2012, 04:42 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

I reduced my ligth for one hour but I think I will reduce it a bit more.

How many hours did you reduce you light?

My pocillopora that I thought was not affected have started to lose tissue and I can see some patches of brown jelly now. wow...this is nasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckgod420 View Post
I also had the sme issue when I switched to Kent, 1 afternoon I switch out the carbon, next morning serious colour loss. I simply turned off my carbon reactor, reduced my light duration, and kept a watchful eye.
Non of my corals died, but some where looking pretty stressed, no polyp extension, complete colour loss, small amounts of tissue recession.
But in a couple weeks things started to turn around, colour returning, polyps coming out. Now 3 months later everything is growing so fast I cant keep up, my colour has never been better, it crazy.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:55 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

A friend provided me his 40 lbs box of Kent Carbon when he shut down a few years ago (2006 maybe?). I didn't use all 40 lbs myself but I did use it exclusively for probably 3 years without issue. However I have heard cases where contaminates like metals have found their way into Carbon and caused coral death. For the last few years I've been using BRS Fine Lignite Carbon because it seemed like a better value.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 02-19-2012, 05:27 PM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

I use the fluval carbon and I don't really know what it does (never been without) but I see no negative effects
Old 02-19-2012, 05:48 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Paddy, if you're so sure it isn't the carbon why don't you use some of Daniella's carbon in your reef? Anything is possible, and it sure seems suspect that there are so many people having troubles with their new container of Kent carbon in the last month or two. It will be interesting to see how this develops.

I jut ran out of Kent carbon a couple weeks ago, and decided to try out the Brightwell Aquatics carbon as I have really been liking their other products lately. It sounds like I was lucky for once! Whew.

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:52 PM

jjntm is on a distinguished road

My buddy rob (canuckgod420) mentioned this same issue on here a couple of months back after switching to kent carbon, EXACTLY the same thing happened!!!! he was on here looking for advice and NOBODY offered any....lol... now everyone chimes in....

Good news for you guys/ladies is that it will all come back around. We believe it is just that the carbon stripped the water too clean and allowed excessive light penetration which bleached the corals (like switching from t5 to MH or swapping to led and keeping the intensity to high from the get go.) It took weeks of frustration and heartache before his tank showed signs of coming back around. I believe he completely cut out the carbon... and his tank colors are AMAZING!!! now... growth is better then ever and his tank is once again top 3 I ever EVER seen!!!!!