Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 07-24-2003, 07:43 AM

Bartman is on a distinguished road

Out here price is a good indicator; $15 for wild, $22-$25 for captive.

Some LFS do mark their Oscellaris as Percula. I rarely see true Percula in the LFS. Also, most captive bred I've seen don't look very well. It may be that by the time I see them they have been picked over but they can have odd shapes and markings.

Old 07-24-2003, 02:46 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Bob, I would suspect that it's a hobbiest or a basement operation. But this talk about colours and misshapes and runty looking fish makes me wonder, then, how many of these hobbiest-raised clownfish are in fact offspring of siblings. Inbreeding issues can't be much different for fish than it is for any other species ...
Old 07-24-2003, 05:06 PM

Van down by the river is on a distinguished road

I agree with Delphinus,
I think inbreeding is an issue, plus as hobbyists are so happy to succeed, they don't have the heart to cull. A local hobbyist may not have perfected their techniques and feeding as much as say ORA or CQuest. This may lead to coloration and health issues. The uneven banding can be due to the fact that they reach the market at an earlier age. I also believe that captive diets may have a slightly slower growth than their wild "cousins".
I sometimes see mis-shaped jaws on captive. It doesn't seem to affect feeding and may balance out as they grow and mature.

The reason may be that the person doesn't want the attention. I've met many breeders that keep them and their techniques to themselves.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:20 PM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

Remember that inbreeding has as much chance of creating a superior individual as it does an inferior individual. However I agree that is it highly doubtful that the breeder in Edmonton is keeping lineage records, which is truly essential if he wishes to maintain gene integrity.

I wonder if ORA keeps records. I've heard not.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 07-24-2003, 09:29 PM

impreza is on a distinguished road

ok..so i guess ocean's aquariums clownfish ARE wild caught, i am assuming this because of their price, 10.99 each..
Old 07-25-2003, 04:27 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

Likely. Mine were about double that from Wais a couple years ago.... Of course, I never saw perculas there that I remember.

I did buy a true percula once, early on in the hobby. It was noticeably different, far more black and behaved quite differently in my case. It was expensive as well.

I believe mine are wild caught ocellaris.

P.S. for anyone interested, while laying, the female bites the tentacles of the anemone that come close to the site.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:56 AM

Marcus K is on a distinguished road

I bought a small Maroon and a False Percula at my LFS as they were returned by a local who wanted to change to a aggressive FO. I watched them for three weeks as they interested me, most local Clowns are of poor health( ones that are for sale). The two have been great together and seem to be doing some pre-mating behaviours??? Would be neat if they do, but I'm not ready for that. I have been told that they could mate and that the offspring would NOT be sterile. My Maroon does not have any gill spines. What would the offspring look like with these two?

Marcus