Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 03:57 PM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

You believe this and you believe that but you still haven't proven or disproven anything. Op was having symptoms and his theory as to why it happen is way more probable, even without proof. You have 0 facts stating that zoas don't cause tingling in your hand after touching them and that it's only the brown ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
NOw that's funny...first I did not attack anyone, second you posted a link to answer.com...same type of link I just poste that was supposably not good

I do beleive that some parazoanthus (usualy very ugly brown polyps) are carrier of the toxin, however the likehood of finding this in home aquarium is low. Plus those are not really the type of paly that one would want to frag! lol!

If you read, the most severe case of reaction in human was a man trying to boil the ugly paly to get rid of them, not trying to frag them. Here is a chart with the polyps that were found to be carrier:

http://www.plosone.org/article/slide...e.0018235.g002

and the link to the study:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0018235

I just don't beleive that having a left arm go numb would be related to fragging zoanthids. Some people have understanding problem here..I was not saying that the OP was having a heath attack! wow that was funny...but rather that it is a possible causes and that I would go check with a doctor.

I do think that the OP should see a doctor and not take any chance with any possible cause.

Now that's just plain common sense.

Last edited by MarkoD; 10-25-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:15 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Nothing to disprove it, nothing to prove it either!

One thing is sure, HE SHOULD go see a doctor.

don't you agree?

The problem with this type of thread is that the OP simply assume that it was caused by handling zoanthids and he comes here and say so as if it was the true story, but without having done proper test and having consulted a doctor, it is just pure assumption. This is how myths multiply and survive.

If he go see a doctor and have a blood test done that confirm playtoxin poisoning then it will be proven. Until he does that, no proof and still a possible rick that something else very bad is on its way.

If he touched the zoanthids with his right hand (he probably have)..then why his right arm was not affected as well? sure... I would be more worried that something else might have been the cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoD View Post
You believe this and you believe that but you still haven't proven or disproven anything. Op was having symptoms and his theory as to why it happen is way more probable, even without proof. You have 0 facts stating that zoas don't cause tingling in your hand after touching them and that it's only the brown ones.

Last edited by daniella3d; 10-25-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:07 PM

2pts is on a distinguished road

Quote:
...second you posted a link to answer.com...same type of link I just poste that was supposably not good
That was the idea, I was poking fun at you. Showing you that the link you provided should not... gah whatever, no point in trying to explain it.

I'm out.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:29 PM

babyreef is on a distinguished road

I also work in the medical field. Although my field of study does not include palytoxin (PLTX) I would direct you all to a study from a more reputable source for information. I suggest personal accounts of interactions with zoanthids and palys do not constitute enough scientific proof one way or the other, nor do they make one an expert in the field of medicine.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21255599

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21483745

Quote:
I really like it when people point to something without any testing or proof.

You might as well have compressed a nerve or something like that and that's where the tingling and numbness came from. It could have been that you are having other more serious issues with your blood vessel and that might come back, if that's the case. I don't think a left arm going numb has anything to do with zoanthids.

If you do a search in google for numbness left arm you will find a lot of possible reasons, but no zoanthid. I would go see my doctor if I were you...as this can hide something nasty, like an upcoming hearth attack.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_..._left_arm_mean

Last edited by babyreef; 10-25-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyreef View Post
I suggest personal accounts of interactions with zoanthids and palys do not constitute enough scientific proof one way or the other
Scientific proof, by definition, no. However, enough "personal accounts" have been reported immediately following interaction with Zoos and Palys so that I personally feel comfortable with their validity. If I'm fragging them, I'm wearing gloves. Zoos and Palys do contain toxins that can present symptoms such as those reported, therefore, it's entirely plausible AND believable that the personal accounts are true. Since the purchase of latex gloves isn't likely to cause any undue financial hardships on the hobbyist doing the fragging, I'll again recommend anyone doing so err on the side of caution and use them, if only for peace of mind.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:38 PM

dc4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

You might as well have compressed a nerve or something like that and that's where the tingling and numbness came from. It could have been that you are having other more serious issues with your blood vessel and that might come back, if that's the case. I don't think a left arm going numb has anything to do with zoanthids.

If you do a search in google for numbness left arm you will find a lot of possible reasons, but no zoanthid. I would go see my doctor if I were you...as this can hide something nasty, like an upcoming hearth attack.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:39 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc4 View Post
I'm sorry, that icon is reserved for Kien...please put it back.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:47 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I'm sorry, that icon is reserved for Kien...please put it back.

to funny lol
Old 10-25-2011, 03:52 PM

babyreef is on a distinguished road

Please do not misinterpret my paragraph. I simply stated (rephrased) No single account constitutes enough proof either way. I'm simply directing everyone to look for more scientific fact, and not personal account.

I also agree that gloves should be worn as a precautionary measure, since different species of paly and zoanthid contain different levels of toxin. I encourage everyone to read the second link (in full), then you can make up your own mind whether or not to wear gloves when touching marine life, or for that matter, a helmet when you ride your motorcycle.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:41 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:

o god here we go let me guess it wasnt the zoas right he prob has velvet....throw him in some peroxide and a couple doses of vit c followed by some hypo.....

Quote:

That,s such a BAD advise!
Quote:
Sorry it's not a bad advise, it is a very bad advise.

Once you will get marine velvet and all your fish will be dead...then you will realize just how bad this advise is.

stiff drink anyone?????