Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-17-2004, 02:41 AM

Bryan is on a distinguished road

10-14 in downtown Vancouver
Old 03-17-2004, 02:54 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namscam
isnt a lower number the better.
No, a lower number means less total dissolved solids. That's salts , in all their forms. These salts (minerals) aren't used to determine DW quality. Things like PO4, NO3, Si, organic carbons, etc are used to determine drinking water quality. You'll have to have a lab analysis to determine what your water quality is, as we don't have test kits for the bad stuff.

go here to have a look.

http://www.ec.gc.ca/water/en/manage/qual/e_measur.htm
Old 03-17-2004, 04:53 PM

chwkreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namscam
y do some ppl say they have the best drinking water when their numbers cant even come close to that in BC...???isnt a lower number the better....
unless they arent talking bout drinking water and is talking bout how good their water is good for a swimming poool .. you dont need to add chlorine..its instant Cl.
That's funny.

I would have thought that the better or best water would have a low TDS count. I know part of the testing is subjective in regards to taste.

Now where I live we are actually on a seperate aquaduct, we aren't tapped into Chilliwack's main supply, but we are quite close by so my numbers actually shocked me abit. That's partly why I wanted to get results from other people.

BC definitely has got some great water.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:38 PM

Lofus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Lofus

Calgary gets its water from the Elbow river.

There are a lot of factors that go into water flavour, TDS, mineral and ion content.

Low TDS does not really equate to better taste. Just try some RO or distilled water. Some of it can be pretty nasty.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:42 PM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

I'm no hydrologist but I doubt taste has anything to do with purity. Isn't pure lab-grade H2O supposed to be bad for you? And everyone runs around paying money for water from glaciers, water that has been sitting for 10,000 years. Maybe it gets better with age.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 03-17-2004, 08:17 PM

chwkreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by teevee
I'm no hydrologist but I doubt taste has anything to do with purity. Isn't pure lab-grade H2O supposed to be bad for you? And everyone runs around paying money for water from glaciers, water that has been sitting for 10,000 years. Maybe it gets better with age.
Oh the taste thing was in reference to different conpetitions that Chilliwack has won. So you are correct that it has nothing to do with purity.

The aquafir that supplies the water out here has tested for low nitrate and low microbial contamination. So I guess that explains why TDS readings don't indicate everything about our water.

I know that Chilliwacks water boasts it has half the contaminats of bottled water. So other than paying for the fancy blue bottle, I'd be wasting money paying for the bottle water that isn't as good as the water coming out of our local taps.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:27 PM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

I've always considered bottled water a scam. In Europe, Dasani comes from London's public water supply, and Toronto is talking about bottling and selling their water as well.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 03-17-2004, 08:55 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lofus
Calgary gets its water from the Elbow river.
FWIW, "south" Calgary gets its water from the Elbow. North gets it from the Bow. You'd think they'd be fairly similar but I seem to recall the last time I ever looked into this they were surprisingly distinct.

Not that it matters, it's more just something of an observation I find interesting.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:33 AM

dyereefer is on a distinguished road

I live in surrey and the TDS=8
Old 03-18-2004, 04:11 AM

ruck'n'reefer is on a distinguished road

110 pre RO, clearbrook waterworks, Abbotsford