Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 07-16-2012, 10:36 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

People who vacation in Mexico and then complain about the heat and sun get a big FAIL in my books...lol
Old 07-17-2012, 07:19 PM

Oilers is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobytron View Post
People who vacation in Mexico and then complain about the heat and sun get a big FAIL in my books...lol
That's human nature. It's too hot! It's too cold! It rains again! It snows too
much! For every weather condition, I think there's someone that will complain about it
Old 07-17-2012, 08:03 PM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
There's comfortable hot: around 30 degrees. And then there's too hot: over 40
Old 07-17-2012, 08:11 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
There is too hot, but when you have a swim up bar with unlimited yummy drinks, all is good.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 07-17-2012, 08:34 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

If you have kids I definitely recommend visiting Xel Ha. Word of warning though: They ban sunscreen as too much sunscreen in the water is bad for the fish. They offer their own environmentally friendly sunscreen. It's not cheap but buy it. I took one of my diving groups there and I figured I could just get away with wearing my rashguard (which has an SPF rating) in the water and be alright for an hour. Got the the WORST sunburn of my life that day... and I don't burn very easy.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
If you have kids I definitely recommend visiting Xel Ha. Word of warning though: They ban sunscreen as too much sunscreen in the water is bad for the fish. They offer their own environmentally friendly sunscreen. It's not cheap but buy it. I took one of my diving groups there and I figured I could just get away with wearing my rashguard (which has an SPF rating) in the water and be alright for an hour. Got the the WORST sunburn of my life that day... and I don't burn very easy.
Actually when I was there last summer, their sunscreen was absolutely FREE to us. If you bring your own, it has to be eco friendly, otherwise you just showed them what you have, and if not good, they gave you some other stuff. Unless things have changed, it was free to us. Now in saying this, it wasn't a full tube, it was small cups filled, one per person.

Maybe things have changed though.

Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker

Last edited by globaldesigns; 07-17-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:42 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by globaldesigns View Post
Actually when I was there last summer, their sunscreen was absolutely FREE to us. If you bring your own, it has to be eco friendly, otherwise you just showed them what you have, and if not good, they gave you some other stuff. Unless things have changed, it was free to us. Now in saying this, it wasn't a full tube, it was small cups filled, one per person.

Maybe things have changed though.
Oh, that's awesome! Ya, that's new since I've been there. Maybe when they saw Lobsterman (me with a burn) come out of the water it scared them into giving it away for free.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Oh, that's awesome! Ya, that's new since I've been there. Maybe when they saw Lobsterman (me with a burn) come out of the water it scared them into giving it away for free.
That is a good point you brought up though, as you should make sure you have the proper stuff, just in case, or if you need more than what is supplied.

Sunscreen will run you $30-60 per bottle, depending on SPF and brand, the better or higher SPF, the more costly.

We took approx 10 bottles with us for 2 weeks, just had enough for a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 children).

Old 07-18-2012, 12:45 AM

russp is on a distinguished road

+1 on a trip to Akumal , we stay at the Akumal Beach Resort every winter & have travelled all over the area . Snorkelling in Akumal is amazing & i would also suggest the Yal Ku lagoon in north Akumal. It is also a wonderful place to snorkel for all ages , another favorite is Dos Ojos a cenote near the entrance to Xel Ha . A 40 minute ferry ride to Cozumel is a fun way to spend a day as well ( watch for the flying fish when you are making the crossing , pretty cool as well )
Old 09-10-2012, 03:10 PM

Oilers is on a distinguished road

Hola everyone,
The trip was a blast. Thanks again for all the tips/suggestions that you have made. Xelha was definitely the highlight of the trip. I would go again in a heartbeat. Tulum was very interesting as well. The foods were great. The Mexican people were quite friendly. I am thinking about a trip back already