Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 01-13-2013, 04:44 PM

chromakey is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the information.

I am planning to use for drinking/cooking as well.

Has anyone added a small reservoir tank like the Aquasafe models?

For drinking does everyone use a final polishing carbon filter?
The company mentioned this adds 50/75 ppms of carbon. He didn't recommend using this for the aquarium water.

How do most people tie into the water supply line?

Thanks,

Michael
Old 01-14-2013, 02:36 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

I simply installed a JG Y connector & 2 shut off valves downstream of the RO membrane. Close the valve on the line to the DI stage, open the other valve & fill a standard 5 gal water bottle with the line from the RO membrane. Use it for cooking, drinking, making beer/wine etc. I pretty much always wait until I've filled the 5 gal container with RO water before producing DI water. This ensures the TDS out of the membrane has plenty of time to get as low as possible & stabilize. During the summer I generally get 1 TDS out of the membrane, but during the winter with colder water I often get a 0 TDS reading out of the RO. I figure this routine has probably lengthened the life of my DI media.

As far as tying into the water supply, I added a copper tee & ball valve into the cold water line to my washing machine. Reduced & adapted to the RODI size tubing using some JG type parts from Can Tire. Here's a photo;

Last edited by mike31154; 01-14-2013 at 02:44 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:32 AM

Xadieu is on a distinguished road

I've been using aquafx unit with no problems at all, it makes more water than I need. I just don't really see the point in spending more money than you need to just to have that brand name when both products achieve the same exact end product, in this case 0 TDS water. If you're buying leds I can see a big discussion on this.