Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-04-2013, 11:20 PM

hfp75 is on a distinguished road

Well, I have not really had nuisance algae at all. Every now and then I get a bit of algae built up on the sand, but usually that is under the tube anemone, as none of the snails or sand sifting star fish will go under there to stir up the sand (I'll just do it with my fingers every few weeks). Rarely will I find much for algae, I have only suffered from high NO3 from the mixed reef tank.

I debated vodka, sugar, bioballs/pellets & IO NO3 reducer, but in the end the 'COIL' looked best as there were no additives, just loads of anaerobic bacteria. Less overall cost!!!! Plus, if the additives run out (in the tank/system) you have a bacterial crash as they don't have the carbon to live on. This way, if the 'COIL' is removed or shuts down it just reverts back to aerobic bacteria and the existing anaerobic that is in the tank. No massive die off. All my bacteria live on their own. You could say that dosing is like steroids, but dosing doesn't only effect bacteria. So, the potential mess/crash if there are carbon issues (runs out, or changes in concentration) could be monumental!!! Hence why I steered away from it.

No Additives, no increased cost, less chance of a crash....

My cost to build the coil was about $50 bucks plus the pump, hose & inline ball valves.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:38 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

tank looks great and you weren't kidding... that tube nem is huge.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:45 PM

I'll be shameless, the tube anemone is for sale/trade. If I had a bigger tank I'd just keep it but in my 55g there just isn't enough room, it's very healthy and eats a ton of brine/mysis when I feed, it'll even eat cyclopseese!

I know, shameless sales plug!
Old 12-16-2013, 06:20 PM

The Tube Anemone has a new home....

OK, it has been a few days since I have updated this thread. My tank is doing well. My Aussie Gold Torch has died - I am very sad about this!!!!!! but I figured I could test the Coil with the NO3 surge. Before the RTN my NO3 were , now 2 days after the RTN consumed the Gold Torch they are 40.

I want to see how long it takes for them to drop - or if they stay at 40'ish.

Here is a pic....
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...psec3d0b74.jpg

Before 10-20
After 20-40

This is a 5-6 day difference. I know that the color interpretation is hard with these test kits but its close... plus actually seeing them is better than the pictures. The lighting in the picture can change the color just a bit.

As for the Aussie Gold Torch, it fell into a bunch of Xenia and that began its true demise..... I am frustrated as I love Gold Torches but I'll get another. Anyone have a frag ????? One that is growing well in their tank ?