Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 06-24-2011, 04:00 AM

AquaticFinatic is on a distinguished road

Not meaning to jack the thread but what kinda foam are people using? Are we talking the pink dense foam or the white poly stuff? Thanks.

Loudest part of my system would be the nagging sound I hear on a regular basis about how much time and money I spend on the tank.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:09 AM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

Definitely the dense pink foam. My 300 sits on a 3/4" sheet. It's not a good idea to put your tank on foam if it has a floating bottom and trim. If the bottom is glass and flat, foam is required.

- Brad
Old 06-25-2011, 05:36 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcha0s@conceptaquatics View Post
It's not a good idea to put your tank on foam if it has a floating bottom and trim.

- Brad
I don't know if I would agree with that at all. for 12 years on here and 10 year prior to that I have placed my tanks on foam and seen hundreds of others do the same on floating bottom tanks. now all because one guys tank cracked and the manufacture used that as an excuse to not pay it out everyone is scared of them. I can tell you if you use a dense foam the bottom of the tank doesn't touch the foam only the rim does so it is still having the same effect by adsorbing minor imperfections. now if you use a lower density foam that will allow the weight to be shifted to the bottom of the tank then sure you may have an issue, but using blue or pink High density foam from home depot won't allow this unless you cut it to close to the edge. you sould always leave about 1/2" around the tank so you don't get a colapsing edge.

this is the key.. MINOR imperfections... it is an extra safty measure but will not make up for a badly built stand.

this junk is spreading as fast as DSB's did 12 years ago... look how they turned out

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.

Last edited by StirCrazy; 06-25-2011 at 05:39 PM.