Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-09-2011, 05:16 AM

Aquaria is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by asylumdown View Post
As for the ethics of keeping animals in glass boxes - that's always going to be a matter of opinion, but one would think that everyone here had to come to peace with that little conundrum by now.
+1 i got a good laugh from this
Old 01-09-2011, 03:21 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Okay I admit, I am a little jealous that he has so much more wood than I do. The reason for which will become apparent in a few days.
Ummmm it's ok Kien I really don't need to see your wood
Old 01-08-2011, 05:14 PM

MitchM is on a distinguished road

Is Wayne (Naesco) on holidays?

Old 01-08-2011, 05:52 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchM View Post
Is Wayne (Naesco) on holidays?
Old 01-08-2011, 07:48 PM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

A couple of things that seem obvious to me:
> When we're talking about whether a yellow or Kole tang would be happiest in a 90 gallon or a 150 gallon, I agree we're splitting hairs. The trouble with studies like this is that a newbie to the hobby will see this and figure the LFS was right when they were told they could put a Naso tang in their 20 gallon.

> As for the article, I think a lot of you missed what felt like the most important part to me. Going by Gallons, is like the inch of fish per gallon rule. His example was "My car gets 500 pounds to the Mile", it just doesn't work. What this guy is advocating is a "swiming space" measurement for the simple reason that you could have a 150 gallon "Tall tank" with some crazy measurement like 12long x 12wide x 8 feet tall and it would satisfy the "gallonage" rule but still be a horribly inappropriate for any kind of swimming fish. Likewise you could have a shallow reef that was 5 or 6 feet long, but shallow and not a lot of depth and provide the swimming room appropriate for larger fishes but fall below the "Appropriate Gallon Rule". His other beef is with "Tang Police" not caring about other fish like wrasses who also need a TON of room. Most importantly, he does NOT advocate a lack of standards when it comes to housing fish, just that the gallon rule most frequently used by the TP is not the standard we should be using. Also, worth noting in the scientific study he noted that it was sub-adult parrotfish being studied and not full grown specimens.

Finally, I find the attitude that since you already took it out of it's natural environment and put it in a glass box therefore you have no responsibility to provide an appropriate environment, to be an incredibly ignorant sentiment. If you enjoy steak, does that mean you shouldn't be concerned about whether or not beef cattle are grown appropriately, or be disturbed when you see abuse of animals? If you're driving along on a road, does the fact that the road already destroyed the environment it sits on make it acceptable to throw your garbage out the window?

Our hobby is destructive, there's no if's and's or but's about it, that said it does not absolve us of the responsibility to care for the creatures in our possession and to do what we can to mitigate the negatives by purchasing captive bred when possible, passing on fish that come from areas with shady collection practices when buying wild-caught, buying frags from fellow hobbiests as opposed to wild-harvested from the LFS, etc. Failure to do so will sooner or later attract attention from those who only see the negatives in this hobby and will result in more laws trying to be brought in like the one Vernon BC recently attempted which would restrict our ability to enjoy this hobby.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:16 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

A lot of people will always do a lot of stupid things regardless of what they read or are being told. I don,t see how this article would advocate to a newby to buy a naso tang and put it in a 20 gallons especialy that they state the opposite mentioning that they are the exception needing lots of room.

wierd you got the opposite idea from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Fork View Post
A couple of things that seem obvious to me:
> When we're talking about whether a yellow or Kole tang would be happiest in a 90 gallon or a 150 gallon, I agree we're splitting hairs. The trouble with studies like this is that a newbie to the hobby will see this and figure the LFS was right when they were told they could put a Naso tang in their 20 gallon.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:11 AM

mr.wilson is on a distinguished road

I don't know how the whole tang police thing started. I have never seen any evidence of tangs being stressed in a reef tank, due to spacial limitations. The other claim that I don't understand is that tangs need high water flow.

Marine fish do best in smaller tanks (1-20 gallons) with respect to wholesale and retail facilities. Retailers that use large holding tanks (30-150 gallons) cause more fish injuries, fish-to-fish disease transmission, aggression, and trauma as they are netted.

The reef structure design is more important than the actual tank size. I agree, wrasse can cover a lot more territory in a short time tan any other fish. They have well developed swim bladders so they can dart up and down as well.