Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-01-2011, 03:51 PM

Aquaria is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscott99 View Post
I doubt it, not with phos at 0 and proper sump and skimming. The other suggestion would be to NOT stir up your sandbed to any depth.
His phos is at zero because it's being used up by the cyno if it dies off it will release back into the tank. Iv never heard of cyano going away on it's own sure wish mine had
Old 11-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Feeling lucky with mine, I cleaned my Tunzes so that water actually came out of them, and replaced my bulbs, no more cyano.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:58 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

patience,patience patience it was just last week you posted this give it some time buddy and it will dissappear.your lights being out will help but wont fix it.dont bother with your tests for nitrates or phos chances are they are undetectable because they are not there or are just 2 small to read up on our crappy tests especially phos.

it happens in all tanks at some point in time for different reasons some of which we will never know for me i had a bad problem with spawning from snails everytime a brew was hatched i had an outbreak i didnt notice the cause untill the snails were big enough to see and i finally put 2 and 2 together, so when ever i seen an outbreak i knew i was expecting baby snails.

decaying matter is a huge feul for cyano alot of time when a snail dies or shrimp or fish or what ever and doesnt get found it rots this feeds the cyano.the amount of nutrients these dieing animals produce is too small for our test(unless its a huge fish) or we dont have a test for it(like animal spawing/reproduction/birth)

one thing is for sure if you keep doing what your doing it will dissapear but it needs to be manually removed or your just playing a longer waiting game for something to starve.

chemicals work but remember that this isnt algae its a bacteria and a very resiliant bacteria at that and its only function is to survive and popuate...thats it ....and one thing weve learned about our world over the centuries is bacteria will find a way no matter what happens....nature finds a way

cyano is a magician it dissappears today for todays reasons just to appear tomorrow for tomorrows reasons.....best you can do is make it uncomfortable for it by keeping clean water,lots of flow and killing off its food source.

your doing all the right steps so it will dissappear and since this tank is only around a year old its still quite young in the reef sense and prob will battle lots of this stuff in its time to come.

running carbon and gfo aggressively in a reactor will also help your case and wouldnt hurt in the long run an yways against the battle for controlling nutrients.

give it a month or so and keep doing all you can cyano is battle thats easy to win but also gets the best of people by not being patient and trying to many "band aid " fixes.

cheers buddy and good luck
Old 11-01-2011, 07:55 PM

Aquaria is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
patience,patience patience it was just last week you posted this give it some time buddy and it will dissappear.your lights being out will help but wont fix it.dont bother with your tests for nitrates or phos chances are they are undetectable because they are not there or are just 2 small to read up on our crappy tests especially phos.

it happens in all tanks at some point in time for different reasons some of which we will never know for me i had a bad problem with spawning from snails everytime a brew was hatched i had an outbreak i didnt notice the cause untill the snails were big enough to see and i finally put 2 and 2 together, so when ever i seen an outbreak i knew i was expecting baby snails.

decaying matter is a huge feul for cyano alot of time when a snail dies or shrimp or fish or what ever and doesnt get found it rots this feeds the cyano.the amount of nutrients these dieing animals produce is too small for our test(unless its a huge fish) or we dont have a test for it(like animal spawing/reproduction/birth)

one thing is for sure if you keep doing what your doing it will dissapear but it needs to be manually removed or your just playing a longer waiting game for something to starve.

chemicals work but remember that this isnt algae its a bacteria and a very resiliant bacteria at that and its only function is to survive and popuate...thats it ....and one thing weve learned about our world over the centuries is bacteria will find a way no matter what happens....nature finds a way

cyano is a magician it dissappears today for todays reasons just to appear tomorrow for tomorrows reasons.....best you can do is make it uncomfortable for it by keeping clean water,lots of flow and killing off its food source.

your doing all the right steps so it will dissappear and since this tank is only around a year old its still quite young in the reef sense and prob will battle lots of this stuff in its time to come.

running carbon and gfo aggressively in a reactor will also help your case and wouldnt hurt in the long run an yways against the battle for controlling nutrients.

give it a month or so and keep doing all you can cyano is battle thats easy to win but also gets the best of people by not being patient and trying to many "band aid " fixes.

cheers buddy and good luck
+1 well said reefwars
Old 11-01-2011, 07:58 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

pretty long thread so i am not going to read it all, but my two cents..

i have always started fighting cyano with a 3 day blackout ... i find this to be far more effective than anything else. run your carbon etc like others have suggested... also have you considered more flow and and lowering your photo period?... sorry if someone has already mentioned this.

GOOD LUCK i hate this crap... had it all thie time before swithching to RODI water.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:49 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Had it in one of my tanks and for several months tried all the non-chemical suggestions here on this thread. Would get better, but never completely go away. Finally bit the bullet and bought some Chemi Clean. Cyano went away in 2 days, did a big water change a couple days later, and the tank has been clean ever since, going on about 2 months now.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:11 PM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
Had it in one of my tanks and for several months tried all the non-chemical suggestions here on this thread. Would get better, but never completely go away. Finally bit the bullet and bought some Chemi Clean. Cyano went away in 2 days, did a big water change a couple days later, and the tank has been clean ever since, going on about 2 months now.
I tried chemi-clean and it did nothing.