Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-08-2009, 01:17 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Woah, sorry guys!! I didn't see any replies after my last post. Somehow I missed the email updates.

When I first found the Nudis, I removed the coral (only one is infected at this point), and manually removed all the Nudis I could see. Then last week I found another half dozen, so I manually removed those as well I gave the coral a TMCC dip using a turkey baster to blast the dip at the coral. It was probably treated for 5 minutes or so. I haven't seen anymore since. The trouble with these guys is that TMCC will only kill the adults, not the eggs, which is probably how they made it into the tank - as eggs. I keep noticing adults as eggs hatch. They have only damaged a part of the coral less than the size of a dime, and I haven't seen any since the last dip about a week ago. I'm lucky for that, and also that I haven't seen any Nudis on any of my other Montis. I don't have any Turbinaria, so that's ok. I didn't know that Greg, thanks for the heads up on that! I'm crossing my fingers that they are gone for good now.

I'm still having some troubles... the diatom outbreak continues along with a very small patch of cyano. I think this is a reaction from that Lobo partially dying. I'm still not entirely sure what triggered that. The rest of that Lobo, and the Lobo beside it continue to be unaffected. Same with the rest of the corals. The diatoms and cyano should be receding by now though...so I am concerned. I added another powerhead to the back of the tank that blows where the worst of the diatoms are and the cyano.

When this all started I noticed some white tips on a couple of my SPS, but after I checked my notebook I have now figured out that I dosed too much Potassium in one go. The tips have now colored back up.

The corals are all looking good at this point. Good PE on the SPS.

I added a fan to the sump, so the temp doesn't go up so much now. It is 79 with lights off, and 81 with lights on. So that's better. Still needs some work. I am working on getting a canopy made, but that could be some time in the making. I will install fans there too, and I think that will make a big difference. I would like to keep the temp under 80.

I recalibrated my TDS meter, and checked my RO/DI.
Tap water 184 ppm
After RO 13 ppm
After DI 0 ppm

So that is good, although I see my RO membrane will be needing replacement within the next few months.

I need to test the tank today, but I think my big three are much steadier now that I have been testing 3x weekly to get onnit.

Right now my biggest concern is the continuing diatoms and little patch of cyano. This goes to show there is an imbalance in the system, and that is never good.

The lights are off right now, but I will take some pics for you guys later today.

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:00 PM

I see two more Monti Eating Nudis on that Monti today...grr. I will have to pull it and deal with that today.

To get the yucky stuff out of the way...

Here's my patch of cyano:

Some of the diatoms:

Some algae that I thought was red Bubble algae, but now that it's grown into the shape it is now I'm not so sure:

The background of this photo you can see my patch of red turf algae. The frag is from Fragalot...came totally brown, but is showing some promise now. Mega huge PE on it (gets more than the photo shows):

And the better stuff...

Blue Rics from Wicked Frags (fast growers):

Green Sinularia from Bayside Corals:

Neon green Candy Cane that I picked up from a CanReefer in BC. Lost a few heads in the center in shipping, but otherwise looks great:

My (Uber)Supergrape Mille from Coral Master finally starting to show the Mille fuzzies, and already growing:

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:07 AM

I took that purple rimmed green cap out to mount it onto a frag plug last night and.......

.........I dropped it into a sink full of HOT (fresh)water!!!

Today it has died off about 50% with no purple rim remaining. It is brown mostly, but 50% of the polyps remain, so it looks like it will recover, but I am sooooooooooo disappointed.

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:16 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

^^ That is brutal! Sorry to hear.

That red turf algae is a serious PITA.. I had that in the first creation of my 75, and it became so overwhelming I made the decision to shut down and cook the rock... Never did come back the 2nd time thankfully.

No idea what the red bubble stuff is though. That's a first sight.

Those Blue Rics are awesome!!

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 11-10-2009, 03:48 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post

I took that purple rimmed green cap out to mount it onto a frag plug last night and.......

.........I dropped it into a sink full of HOT (fresh)water!!!

Today it has died off about 50% with no purple rim remaining. It is brown mostly, but 50% of the polyps remain, so it looks like it will recover, but I am sooooooooooo disappointed.

Oh Crap! Sorry to hear this.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:52 AM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Your Super Grape is looking fantastic, mine is also starting to show nice polyp extension and is actually looking quite purple. At night it is actualy quite flourescent lime green now.

I can't wait for it to grow up, Hurry up ole Grapey, Grow, Grow Grow!

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 11-11-2009, 12:42 PM

Thanks for condolences guys. It looks like only a very small portion of the Monti Cap will survive.

Thanks globaldesigns! I am really liking the Supergrape. It sure takes its time adjusting to the tank though doesn't it? I was wondering about it until I saw a couple others mention the same thing with theirs. Mine does show a bit of green fluoresce under actinics too...mostly the coralites.

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:36 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Looking good to me Mindy....Ive always found that monties seem to take forever to settle in, but once they do they really take off.....sorry bout the cap....on the upside the fresh water dip likely killed any nudis that may have been on it....hopefully it pulls through for you.
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694

Last edited by fishytime; 11-23-2009 at 02:54 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:57 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Thanks for condolences guys. It looks like only a very small portion of the Monti Cap will survive.

Thanks globaldesigns! I am really liking the Supergrape. It sure takes its time adjusting to the tank though doesn't it? I was wondering about it until I saw a couple others mention the same thing with theirs. Mine does show a bit of green fluoresce under actinics too...mostly the coralites.
Yup, it is a slow one, but I am now seeing some good polyp extension, and the color is great, just need it to grow. 1 inch sucks for size.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 11-23-2009, 02:11 AM

Well, my tank is still having a bit of a disaster... it seems the Zeolites are sucking the nutrients out too fast and shocking my LPS. My brain corals and Acans look horrible with white spots all over them and some small "bite marks" of flesh missing. My Euphyllias, Blastos and SPS have never looked better though. Weird. Well, not weird that the SPS are happy.

Anyway, I've been collecting a bunch of frags lately:

~ 6 different Zoas
~ Crayola Plana Acro
~ Bali Tricolor Acro
~ Some other sweet colored Acros
~ Suharsonoi mini colony

This Fragalot Acro arrived brown as dirt, but ALAS! look at it now! It is getting quiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite nice!

Coral Master's Yellow Austera:

Another super cool Fragalot piece:

Suharsonoi (I think) from Bayside Corals:

SPS fanatic.