Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-25-2015, 02:17 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Valonia lives off of fairy dust, I'm pretty sure. It actually lives off of very, very little nutrients. It's the last algae to leave in Zeovit tanks and other similar ULNS. Try moving your less colorful corals to a spot of higher or lower light - it might not be nutrients at all.

I did pick up a one spot for the valonia but to no surprise is not touching it lol. I have manually removed 98% of it.

I will def try to relocate some of the pieces that are not colouring the best but my tank only has 11"of water lol.

I am going to borrow my friends par matter to see where it's at for the prices that are struggling to colour

Thanks mindy
Old 11-25-2015, 02:19 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
I will def try to relocate some of the pieces that are not colouring the best but my tank only has 11"of water lol. I am going to borrow my friends par matter to see where it's at for the prices that are struggling to colour

Thanks mindy
I think you will be surprised how much the PAR drops off near the edges of the tank. I have one spot in my tank that is actually at the top of the rocks in the back corner of my tank (about 4" from the side/back) and it has half the PAR than the sand in the middle of the tank! So I can put a lower-light Acro up there.

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:38 PM

So I had plans to stock some rare wrasses in my tank, and had the LFS on the hunt for me, but now I have a 15-day dive trip to the Philippines planned for February, so my spending needs to be controlled! I was going to just wait on stocking, but I was at the LFS and there were two of the nicest Carpenter's Wrasses that I've ever seen (not including pictures lol) and on Black Friday sale for $15! So I brought home a huge super male and he's in the QT right now. He's very shy - took him two days just to swim around.

The corals and frags I got at Canada Corals are looking good with the exception of one that has burned tips. I'm not sure why. I want to double check the alkalinity against the Salifert kit I'm using, but the LFS is out of Hanna alkalinity reagent and so am I.

The previous corals in the tank have either made a full recovery or have not recovered at all. Weird. There are 4 pieces that look terrible and have not recovered the areas that STNed (SSC, lovelli, florida, exquisita). The rest of the corals have recovered the STNed areas almost completely (Hawkins, setosa, Garf, capitata, etc).

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 12-01-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:55 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

"I want to double check the alkalinity against the Salifert kit I'm using"

I have always found inconsistent results from different alk reagents on hanna.. I strictly use salifert now for alk test
Old 12-01-2015, 04:20 PM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
So I had plans to stock some rare wrasses in my tank, and had the LFS on the hunt for me, but now I have a 15-day dive trip to the Philippines planned for February, so my spending needs to be controlled!
I'm jacked for you, me and my wife just got back from 30 days in Indonesia and did diving all around and went on a dive boat in raja ampat, we were strongly looking at philipeens but last minute changed to Indonesia. I will have to get my act together and edit my go pro footage faster cause the diving in philipeens and indo is crazy . Have you guys been there before ?
Old 12-01-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
I have always found inconsistent results from different alk reagents on hanna.. I strictly use salifert now for alk test
I've heard lots of people say that which seems to be correlated to having the reagent open for a period of time. I go through it super fast, so it's never open for longer than a couple months, max. My Hanna and Salifert are always within 0.25 dKH of each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigdillman View Post
I'm jacked for you, me and my wife just got back from 30 days in Indonesia and did diving all around and went on a dive boat in raja ampat, we were strongly looking at philipeens but last minute changed to Indonesia. I will have to get my act together and edit my go pro footage faster cause the diving in philipeens and indo is crazy . Have you guys been there before ?
Wow, 30 days!!! I wish! I would have to totally rearrange life to get away for that long. Yeah, post some vids already! I'm going sans hubby, and neither of us have been anywhere in Asia before, I'm pretty pumped!

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-05-2015, 01:19 PM

My Pintail jumped out!!!!! I have no idea how it got out. It doesn't fit through the weir. It doesn't fit through the screen mesh. The screen wasn't off. The only thing I can think of is that it jumped out when I lifted the front of the screen to put food in.

RIP Pintail.

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:27 AM

The Aussie Acro I picked up from Canada Corals 3 1/2 weeks ago is starting to color up in the last week. I think it is Acropora microclados, but I'm not sure. I think it's going to color up to be a Strawberry Shortcake type with blue tips. The tips are baby blue right now, but my picture doesn't really show it.

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:54 AM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

Nooooo, not the pintail!
Old 12-11-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythanith View Post
Nooooo, not the pintail!
I swear, I am not allowed to keep fish worth more than $50. They always have something stupid happen.

SPS fanatic.