Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-12-2013, 05:01 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi delt reefer View Post
how hard is it to clean and work in a tank that deep and wide when you only have front access?

I imagine anything in the back corners of the tank can never be reached?
It's not terrible as I have monkey arms but reaching the very back bottom corners requires some sort of extension but far from impossible. I only clean the front glass, don't plan on ever cleaning the back or sides. I place pretty much everything on rocks or within reach so I don't really have any issues or complaints. Would have liked to go longer and wider but I did pretty much as big as I could go given the space I had available.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
At least he's not parked out in front of your house taking FTS' ...

Nice fish! Good luck with the Emperor. Have never had any lucky keeping them in a reef setting
I guess that's one of the benefits of living outside of town, keeps the crazies away

Thanks, I'm not overly optimistic but most of the coral is SPS and Brad's gives me some hope. I don't have zoos or palys for the most part and if the few LPS I have becomes as issue I'll just remove them. Not too worried about clams either.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:42 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Thanks, I'm not overly optimistic but most of the coral is SPS and Brad's gives me some hope. I don't have zoos or palys for the most part and if the few LPS I have becomes as issue I'll just remove them. Not too worried about clams either.
It sounds like you have the right attitude. It helps to be flexible :-)
Old 04-13-2013, 11:22 PM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

Any updates? How's everything going?
Old 04-14-2013, 12:47 AM

Nothing overly new with the tank, still doing well and improving daily as corals slowly grow. The Empire is doing good, so far only picked on one of two virtually identical clams and a couple open brain type LPS. Surprisingly Favias have been untouched as well as a few palys and zoas I have in there so I've added some more of those. No time these days for tank pics, with the b-day deadline approaching quickly I'm attempting to finish as much basement development as possible and hopefully a deck as well, that is provided it ever stops snowing.

I have few pics of some basement progress.

Finished the ceiling and moldings in the center area, was planing on knockdown texture but I'm contemplating keeping it flat and just fixing a few spots, either way that's on the short list for now.

My current project is the ceiling in the living room type area, same deal as the bar so it's going to take me a bit to finish.

After that it's the back wall that's still unfinished, it will be a feature wall finished in stone with a fireplace and cabinets on both sides.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:32 AM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Liking the fish eye lens photos, at first I thought your house was just overly curvy .

You sir, have some fantastic handy work.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:14 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Basement's looking great! It's a winter wonderland out there again don't hold your breath on the deck thing lol.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:18 PM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

What no tank shots, is this a tank build or house build...

Your construction skills are out of this world, that crown moulding is looking sharp and the ceiling is insane.

360 Reef Tank
Old 04-14-2013, 03:40 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

You did a great job on the ceiling as it is but I really dig knockdown. My vote would be for that. Poll time?
Old 04-14-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoaelite View Post
Liking the fish eye lens photos, at first I thought your house was just overly curvy .

You sir, have some fantastic handy work.
Hey thanks man and yes the fisheye is an awesome lens for these types of pictures, I sometimes fix the distortion but then the scale becomes somewhat messed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Basement's looking great! It's a winter wonderland out there again don't hold your breath on the deck thing lol.
Thanks and yeah it's become more and more unlikely I'll fit a deck in before but perhaps I'll still have some time after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTang<3 View Post
What no tank shots, is this a tank build or house build...

Your construction skills are out of this world, that crown moulding is looking sharp and the ceiling is insane.
Thanks. My favorite build threads are usually the ones that involve some kind of house development hand in hand with the tank. Most big tank builds I see are usually built into there surroundings and it's cool to see how people mix reef and living quarters together. Plus I think I got more comments and questions about my ceiling than I did anything else relating to the tank, so I guess there's some interest there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
You did a great job on the ceiling as it is but I really dig knockdown. My vote would be for that. Poll time?
I prefer the look of knockdown as well, I have it everywhere on the main floor so it does make sense to tie it in but the issue with it is it can't be patched so it can be problematic from that standpoint. The other reason I'm leaning away from it is flat sanded ceilings are actually considered an upgrade above texture and the knockdown is going to cost me around $600+ to have done while fixing the few spots won't really cost me anything. So I'm debating whether it's worth while paying more for something that isn't worth more and can't be repaired.