Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 10-05-2011, 01:27 PM

The Codfather is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by elias View Post
I think one or two more rocks to make a cave on the right side of this photo.
I still have about 150 lbs of live rock in the back, so a couple of spots will be filled in.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:32 PM

So let me get this straight.......missing sand, exposed acrylic rods, and pile of rocks(that kind of hurt, Brett).
Alright, I will attempt to correct and post new pictures soon. Thanks, keep it coming, it's easier to fix while it's dry.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTang<3 View Post
I think it would look better with water... and in my basement but what do I know.
Always a smart ass comment eh?
Old 10-05-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post
I would think that with water in the are almost un-noticeable.
They are harder to see when water is in the tank, but once the coraline algae hits them they are hard to miss. I used rod in my other tank, and wish I would have used something to cover them as I noticed them easily after some time.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Codfather View Post
So let me get this straight.......missing sand, exposed acrylic rods, and pile of rocks(that kind of hurt, Brett).
Alright, I will attempt to correct and post new pictures soon. Thanks, keep it coming, it's easier to fix while it's dry.
Oh come on now =)

You won't see your rocks someday so the scape to a certain degree (imo) doesn't even matter. I actually complimented you on your rocks as they look now lol. I'm just concerned about proximity to glass. 3 inches is crazy close I think...

Sorry piles of rock should have been called artfully crafted rocktographic masterpiece =)
Old 10-05-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Oh come on now =)

You won't see your rocks someday so the scape to a certain degree (imo) doesn't even matter. I actually complimented you on your rocks as they look now lol. I'm just concerned about proximity to glass. 3 inches is crazy close I think...

Sorry piles of rock should have been called artfully crafted rocktographic masterpiece =)
Ya, I'll look at the distance again tonight. I always think of corals growing up not out and overhanging.
Good point, this is why I asked for suggestions.
I would appreciate if everyone from now on would use "artfully crafted rocktographic masterpiece" when refering to any aqua scaping.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:16 PM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

First off, it looks awesome!

My biggest concern would be if you ever got something in the tank that would move the sand around some, the rods will be exposed. This would cause a big eye sore. My engineer goby's would have them exposed in about half an hour. If you aren't considering ever getting something that may do this, then it isn't a big deal.

The other issue I could see with perchering the rocks up on pegs would be anemones. They may get underneath the rock and shift it around. They may even topple the rock on themselves. While it would be difficult to do, I've found anemones that live in the sand extremely powerful. If you aren't looking at this type of creature though, you have nothing to worry about.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokareefer View Post
First off, it looks awesome!

My biggest concern would be if you ever got something in the tank that would move the sand around some, the rods will be exposed. This would cause a big eye sore. My engineer goby's would have them exposed in about half an hour. If you aren't considering ever getting something that may do this, then it isn't a big deal.

The other issue I could see with perchering the rocks up on pegs would be anemones. They may get underneath the rock and shift it around. They may even topple the rock on themselves. While it would be difficult to do, I've found anemones that live in the sand extremely powerful. If you aren't looking at this type of creature though, you have nothing to worry about.
The rods will be epoxied with sand so that will be taken care of, as for the rocks. I would say the lightest one in there is probably about 20 lbs and the rods are glued in place on the bases, I will also use a small amount of epoxy or silicon to "pin" these bases in place before I fill with water. Trust me, they will not move. The only problem with this is, the rock will be a permenent structure. All in all, this might not be a bad thing, it will prevent the "lets just move this one rock senario".
Old 10-05-2011, 04:30 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I like your concept, it's different! I'm interested to see how it looks when the tank is "broken in".

SPS fanatic.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I like your concept, it's different! I'm interested to see how it looks when the tank is "broken in".
Well I hope it all works out. I've done a few things that have been questionable, and some times I think I should have just gone with something a little more traditional. But I'm commited now and happy with the progress, if it works out the way I have it in my head, I know I won't be disappointed. I have a few things planned, that should work out to my favour by the design of the centre overflow, but I have been wrong before..........