Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-14-2007, 06:10 AM

justinl is on a distinguished road

omg... im so hungry. I need this stuff. bad.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:37 AM

Fish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Treme View Post
YOU'RE hungry? Don't even talk to me about that now. Iron Chef.....I'd LOVE this recipe. Can ya do it with chicken too?

P.S. - Sorry for the thread jack.

Usually laab is made with the same or similar ingrediants but is ground/chopped more finely. (In the Isan they are a little hardcore and also add chunks of blood to the laab). I have heard of laab done with chicken but never 'chicken namtok' ?? Really no reason why you couldn't though. Usually when ordering food you state the name of the dish and then what meat you want it made with, eg, chicken, pork, beef, shrimp, squid...
They are all interchangable.

I wonder if the missus would be pleased if I woke her up to cook something...
- Chad

*** Photo updates starting on page 21 ***
Old 03-14-2007, 06:52 AM

hey chad I was wondering, if you don't mind my asking, where did you get the "laboratory grade digital metering pump that is going to add topoff water at the exact rate of evaporation" and how much was it? It sounds pretty cool. Any comments on it?
Old 03-15-2007, 01:36 AM

Hey Justin,

For sump dosing, normal topoff pumps will work. The reason I first came across this pump is I was looking for something that would be ultra accurate at dosing even very low quantities (like in a nano) and something that would be able to inject into my pressurized, hidden plumbing, without risk of back-flow.
The pump is a diaphragm style chemical metering pump. This one is an 'A Series' made by Advantage Controls but some other big names are LMI Milton Roy, Pulsatron, and Prominent. They are not made for fishkeeping but are designed for lab work and industrial applications. The pump fires a piston which draws water in then pushes it down the line. The length of the stroke can be changed to adjust how much liquid is added each time and the frequency can be adjusted for how many times per minute (or hour on some models) the pump fires. With this model I am able to dose any amount from 0 - 0.63gph, and it is rated for up to 150psi! That means if I wanted to, I could put this pump in another room in my house or even in my neighbors' house and it wouldn't have a problem getting topoff water to my tank (I wonder if they would let me.... ).
I really don't need this pump for my setup. The only reason I got it is I have used one in the past and am a sucker for a quality piece of equipment. They are super expensive and sell new for like $800-$1000US!!! You can get some awesome deals on them on ebay though.
The first one I had cost $180 off ebay (an engineering firm was clearing some out) and this one I got for only $120US. It never came with any box but the seller claimed it was brand new. Looks like it's in good shape too.
The person who has my original is a member of the board here and was talking about selling it for the same price I paid - $180. They have never used it, but even if they did it would be like it was brand new - they are made to dose things like chlorine and acid... so... ro/di water is easy peasy.

- Chad
Old 03-15-2007, 02:33 AM

Default Disaster

I cam home from work today and found that my coral life pump has quit (on the closed loop). The fan works but the pump does not run.
This bothers me a little because the pump has only been running since 03-11-2007. I will contact the vender and see what we can do.

- Chad
Old 03-15-2007, 06:02 AM

wow. that pump sounds amazing. If i ever set up a super nano and actually have tons of cash to blow (not likely) I will certainly look into one of those bad boys.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:07 PM

Haha, if you look aound you can find sometimes find one for almost what they will charge you for a peristaltic 'aquaruim doser'.

As for my external pump - I have been talking to Nate and he has been awesome to deal with! I will be buying a replacement pump from him.

Cheers,

- Chad
Old 03-17-2007, 04:37 AM

woodcarver is on a distinguished road

http://www.tylermerrick.com/content/css_notes.php
Hey Chad ,I just came across this site that has some good info on the Coralife skimmer , this might be redundant at this stage but just in case here it is
....................................Dave
Old 03-17-2007, 08:20 AM

Dave,
Thanks for the link, it was really considerate of you to post it.
For the next few days, I'm going to go wild fixing problems I never even knew I had
At the very least it will help me get it dialled in properly.

- Chad
Old 03-17-2007, 06:15 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

That dosing pump does sound very nice, but I'm not sure you'll have a lot of luck using for evaporation replacement.

When I first setup an evaporative replacement system, I tried to use a peristaltic pump, figuring that I could dial in the exact amount of evaporation. What I learned, was that I was always wrong. One day, too much..the next...too little.

Evaporation isn't constant. It changes based on environmental humidity and temperature. In the end, I changed over to a float switch based system and it worked better.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436