Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-27-2016, 04:29 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Fork View Post
Thoughts on the differences between the probiotic and "just" the reef salt? Is the probiotic simply reef salt with some bacterial additive?
There are also vitamins and aminos too. I used one bucket of probiotic and now trying out a bucket of regular reef salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galizio View Post
Does anyone use component +1,+2 & +3? I will like to know more about this product and some experience.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm using Component 1+2+3+. What do you need to know?

SPS fanatic.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:47 AM
The Don

Galizio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
There are also vitamins and aminos too. I used one bucket of probiotic and now trying out a bucket of regular reef salt.

I'm using Component 1+2+3+. What do you need to know?

I'm currently using tlf c balance,I'll like to know if this product is similar and what are the dosage recommended when all the parameter are in check. I read about that all 3 have to be dosed daily at the same ratio,kinda like c-balance, but for example c balance say to start with 5 ml every 20g, I don't seem to find any instruction online about this product.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:45 AM
The Don

Actually I just found the instruction on the aqua forest web site, I may actually give it a try.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I'm currently using tlf c balance,I'll like to know if this product is similar and what are the dosage recommended when all the parameter are in check. I read about that all 3 have to be dosed daily at the same ratio,kinda like c-balance, but for example c balance say to start with 5 ml every 20g, I don't seem to find any instruction online about this product.

You have to find out how much alkalinity your tank uses in a day. If your demand isn't super high, then the easiest way is to test at say 8 am one day, skip all dosing that day, then test again at 8 am the next day. If your tank is high demand then you should calculate the amount using the concentration of the supplement you're using.

Once you know that then you can calculate how much to use. There are instructions on the jugs. For the alkalinity jug,1.7 fl oz increases alkalinity by 1.3 DKH per 27 gallons of water.

They must be used in exactly the same proportions because you can't buy each Component separate - they come in a 3-pack. For adjustment doses you must use a different product.

SPS fanatic.

Old 05-27-2016, 02:51 PM
The Don

Quote:
You have to find out how much alkalinity your tank uses in a day. If your demand isn't super high, then the easiest way is to test at say 8 am one day, skip all dosing that day, then test again at 8 am the next day. If your tank is high demand then you should calculate the amount using the concentration of the supplement you're using.

Once you know that then you can calculate how much to use. There are instructions on the jugs. For the alkalinity jug,1.7 fl oz increases alkalinity by 1.3 DKH per 27 gallons of water.

They must be used in exactly the same proportions because you can't buy each Component separate - they come in a 3-pack. For adjustment doses you must use a different product.

Thank you so much. Couple of question and I leave you alone , lol are you happy with this product? Do you use vessel or just use the product straight from the jars? Also will like to know dimensions of the jugs if dosing is possible from the jugs supplied.
Thanks

Old 05-27-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much. Couple of question and I leave you alone , lol are you happy with this product? Do you use vessel or just use the product straight from the jars? Also will like to know dimensions of the jugs if dosing is possible from the jugs supplied.
Thanks

Ask as much as you want! Yes, I like the Components. I've only been using them for about a month so far though. Interestingly, in my tank the big three are staying balanced in relation to each other via dosing equal amounts. I know some other people haven't had this experience and have had to do some supplemental dosing with other products to keep the big three in balance.

I was going to dose them directly from the jugs just by drilling a hole the size of rigid airline tubing, but I found a good deal on some Bubble Magus dosing containers, and that's what I'm using now.

SPS fanatic.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:15 PM
The Don

Quote:
Ask as much as you want! Yes, I like the Components. I've only been using them for about a month so far though. Interestingly, in my tank the big three are staying balanced in relation to each other via dosing equal amounts. I know some other people haven't had this experience and have had to do some supplemental dosing with other products to keep the big three in balance.

I was going to dose them directly from the jugs just by drilling a hole the size of rigid airline tubing, but I found a good deal on some Bubble Magus dosing containers, and that's what I'm using now.

Yes was reading the instructions on the web page and they recommend to get all the parameter in check then dosing the 3 components equals amount per day, really interesting product... I plan to do my new tank probiotic, do you dose any other elements or the 3 should be enough for everything?
Thanks for your help, I guess I'm going to order some on Amazon :-)

Old 05-27-2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Yes was reading the instructions on the web page and they recommend to get all the parameter in check then dosing the 3 components equals amount per day, really interesting product... I plan to do my new tank probiotic, do you dose any other elements or the 3 should be enough for everything?
Thanks for your help, I guess I'm going to order some on Amazon :-)

For LPS and mixed reef tanks, I personally think you're better off just using the 3-part (either dry or liquid), and not much else. All the micros and foods are more geared towards high-demand SPS tanks imo. So it depends what you want from your tank, and where you currently are with it. I can help you pick the correct products.

You can do the Aquaforest Method in many ways, but here is the basic break down of the complete Aquaforest Method.

The probiotic part:
NP Pro (carbon source, like vinegar, vodka, biopellets, etc)
Pro Bio S (probiotic bacteria)
Zeo Mix (helps reduce nitrate by absorbing ammonia, good for ULNS)

Then the balling method which is 3-part dosing (macros) plus microelements.

There are 3 ways you can dose macros: Dry powders you mix yourself (Calcium, KH Buffer, Magnesium) OR liquid supplements (Ca Plus, KH Plus, Mg Plus) OR liquid all-in-one (Component 1+2+3+).

There are 4 ways to dose micros: Dose the 6 micro mixes separately for ultimate tweaking (Iodum, Fluorine, Strontium, Kalium, Iron, Micro E) OR liquid supplement (Component A,B,C) OR Components Strong and Reef Mineral Salt OR all-in-one Component 1+2+3+.

The most economical way to do the full balling method to buy the dry Ca, Alk, and Mg powders, and add the micros yourself.

The food part:

AF Amino Mix (formerly Coral A)
AF Build (formerly Coral B)
AF Vitality (formerly Coral V)
AF Energy
AF Power Food

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 05-27-2016 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:29 AM
The Don

Going to go mainly sps,
Before I make the switch will like to clean up all the others zeovit I got lol...
At the moment dosing c balance, some zeovit micro elements, strontium &potassium (brightwell) ascorbic acid, and for the probiotic part also use brightwell biofuel & mb7. Corals Food also zeovit.
If I think how much the zeovit cost+ c balance+ the probiotic part well the aqua forest can save me some money and time on dosing some of the macro that I'm doing manually everyday :-)
Was reading the thread and don't know if I'm going to go for the salt but the component 1-2-3 and the probiotic definitely are worth a try . Also was reading on the AF website to use siporax, may have to look into those also and the placement in the sump or reactor.

Old 05-28-2016, 02:43 AM

Quote:
was reading on the AF website to use siporax, may have to look into those also and the placement in the sump or reactor.
I have 2L of Siporax in my sump. I only have 28 lbs of live rock in my tank because I used branch rock, so I think the Siporax helps in my case. I'm not sure it is even beneficial in many cases.

SPS fanatic.