Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 10-28-2013, 11:04 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I think ultimately some people made the original switch to LED for the wrong reasons. Focused too much on the hype of something or the hope of saving money and in the end didn't make sure they bought the right fixture for their needs which may not even exist yet. Doing so will leave a pretty sour taste in your mouth, so moving forward with another expensive LED adventurer can be too much to swallow for some so switching back to something more familiar makes sense.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:06 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua-Digital View Post
In regards to the point people are dumping LED because they dont like the look, I find this impossible to understand as (again) providing you are using a worthy fixture if you dont like the look just change the spectrum, easier than you can with any T5 or MH.
I have played with a lot of LED fixtures and have yet to find one that can replicate the evenly distributed light of a T5 fixture.

I don't understand why this is impossible to understand? Let me ask you this, what brand of jeans do you wear, and why do you wear that particular brand of jeans ? There are so many options, why did you pick that one ? I will bet money that we both wear different brands of jeans. Which one is better? NEITHER.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:18 PM

Aqua-Digital is on a distinguished road

Of course everyone will have different tastes thats why consumerism is king, which kind of makes this whole debate pointless. everyone will have their own opinion.

So here is my opinion - For me my love of LED and I was one of the early adopters was the fact i did not have to change bulbs, I could change the spectrum and intensity at a drop of a hat and they gave off no heat so no need for bulky chiller.

Then came lamps with immense quality and functionality that MH and T5 simply could not provide in ONE package they either had one of the other.

My previous tanks had MH, I loved MH but it could not be dimmed, was costly in bulbs and I needed a chiller. LED's filled the void what MH could not offer.

I now run a lamp on my tank that both i and others that have seen them do believe replicate what MH gives but with brass nobs on

This whole thread is about own perception and opinion, I dont think it will ever prove anything, however to the deepest respect to Aquattro I dont think he was trying to make a point or prove a point just a question that is now way removed from the original post?

Last edited by Aqua-Digital; 10-28-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:26 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

God please please please close it now.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:36 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

I love LEDs too. I have DIY units using 10w emitters in 3 white & 2 blue spectrums, as well as inexpensive Chinese units. I get good colour & growth with my LEDs, never worry about the electric bill or bulb expense or heat. Once I do my switch over to setup my 93g 30" cube, I will be lighting up 3 display & 1 frag tank (total volume 383g & total surface area 26 sq.ft.) using a total of 450w maximum and 370w normal setting.

At my max. I had 10 halides (3x250w DE & 7x 150w DE) generating a tonne of heat (at least I didn't have to turn on the heat in the house in the winter) and needing 10 new bulbs replaced each year. Every summer I had to go on reverse photoperiod, use fans over each tank, and leave windows and doors open late at night to capture some cooler night air. 10 bulbs at say $65 each+tax is about $700+. My electric bill would be through the roof if I still had all those tanks and all those MH (rated at 1800w but actually consumed well over 2000w/hr use).

These DIY units grow my Purple valida and Bonsai great, with deep purple colouration. Great for LPS & anemones, which is mostly what I'm into.

So I'm another LED convert (over 2 years now) who will be sticking with LEDs.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:37 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
I think ultimately some people made the original switch to LED for the wrong reasons. Focused too much on the hype of something or the hope of saving money and in the end didn't make sure they bought the right fixture for their needs which may not even exist yet. Doing so will leave a pretty sour taste in your mouth, so moving forward with another expensive LED adventurer can be too much to swallow for some so switching back to something more familiar makes sense.
For me, I moved to LED to reduce moisture in the house, which it did very well. And they also kept about 95% of the color for over the year I used them. Pretty impressed with that. They also have dimming capabilities, which is pretty cool. Another plus! But, I would rather have 100% of the color, which T5 is giving me. T5 is also an unfamiliar technology to me, I've never used them. But so far I'm impressed. My chiller comes on as much with them as it did with LED. The light looks nicer, the corals look nicer. I do not have dimming. I have to change bulbs. Both are negligible at my point in the hobby. I do not for a second believe any other brand or model of LED would have been different. They just don't provide what I'm looking for. I may even start liking my T5 better than MH. I know, right??
Old 10-28-2013, 11:43 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorjef View Post
God please please please close it now.
What? It's a great topic. Kind of what this site is about rather than a thread about "What is a corporation".

I bought my LEDs cause it was the newset and coolest and big hype at the time. Did'nt do as much research as I should have, but I was on a budget. I chose AIs and glad I did. I dont consider them a low end set of lights as many of you call them. There's alot of tweaking involved and trial and error to try and get that look from T5s and MHs and many have acheived it or are damn close. I'm happy and wont be getting out of the latest fad. The Hydras are IME a way better light than the Sols and Vega's
Old 10-28-2013, 11:51 PM

thmh is on a distinguished road

+1 for great thread!

~Tony
Old 10-29-2013, 12:01 AM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
What? It's a great topic. Kind of what this site is about rather than a thread about "What is a corporation".
s
Yes the subject is very appropriate and I like reading about others experiences and opinions but its someones relentless push to have everyone conform to their way of thinking and opinion that has me a wee bit bent. I have LED and think they're fine.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:14 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorjef View Post
I have LED and think they're fine.
And you'd be right. They are fine. Nothing wrong with them, even the "cheap" AIs They do a really nice job, have great features not available with any other technology and grow corals as advertised. And depending on the tank owned, there may be nothing better. I did like many aspects of mine, but in a mature SPS tank, where I've watched the progression from MH to LED to T5, they were not the best for my tank. Nothing wrong with that, I wished they were enough, because I lost a lot of money selling them -lol I loved the dimming and control of the color (although once set, it's done).
I see tones in my SPS color now that I didn't even have with MH, so the decision, for my tank, was to not use them. That may not apply to the majority of people running various styles of reefs

Tags
aqua digital, pukani