Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-03-2012, 06:14 AM
Colony Growing Master

Rice Reef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
That's the idea, but you and I both know that in this hobby that's a hard rule for us with OCD to follow
LOL...you figured me out... Now Brad is gonna bug me even more.... I think I have close to 80 corals frags in the tank... Prob more now... Reason more to plan the second tank... Since I am going with a less rock approach, I can save the remaking live rocks for the second tank... So just need a new tank ( unless I keep my 90 but I am thinking of using the 90.

So here is my Christmas wish list...

- two mitras or two radion (pro)
- vertex alpha 200 skimmer ( or BK)

I have extra power heads, return pumps, phosban reactors and heaters so I won't need to spend on these...
Old 12-03-2012, 10:00 AM
Colony Growing Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duker View Post
Wow Wayne, those are soo SWEET!!!! Not to mention the snazzy photo skills! Cheers Ronnie
Hey, Ronnie, thanks! I'm sure your tank looks even sweeter! Have you started your build yet?
Old 12-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice Reef View Post
. Now Brad is gonna bug me even more.... I think I have close to 80 corals frags in the tank... Prob more now...
What are you suggesting? That I call you a frag whore? 'cause that's not something I would call you. Many others might, but not me. Nope.

As for new tank, I still can't figure out why you have an empty 12 foot wall in your room..just sayin'

And don't forget, I have another "frag" here for you. Ok, it's a colony, but Rich calls it a frag lol
Old 12-17-2012, 06:22 AM
Colony Growing Master

Learned that I do not have cyano ( thanks, Brad!) instead have red turf algae. I went nuts on water changes, chemi clean and Zeozym and more water changes the last 4-6 weeks...

So, went the the LFS and picked up five mexican turbo snails and eyeing on a rabbit fish to work on the red turf.

After another 20% water change today I checked the PO4 level with the Hanna...
.23... Almost fainted... Did another test again and the same result...
Then it hit me... I forgot to divide by 1000. Need to convert from ppb to ppm.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:53 AM
Colony Growing Master

After another 20% water change today I checked the PO4 level with the Hanna...
.23... Almost fainted... Did another test again and the same result...
[/quote]

So I checked the Hanna po4 checker and it is just the low range checker so it is already measuring at ppm.. My po4 is at .23...

This is after the water change... Will do another check tomorrow... All fish and corals are look fine... Fish are eating... Corals have lots of pe...I wonder if it could be the Zeozym...? Checked my RO water TDS meter reads .000...
Will have to get another test kit to be certain...
Old 12-17-2012, 01:41 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Hopefully you can get that down to 0 and the red stuff might just go away on it's own. While snails might remove the algae from the rock, it comes right back out into the water, causing algae to grow on the rock, repeat.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:52 PM
ChizerBunoi

The ZEOzym does combat slime types of algaes. It should be eliminating what's feeding that red turf algae that your fighting.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:19 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice Reef View Post
A
Are you using the low-range Phosphorous checker that reports in ppb? If so then to convert to phosphate first multiply by 3.066 then divide by 1000. (Nice and intuitive, no?)

But if it says ppm on the unit then you probably have the phosphate checker.

Took me a little while to realize they are two different checkers giving two different sets of results but at least you can convert the reading from one to the other with the handy dandy maths...

Sorry if I missed this info but are you running GFO? I ask because I notice you mention the zeovit products (Zeozym etc.) and FWIW, I was running zeovit on my tank with absolutely no testable reductions in PO4 over a period of well over a year. I started using gfo and that is the only thing that made a difference in my phosphate readings (and overall tank health)...
Old 12-17-2012, 07:45 PM
Colony Growing Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Are you using the low-range Phosphorous checker that reports in ppb? If so then to convert to phosphate first multiply by 3.066 then divide by 1000. (Nice and intuitive, no?)

But if it says ppm on the unit then you probably have the phosphate checker.

Took me a little while to realize they are two different checkers giving two different sets of results but at least you can convert the reading from one to the other with the handy dandy maths...

Sorry if I missed this info but are you running GFO? I ask because I notice you mention the zeovit products (Zeozym etc.) and FWIW, I was running zeovit on my tank with absolutely no testable reductions in PO4 over a period of well over a year. I started using gfo and that is the only thing that made a difference in my phosphate readings (and overall tank health)...
I checked and the "ppm" is on the checker... Must be my old age...missed it entirely and googled it for more details thinking I had to do calculus to figure it out.

I am only using the following zeovit products... Coral snow, Zeozym and Biomate... I wonder if it is a coincidence... The phosphate had only shot up recently when I started to use Zeozym... It is suppose to help break down protein as well as helping to increase build up of bacteria. I had recently used chemi clean thinking that I had cyano and probably reduced the good bacteria in the tank... so I started to use Zeozym, MB7 and Biomate together. I did another test with the Hanna today and it dropped to .21... Making morevRO water right now so I can do another water change tonight... All the fish are well, the tangs are picking at the algae off the rocks and all the corals are seemed to be content...
Ca is at 460; mg:1300 (working to bring this up to (1400); Alk: 8;sg: 1.026; no3: 2(low range).
Going to try and get some phosphate remover while doing more water changes as I have stopped running GFO when switched over to biopellets... Currently also dosing vinegar... Guess I had better pick some GFO too... Lucky I am on holiday right now...

Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:48 PM
Colony Growing Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Hopefully you can get that down to 0 and the red stuff might just go away on it's own. While snails might remove the algae from the rock, it comes right back out into the water, causing algae to grow on the rock, repeat.
Brad, thanks for the support working on it right now... Started to do 20% water changes last week... On my second week s**t happens...