Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 10-28-2013, 10:19 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua-Digital View Post
I disagree, reading through this thread and the very similar one on RC there are more than a few posting they are ditching LED because they do not believe they can grow corals or produce colour.
I don't know what rock those people are living under, because clearly "those people" did not see our current TANK OF THE MONTH, or Dez's Tank, or Asylumdown's awesome Radion tank, or the past RC Tank of the Month. I could go on and on.. Seriously, there are examples of nice LED tanks EVERYWHERE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua-Digital View Post
If the argument is not that, then why would you ditch LED and go back to T5 or MH? I think im losing the plot here in all this to be honest
I already answered this. The argument (if we can call it that), is simply that some people do not prefer how it looks to them. This is all very subjective which means you can't, and shouldn't be trying to tell someone what they should and should not like. I don't like Ferraris. This doesn't mean that they are crap or that they don't work. If someone were to give me a Ferarri I wouldn't want it! I would give it back or donate it to charity. This doesn't mean the Ferrari is crap! It simply means I do not prefer it. In fact, if someone were to give me 3 free Mitras today, I would not install them. This DOES NOT mean that they are crap or that they don't work! This just means that I do not want to run them. Why can't someone not want something ??

And on that train of thought, it has been proven that some corals will appear different under the various light technologies. This again is yet another reason why people simply PREFER one technology over another. They might simply PREFER how corals appear under a particular technology.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:36 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

I like the look of the water with the radion.but I love it under halide. Less shadowing. I could have solved that with another radion but on a 24" tank it's pointless
I didn't care for that much shimmer of the led
Growth rate for me...some pieces grew under led some not so much. But I will say growth has double under the halide.
As for color. I am seeing more color with the halide. Plain and simple. I have one piece that was green under the radion and now is blue violet with green and yellow undertones. So nice I had to name it

I do miss the amount of blues I can add with led but its a factor I can live with or fix.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:38 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Yes, some people with current LED fixtures are ditching them, but not so much because their LED couldn't grow SPS. They are ditching them because they simply prefer the look of a different lighting technology. This doesn't mean that LEDs suck or that LEDs don't work. They simply did not prefer that LED light. It's as simple as that!
You know, I really don't understand this whole ditching LEDs discussion. As I mentioned earlier, I used to have T5s before I went to Radions, and can't imagine going back. No question, they are a lot cooler and cost less energy, incl less chiller running. And yet some here have argued otherwise!!! Don't know what they are smoking...

As for the looks, yes, T5s are nice, but I can adjust my LED colours to anything I want, and by time of day. I can make SPS glow, if I want...

I run mine on the Natural Mode which simulates the sun through the day, and my corals seem to really like it. SPS keeps growing like crazy and getting good colour out of everything. I tried playing with different colours, but I honestly don't like the "artificial" look. And I have seen some tanks like that, and each to their own, I guess.

IMO, I think a lot of non-LED users here are being very much misled. Maybe some LEDs are not as good, and maybe some people don't know how to use theirs properly with all the different settings and adjustments.

But my Radions (both Gen 1s and Gen 2s) have all worked flawlessly from day 1, and I couldn't be happier with them.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:39 PM

Aqua-Digital is on a distinguished road

Ok so back to square one, the original question who else is ditching LED for other options

we have proved LED works if you employ the right fixture, we have proved T5 work we have proved MH work.

so what other options other than the above are people moving to? Am i missing some new technology?

In regards to the point people are dumping LED because they dont like the look, I find this impossible to understand as (again) providing you are using a worthy fixture if you dont like the look just change the spectrum, easier than you can with any T5 or MH.

So the argument is not growth not colour, not health ........Ok Im lost
Old 10-28-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
You know, I really don't understand this whole ditching LEDs discussion. As I mentioned earlier, I used to have T5s before I went to Radions, and can't imagine going back. No question, they are a lot cooler and cost less energy, incl less chiller running. And yet some here have argued otherwise!!! Don't know what they are smoking...

As for the looks, yes, T5s are nice, but I can adjust my LED colours to anything I want, and by time of day. I can make SPS glow, if I want...

I run mine on the Natural Mode which simulates the sun through the day, and my corals seem to really like it. SPS keeps growing like crazy and getting good colour out of everything. I tried playing with different colours, but I honestly don't like the "artificial" look. And I have seen some tanks like that, and each to their own, I guess.

IMO, I think a lot of non-LED users here are being very much misled. Maybe some LEDs are not as good, and maybe some people don't know how to use theirs properly with all the different settings and adjustments.

But my Radions (both Gen 1s and Gen 2s) have all worked flawlessly from day 1, and I couldn't be happier with them.
excellent post well written.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:48 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

The latter half of this thread make me want to unplug my tank and let it die...
Old 10-28-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorjef View Post
The latter half of this thread make me want to unplug my tank and let it die...
I hear where you are coming from, I think the plot has been lost. Or I have simply lost the plot
Old 10-28-2013, 10:51 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
It seems more and more people are coming out of the lighting closet. Who else is ditching their LEDs for other options??
Old 10-28-2013, 10:53 PM

waynemah is on a distinguished road

I was able to grow huge colonies from frags with LED. But when you want the coverage and brightness, you need to spend big $$$. This is where the line was drawn for me.

Maybe LED's have too many options and not enough testing. You can easily tune yourself out of an acceptable range for your corals. I would invest in an LED again if there were limited presets with static height/coverage requirements. Don't over sell/rate your product and give the customer an educated recipe for optimal coral color and growth.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemah View Post
I would invest in an LED again if there were limited presets with static height/coverage requirements. Don't over sell/rate your product and give the customer an educated recipe for optimal coral color and growth.
This is something that GHL have thought about doing. A cut down unit with known workable presets, bit like using different preset T5 tubes.

Tags
aqua digital, pukani