Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-10-2010, 04:05 PM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

Looking good Brett. If that abrolhosensis keeps growing like that I might even be able to get a piece of it back next year some time. I miss that coral.

Greg
Old 12-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceboy View Post
wow your growth is fantastic, and the colors are unreal. can i ask, are you using np pellets or zeo or vodka dosing, or anything else?
I used the pellets on my Solana but the overall volume of them never really changed much over the course of months. I don't think they were working correctly and I think the reason was my Tunze 9002 basically pulled zero out. I wasn't impressed at all with that skimmer. I switched to RowaPhos and had a strange outbreak of some black algae. Now I'm using the BRS HC GFO and it seems to work better. Bit of a ramble there but no I'm not running anything besides carbon and gfo. I try my best to have the colours look true to life on my screen but I do find the mac screens show images less saturated. When I drag the photos over to my second screen the colours are maybe ever so slightly too colourful. Tough to say what you're seeing but it's close either way thanks for the nice words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy View Post
Looking good Brett. If that abrolhosensis keeps growing like that I might even be able to get a piece of it back next year some time. I miss that coral.
Yeah I spoke a bit soon on RC Greg but of course when I've got a couple branches going I'll snap you off a piece. Abrolhosensis... Abrolhosensis... Abrolhosensis... I originally pulled the spelling off your own site but have since obviously forgotten how to spell the darn thing. I can't get over the tips on this thing...the blue seems to actually glow I can't wait until I have a mini colony of the stuff.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:44 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Oh dear... I always thought blue nuts weren't all that good but what do I know.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:52 PM

Snappy is on a distinguished road
Default A.abrolhosensis

"thread hi-jack"

Brett that coral went through several morphs & color changes for me over the years depending on the light and other conditions so here is a few examples of what it used to look like for me back in the day.

Lot's of light near the top.

With less light mid tank but it was more light blue than grey unlike the picture shows & the tips are always bright "dark" blue.

Greg
Old 12-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Holy cow those are the same?! Yeah mine is def much closer to the second pic. I think a lot of that has to do with PE. Mine is very hairy like your second pic and the polyps are a ice blue sorta colour.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:55 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Wicked photo Brett! That Salty nuts acro is one sweet looking piece, all of these wicked looking SPS tanks are making me regret parting with mine.

Quote:
SWC Extreme 160. Cheap and awesome!
Funny how that works some times, any noise coming off of it? My API BM 250 is driving me CRAZY, the one impeller makes the most irritating vibrating noise (and of course it's right next to my bed).
Old 12-10-2010, 06:57 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Mmmm photos! I love how this tank is turning out.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoaElite View Post
Wicked photo Brett! That Salty nuts acro is one sweet looking piece, all of these wicked looking SPS tanks are making me regret parting with mine.

Funny how that works some times, any noise coming off of it? My API BM 250 is driving me CRAZY, the one impeller makes the most irritating vibrating noise (and of course it's right next to my bed).
Yeah without growth tips the coral (mine at least) is pretty plain looking. I totally love the growth tips though and as I get more of them I love this coral more and more! I'll need a pile of zoas in the new year so maybe I can snap a branch off of it for the visit =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michika View Post
Mmmm photos! I love how this tank is turning out.
Thanks me too. My only regret with the scape is that it's a pretty tight formation and my frags are mounted pretty close together but I wanted lots of them lol. I can weed out the non performers I guess. That and if I pull out for a straight on FTS it looks like all I have is rock haha. Patience sucks!
Old 12-10-2010, 08:04 PM

TheMikey is on a distinguished road

Looking great! What's your dosing schedule look like? I skimmed back earlier but was wondering if anything had changed.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Gold Member

Thanks I'm still dosing BRS 2-part just a tiny bit more than when I moved into this tank. Used to be roughly 6mL of Ca and 8mL of Alk daily and now it's 8mL of Ca and 12mL Alk. So I'm barely dosing at all you could say lol. Reef Crystals has much higher levels than I target. I shoot for 420 and 8 and RC contains 480+ and 10+.