Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 10-28-2013, 03:47 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua-Digital View Post
I just dont see the purpose of Hybrids. T5 on their own for years have been a leading source for some of the worlds best tanks, so other than some tweak-able moonlight and shimmer what is the point?

Either be one or the other, but that's my own feeling.
Once upon a time, people used to think T5s are just for supplements. And now LED took over that title. Its just part of the evolution Don't worry Michael, LED is the future. Its just that, the word "future" represents a very broad spectrum (no pun intended)

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 10-28-2013, 04:08 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

As for growth, I've actually seen more growth with the T5 over the last month, with old bulbs. We'll see what the next month brings with the new fixture/bulbs. I do agree tho, that adding some supplemental LED is desirable.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:17 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Hold up guys! I need to pop another bag into the nuker..

... okay, continue.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:15 AM

Aqua-Digital is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
Once upon a time, people used to think T5s are just for supplements. And now LED took over that title. Its just part of the evolution Don't worry Michael, LED is the future. Its just that, the word "future" represents a very broad spectrum (no pun intended)
exactly, so it up to the consumer to decide if the technology is there for them now, if not wait, but as I said before if you spend the money on the right LED fixture the technology is already there. But I fear as i said in my RC post (well received I might add,,yeah! or no sorry phewww) people are dumping out LED in many cases because they invested in fixtures that do not employ or do not have the ability to work correctly.

couple of reasons

disco ball - great for a bit of Bony M in the living room on a Saturday night but for growing corals thats a big no no, corals need as someone said above "uniformed spectrum" how on earth do you get that with a glitter ball dancing off the sand bed?

Its all about convergence, getting the LED's to become one, and this is where an LED is made or broken, Mitras spent 2 years getting this right, I know ecotech have their own concepts also. Many others seem to use off the shelf lenses not specifically made for aquariums.

Hybrid T5 - yep I cant knock it, stable OLD technology with some LED's added to try and corner both camps, however even ATi do not see a long term future in the fixture after talking at Macna even they admit LED is the future, its just that not everyone has the money to invest in the fixtures that do perform. So my advise is, dont then, you are wasting your money, either save a little monger and buy the technology that is available, or stick with the trusted methods of T5 or MH.

Nobody that I am aware of has ever said LED is better than either. Well ok I will, (oh crap!) with the right fixture it is better because of the infinite control and the lack of bulb changing, in regards to coral growth and health, no its not "better", but I believe the right fixtures certainly match MH and T5 on that level.

Last edited by Aqua-Digital; 10-28-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:28 AM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Sad part is Michael is that since led have come out it's getting to be harder to find old tech in the new section of the store. With manufactures dropping mh the consumers become forced to buy into new tech to which they may not be able to afford. Hence some people buying cheaper units.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:35 AM

I 100% agree with you on this. And to be honest i am not sure of the answer, dealers will stock what is in demand, if they don't the next store will.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:48 AM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I 100% agree with you on this. And to be honest i am not sure of the answer, dealers will stock what is in demand, if they don't the next store will.
Demanded maybe so. But I would think its what's made available to a store front.
My comment earlier about suppliers pushing what they sell also shows this as your not going to push a product you don't offer. As any store would loose sales. That's the way it is.
We all know that earlier tech has done the job. But you know longer hear of great halide tanks other than Kien.
I'm sure if all three lighting styles were pushed buy stores then manufactures may keep distributing them. At least until three lighting types were par on price. And people could afford to take the next step to new tech

I had a time finding halide equip new and I'm sure its a matter of time before bulbs are phased out
Old 10-28-2013, 09:54 PM

well to add some fun into this thread I thought i would start a "can a mitras grow a sorry looking SPS test"

well here are my test subjects both came from the bottom of a friend of mines old tank, he was not even aware the bit of life left in the stag horn even had polyps let alone colour.

Just for fun lets see what the Mitras can do with these two in the next month.

Oh and here is the test bed (not the best shot I might add)

Old 10-28-2013, 10:06 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
well to add some fun into this thread I thought i would start a "can a mitras grow a sorry looking SPS test"
It boggles my mind that in this day and age, that anyone would even be asking this question. We've seen over and over again how LEDs can grow and colour SPS. This has been demonstrated over and over and over and over again. SPOILER ALERT: the answer is yes.

Yes, some people with current LED fixtures are ditching them, but not so much because their LED couldn't grow SPS. They are ditching them because they simply prefer the look of a different lighting technology. This doesn't mean that LEDs suck or that LEDs don't work. They simply did not prefer that LED light. It's as simple as that!

To me this is the equivalent of trying to convince someone that they need a Ferrari. Can a Ferrari get you to the grocery store and back? Yes it can. Does everyone need a Ferrari to take them to the grocery store and back? No. Should everyone WANT a Ferrari just because it's the hottest looking piece of tailpipe on the road? No ! But we all know that a Ferrari can in fact take you to the grocery store. Just because a bunch of people prefer to get to the grocery store by other means does not mean that the Ferrari is a piece of junk. Do we really need to conduct more polls and tests to see if a Ferrari can get you to the grocery store?!

</soapbox>
</rant>

Last edited by kien; 10-28-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:09 PM

I disagree, reading through this thread and the very similar one on RC there are more than a few posting they are ditching LED because they do not believe they can grow corals or produce colour.

If the argument is not that, then why would you ditch LED and go back to T5 or MH? I think im losing the plot here in all this to be honest

Tags
aqua digital, pukani