Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Pictures

Old 04-03-2006, 03:23 AM

NanoReef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to NanoReef

Quote:
Then again, if you're unsure of the ideal calcium levels for a reef tank, I think you've got a bit of reading to do before adding anything!
I did know what ideal cal. levels are but i didnt know why my test was that high. i said...
Quote:
i thought it was supposed to be 450 ppm or something??
Quote:
I'd give constructive criticism if there was anything to critisize looks great so far! I'm a big fan of your aquascaping! Can't wait to see it with life on it.
Thanks! i will try to get a bit better picture of the rock work later but for now im focused on getting coral in there!!!
again, thanks for the compliment
Old 04-03-2006, 04:49 AM

TheReefGeek is on a distinguished road

That level seems REALLY high, I would try with a different test kit if you can, or bring it to a LFS to test for you.

Old 04-03-2006, 06:07 AM

vanreefer is on a distinguished road

you really need to know ALK and MG as all of these form a balance... I would definately correct all these values before adding anything to the tank... see bev's chemistry links for more details
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19425
Old 04-03-2006, 02:03 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoReef
what is ideal calcium levels for a reef tank???? i thought it was supposed to be 450 ppm or something??
Sorry, maybe I am not clear.. but it appears that you ARE asking what the ideal calcium levels are for a reef tank are, and your unsure of the proper level ?

Either way, good luck with the new setup.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:26 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Personally I think you have a good setup, However you really need to start reading up more to fully understand the background of Salt water. Its challenging alone just with Fish only. But when addign Corals to the tank you taking on a different ball game. I'm not saying that you don't know what you are talking about. But may be its me it seems that you are doing things as you go. I'm not saying it's wrong ,but you need to read more.
IMO doing a Reef tank its not about buying new equiptment and getting all top gear. Its about understanding Reef chemistry, knowing when to check when to add how long should i run This for. Etc etc.

You can run a setup with the bare bones GOd know, I have done it and most likely alot of us here who have more time in the hobby then me have done it too..
Maybe enhance your reading in the hobby more. read up on things that you wanna try. Every tank is different in its own little way. Now you can listen to me and the rest of the experince people who has alot more level then me or you can just ignore what I have to say and do what you want to do.
good luck on your decision.

and remember I'm a 2 min drive away and a phone call
Old 04-03-2006, 02:38 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road

I agree with Mike 100%.

When I first started out with LR and two Clowns... I was confused enough (and I'm not saying you're new to the hobby). Then I started seeing pictures of corals, and instantly.. I wanted them all! haha. Then I realized you need proper lighting, then proper reef chemistry, then this, that and the other thing. What it all comes down to, is reading, and research. Ask questions , no matter what they are... someone will be here to help.

It's not worth losing a bunch of corals, and money... in the end, you'll just end up coming back to do the reading and research. I jumped in way too quickly myself... bought a big zoo rock (which thrived.. becuase, they're zoos!) and a hammer. Because I didn't know anything about calcium , or alk, pH, etc.... the hammer just died on me right away.

Anyways, by no means should this come across as an attack towards you, it's actually the complete opposite. We're trying to save you hassle, and money... and after all, what's a half hour of reading anyhow?

Good luck to you! Cheers.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:50 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus
exactly that is my point about the mag 18 What i would do is install a big power head like a hagen 800 400 gph and have the mag 18 on the CL like you have stated
and then you have all that reactoion time for the skimmer to clean the water even more.
if the sump is designed right it won't be a problem, I have 4000gph flowing through a 33 gal sump and no micro bubbles. I would be more inclined to look at the baffle design or a leak in the return pump plumbing.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:52 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoReef
what is ideal calcium levels for a reef tank???? im wondering if i tested wrong but i got 640 ppm.....? i thought it was supposed to be 450 ppm or something??
hard to say, depending on your Alk even 400 may be to high. 380 to 400 is an ideal range to shoot for with a alk about 10dkh. anything over 400 and you are waisting Ca and increasing the deposits on your pumps for no reason.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:01 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Steve what is with answering the older posts.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:50 AM

NanoReef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to NanoReef

well, i had a molly in there, and it was doing very well for abot 1 week. So i tryed a couple zoo frags. they are also doing very well, so today i put a green coral goby in and once again, he is doing great!!! im very excited, now the coral filling process begins!!! i will post pics soon!