Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-04-2002, 11:46 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Just another tidbit, HQI is available in both Double ended and Mogual sockets. Most European MH bulbs (Like AB) are actualy HQI bulbs but sence HQI is a copyrighted term used to describe a type of MH bulb made by Sylvaina for the film industry (hapens to be daylight and higher colors for movie sets) in reality there are no HQI bulbs in the aquarium industry as I have never heard of anyone using a Sylvaina bulb yet.

ballasts, that are called "HQI" are realy just ballasts that aproxamate the voltages and currents used in europ to fire there bulbs. for example all HQI will run on a normal ballast with a starter, but they will run at a cooler color temp and lower intensity. this is because a NA ballast pushes a spicific current at 120V. European bulbs are designed to run at 100V and a little higher curent. If you look at a Ansi M80 ballast (the same as the PFO 250 watt HQI) you will see it is a higher curent than you would expect but a lower voltage. This is what the 250 watt european bulbs are designed to operate at.. in some cases they have added starters to make them work reliably with NA ballast but they still are not burning to spec.

what does this mean.. well in theory anyone using a AB, Ushio, BLV ect bulb on a NA ballast should have a shorter bulb life and premature color shift that if you were running it on the proper ballast.. also the output will be less. Now this is theory but it seams to be well acepted theory , Look at Sanjay's results on tests with pulse start and HQI ballasts laitly..

SO the next question you have is " well if this is true why isn't everyone buying M80 ballast for there 250 watt MH?" well simple I can go buy a standard NA ballast for a 250 watt MH for 68.00 + tax.. for a bare Ansi M80 ballast I am looking at 156.00 + tax (hense the reason I have not fired up the bulbs I bought yet I think I might be able to afford two ballast in the early new year).

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 12-05-2002, 01:31 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

Steve, do you have a url for these M80 ballasts ? I am suspecting next year I will change out my ballasts on the 155g.
Old 12-05-2002, 02:49 AM

well no place online to buy from.. what you have to do is call every place in town ad see what the best price you can get is... so far the best I have found is 156.00 but I have two others telling me that they should be able to get them lower than that... we will see.. if any of you find a lower price let me know please!

the Advance Catalog Number for there M80 ballast is 71A5880. This is the same type of ballast used in the PFO HQI 250 watt Ballasts (confermed by PFO although they wouldent tell me which brand it was LOL)

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 12-05-2002, 02:53 AM

reefburnaby is on a distinguished road

EmilyB and Stircrazy,

J&L Aquatics.
$149 for bare PFO HQI ballast.

- Victor.
Old 12-05-2002, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefburnaby
EmilyB and Stircrazy,

J&L Aquatics.
$149 for bare PFO HQI ballast.

- Victor.
+10 bucks for shipping.. not as cheep as local anymore..

but .. onthe bright side I could get a shiney PFO case and plugs in a duel setup for only 340.00 which is what I am going to do if I can't get them cheep enuf to make it worth buying a case.

Steve

Old 12-05-2002, 03:00 AM

How does that compare/or what is the difference to the Hamilton ballast which I am running (175w). It certainly does a fine job with the Ushios...on that tank? :?

ELECTRONIC METAL HALIDE 250 WATT BALLAST

Cool operating, silent & energy saving. Potted, moisture resistant ballast which provides reduced lamp flicker and consistent lumen output. UL approved. Works with all 250 Watt lamps. Works with all 250 Watt HQI double-ended. 8 1/2"L x 3 1/2"W x 2 1/8"H
Old 12-05-2002, 03:02 AM

Is this of some concern
Old 12-05-2002, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyB
Is this of some concern
No it isn't.. that is the PFO coplete systems.. the cord they were using to go TO the bulb was not rated for a high enuf temp .. because of the smaller closed in reflectors the double ended bulbs are using the temps were hoter than antisapated.. hence the wires melting..

Steve

Old 12-05-2002, 04:22 AM

Josh23 is on a distinguished road

wow
this just becomes more and more confusing.
I was thinking of running 10,000 K as they seem to be used by most reefers, although in relatity I dont know whats better for what.
Old 12-05-2002, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh23
wow
this just becomes more and more confusing.
I was thinking of running 10,000 K as they seem to be used by most reefers, although in relatity I dont know whats better for what.
Welcome to thewonderfull world of lighting Josh I ahev been reading for almost 2 years on differenttypes and the benifits of this over that and what I have found is alot of it is personal tast. you can run a Ushio on regular MH ballast and if you are happy with the look and growth fine.. if you have extra money youcan buy a more expensive ballast .. and if you are happy with the look and growth... fine :P

Take Brad for eg.. his 400 watt Ushio's started looking green to hime.. so he bought sun agor ballasts because they are suposidly better.. well they are a lot brighter now and he thinks they are more white (still waiting for the starts to stop I think) :shock:

as for VHO or PC.. it is personal choice.. VHO is almost as powerfull as PC.. (so cloes that it won't matter if you are using them for actinics) I like 10000K PC's with VHO actinics and MH to simulate the hot part of the afternoon. I have been getting wonderfull color and good growth (now that I actualy have a Ca level ) so I will stick with my set up because it works for me.

Basicly the only advice I can offer in a general sence, is to say that you need to find out your ultamate goal (as in what you want to keep down the road)... see what others that have simular ideas are doing and go from that.. at that point you will have spicific questions that will be much easyer to answer 8)

hope this didn't add to the confusion to much

Steve