Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-26-2013, 10:20 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracey2 View Post
Daniella, thanks for starting this thread, its time we figures this out, too many people cannot keep zoas. I love zoas and mine used to grow amazingly, then one day they started to melt, not all of them just certain colonies. I don't think it has anything to do with nitrates, mine read 0, I have noticed impovement with more frequent larger water changes so they must need something replenished. I am going to try strontium and will report back, thanks again.
That's zoa alright

Now-a-days, whenever someone tells me "zoa/paly are beginner's coral", I chuckle

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 06-26-2013, 10:52 PM

mikepclo is on a distinguished road

Zoa's don't seem to like my tank as well...following this thread for sure!

Please keep us updated with testing as I've read Strontium is hard to test???

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2013, 05:09 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

In the reefaction forum there is a chymist that has access to a very large pro lab (He's the head of the metal testing dept.) and he's willing to help test the test kits for strontium to see which is more precise. He was the one who analyzed my water and pointed out the low level of strontium. Strontium in natural sea water is around 12ppm and in my tank the strontium is constantly at 6ppm, so quite low. It seem that even water changes does not manage to keep the strontium level to a normal level.

He analyzed the water from around 10 different tanks and all were low in strontium, even those that are doing water changes each week. Why? I don't know. Maybe some of the corals and creatures we keep in our aquariums are consuming more strontium than we think.

He has been dosing strontium for a year. He's lucky to have acccess to a big lab so he can test this easily and he keep is level around 10ppm I beleive. After we manage to determine which test is better, I will be testing my water again to see if I am dosing correcly. I will try to keep my strontium level around 10ppm or so.

I would not advise dosing strontium regulary without testing. One could surely try to add a bit of it to see if it would help their declining zoanthids but before going wild with this and starting to dose, I would test.

I posted this so that maybe someone with problem zoanthids could also verify if they are getting some results by dosing a bit of strontium and to see if it help. It seem that most of our tanks are low in strontium and it is rare to see one with proper level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracey2 View Post
Daniella, thanks for starting this thread, its time we figures this out, too many people cannot keep zoas. I love zoas and mine used to grow amazingly, then one day they started to melt, not all of them just certain colonies. I don't think it has anything to do with nitrates, mine read 0, I have noticed impovement with more frequent larger water changes so they must need something replenished. I am going to try strontium and will report back, thanks again.

Last edited by daniella3d; 06-27-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:50 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Calcareous corals can incorporate strontium into their skeletons, hence with the Sr levels will deplete over time.

Daniella, if you can, see if he can test some of your freshly mixed water before a water change. I'd be curious to know if the Sr levels are already low in your salt mix, which would give you consistently low readings. We might be able to pinpoint what is using it the most.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Calcareous corals can incorporate strontium into their skeletons, hence with the Sr levels will deplete over time.

Daniella, if you can, see if he can test some of your freshly mixed water before a water change. I'd be curious to know if the Sr levels are already low in your salt mix, which would give you consistently low readings. We might be able to pinpoint what is using it the most.
+1. Many salts skip on proper levels of such elements. Maybe because of their expense? Or to keep the market of the trace elements alive?

Old 06-27-2013, 06:16 PM

Here's a nice article on strontium by none other than Dr. Randy

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/11/chemistry

Looks like seawater actually has around 8ppm (not 12ppm) so Daniella's strontium is not very low (6ppm) but that 25% can make some big difference I guess. Did you test it after dosing? I looked into aquavitro salinity and H2ocean's salt mix analysis and they seem to guarantee strontium anywhere between 8 to 10ppm.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:55 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

He's already done such test and only one seem to be quite low in strontium:

http://www.reefaction.com/nosforums/...em.php?id=1792

http://www.reefaction.com/nosforums/...em.php?id=1936

But it seem that even people using a salt with good amount of strontium might still be low in this element, thus the use of testing.

I am using IO Reef crystal salt wich has a concentration of strontium quite high with 12ppm and yet I am always low on that element.

Only the Royal Nature salt seem to be really low on strontium, all others seem to be fine and also the second batch of Royal nature he tested had much higher level of strontium near 10ppm.

http://www.reefaction.com/nosforums/...em.php?id=1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post

Last edited by daniella3d; 06-27-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:30 AM

11purewater is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
That's zoa alright

Now-a-days, whenever someone tells me "zoa/paly are beginner's coral", I chuckle
I agree with that!
Old 06-28-2013, 01:48 AM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

Last time i tried zoas they melted so quickly as if in acid.
Now i want to try again with Strontium, but don't want to waste the money again.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:49 AM

xoticlover is on a distinguished road

Recently a friend and I have become zoa and paly addicts. We have around 20-25 types each in our tanks and really haven't had any problems. I have kept them for many years and never had any "melt". I use IO regular salt and dose with c-balance and vitamin c. Never actually checked my strontium levels but the C-balance does have strontium in it.