Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics livestock related only)

Old 06-24-2013, 08:33 PM

JTang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobytron View Post
Used to be true.
But due to the changes in importation regulation, this is no longer the case as is mentioned in this thread.
No wonder why so many ppl pm'ed me when I posted my crocea last week! I should have asked for more! Haaha!
2nd Anniversary Video
120 Gal Reef (30 Gal Sump)
3 Tangs (Yellow, Hippo, Purple), Flame Angel, 2 Clowns, 2 Demsel, Six-line Wrasse, Strawberry Dottyback, Tube Anemone

46 Gal Bowfront Predator
Lunare Wrasse, Tomini Tang, Hawkfish, Snowflake Eel, Picasso Trigger, Valentini Puffer, Devil Demsel, Tomato Clown, Orange Urchin, 2 RBTA
Old 06-24-2013, 08:41 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjntm View Post
Importation laws have changed... this is correct... unless you have previously picked them up, it sounds like it will be a LONG time before getting any more... unless you are going to risk your own livelyhood and smuggle it accross the border, ****ting yourself the whole time wondering if you will be locked up for it...lol...

on a side note... I have debated selling mine for a bit, and am on the fence, as it looks out of place in my 220 gal sps dominant display tank, doesn't help that it is getting huge....Picture doesn't do it any justice, but this is the Ult grade XL Teardrop squamosa. Pic doesn't rly do it any justice as the color looks washed and dull in the photo. but here it is, paid $180 last year from fragalot when it was 2/3's the size it is now... pm me if interested.

Here is a pic for more of size referencing, this is my 220 gal display, it is in front of the bottom right side of the archway (middle of tank)

the regulations arnt for squamosa's , and it is regional so the two species affected are t. maxima and t. crocea but only if canada does not already have an existing agreement with the country of origin.

this does not mean the end to clams or those species it just means some places are going to be harder to get them out of while some places are not affected at all.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...highlight=clam
Old 06-24-2013, 08:43 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
the regulations arnt for squamosa's , and it is regional so the two species affected are t. maxima and t. crocea but only if canada does not already have an existing agreement with the country of origin.

this does not mean the end to clams or those species it just means some places are going to be harder to get them out of while some places are not affected at all.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...highlight=clam
Supply and Demand.
If our supply has been cut off then demand will go up along with prices while availability goes down.

Talk to any LFS right now and they do not even know if/when they can bring in more maxima/crocea clams.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:05 PM

khan82 is on a distinguished road

Your pictures are just making me want them more!
Old 06-24-2013, 10:34 PM
R.I.P.

Quote:

Talk to any LFS right now and they do not even know if/when they can bring in more maxima/crocea clams.

i work at a lfs and do the ordering for livestock, i get to see the order lists on a daily/weekly basis as they come in and i talk to the suppliers reguarily, i just did a maxima order of about 10 clams a few weeks ago , like i said its certain areas not all areas and its certain clams not all clams.

supply and demand has always been a factor long before regulations.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:37 PM
Banned

So you'll have 10 clams coming in at the same price as they used to sell for?
same quality and everything?

Exactly...
supply and demand.

Can you explain then how this will NOT affect supply and demand, since you clearly understand the concept?
Old 06-24-2013, 10:41 PM
R.I.P.

Quote:

Exactly...
supply and demand.

Can you explain then how this will NOT affect supply and demand, since you clearly understand the concept?
again depends on where they come from and type of clams , like i said some clams wont make it to canada( tahiti ) while some will ( vietnam) and so i can still get certain clams from certain areas for yes the same price while some clams i could get years ago i cant get now.

a lfs may mark them up because of supply and demand ( as always) but not all will.

this may change as we negotiate with the countrys of origin but not a guarantee.

i have been working with some suppliers who are trying to get the proper paper work between our countrys and theirs but isnt a fast or easy process.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:43 PM
R.I.P.

Quote:

Exactly...
supply and demand.

when did i say it wouldnt effect supply or demand now your just putting words in my mouth. i said supply and demand was always a factor and that will never change , what one store marks up to another is their own thing so demand in YOUR area may be diff then mine no?
Old 06-24-2013, 10:44 PM
R.I.P.

this is quoted from your thread sure from one of the key players in clam imports into canada

" The issue with T. maxima and T. crocea is a result of the new Health of Animals Regulations that are overseen by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. These molluscs are on the susceptible species list due to the fact that they can carry Perkinsus olseni.

The new regulations require an import permit (separate from CITES) from a country of origin that has a negotiated agreement with the Canadian government. All imports will require the import permit as well as a health certificate from the approved country of origin.

This still means that the two species of clams are available for import. Just now it requires a little bit more work."
Old 06-24-2013, 10:49 PM
Banned

So my point here is that due to regulatory changes, clams would be harder and more expensive to get and would be seen less frequently than in the past.

What is yours?