Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics hardware related only)

Old 06-07-2013, 11:50 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Well, actually, it is the buyers who set the price. Stuff is only worth what people are willing to pay for it, whether it is a car, house, stock, or reef livestock and equipment. If you can't sell something within a reasonable period of time then your price is out of line. Same applies if it sells the first day, or hour. So that is why a little search on canreef is a good idea before deciding on what your listing price should be.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:01 AM

Rodney is on a distinguished road

The way I see it on here anyway is that 90 percent of us already have setups on the go so it's mainly the addiction that drives us to aquire more and more. It's not out of necessity so much as desire so most here are willing to wait for that crazy deal. I do agree it's more hardware than livestock
Old 06-08-2013, 01:20 AM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Does this forum drive down pricing??
Quick economics, ignoring most factors: Forum results in an increase in demand, if the supply stays the same then in theory the price should INCREASE, not decrease.

To give you an example of this, with out the use of a forum for people to see lets say "Tyree Space Monsters" there would be less demand, less people wanting it drives the market price down. I would argue the opposite, a forum increases prices because it increases demand.

That being said the above statement really doesn't hold in a real world argument, too many factors to directly correlate this forum with a supply/demand market.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:25 AM

windcoast reefs is on a distinguished road

I think it drives down prices, but it also gives a much larger market for sales, so it sells faster. I don't mind loosing a bit if it benefits someone else on the forum.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:30 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Pretty simple, sell things for for the price you want. Besides a few comments on grossly overpriced items, that eventually do get removed, nobody forces anyone here to sell things less than the seller advertises. Why not take advantage of the added exposure your items get here, doesn't mean you can't advertise elsewhere at the same time.

Ultimately Canreef is probably the best place to sell used equipment and livestock in Canada, it's a 100% target audience. It'll sell for what it's worth eventually, time typically plays the biggest role in what things sell for. I assure you, you'll get a lot more tire kickers and low balls on places like Kijiji, at least with a member system there is some accountability.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:52 AM

11purewater is on a distinguished road

It's a black market subculture,but it works.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:07 AM

sorry white market.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:09 AM

SanguinesDream is on a distinguished road

Meh.

I've been on the receiving end of some really awesome deals from some very generous sellers of livestock. But I've noticed that people develop a personal attachment to livestock as we nurture and purchase specialty foods, hardware and maintain the chemistry of our tanks to capitalize on growth potential for the critters we take into our care.

As a result, sellers seem to be willing to take a hit if they recognize that the piece of livestock/fish would have a better environment and/or access to care.

On the other hand, that should NOT be the expectation of seller who has had the fish for a long time or the livestock from a well established tank or from a huge mother colony. You cannot compare the prices from the LFS for a quarter sized juvenile fish to a seller who has matured and nourished that fish into adulthood. THAT kind of behaviour is intolerable, imho.

I don't like when a seller is harassed by tire kickers on the forum. That is akin to bullying and I have little tolerance for that. If you don't agree with the price, take it to a pm or scroll on by. Easy as that. But don't bitch and moan about in public, that is classless. If it truly is an exhorbitant price, the seller will clue in when no one responds to the ad, market forces, yadayadayada...
Old 06-08-2013, 02:22 AM

This is a hobby for the most part,and the money exchanging hands is more want than need,nobody has an endless supply of anything.That's why we look on for sale post's even though everything ok.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:43 AM

fishpoops is on a distinguished road

To me buying something used at 75 percent of new cost is not generally worth it for hardware items. 60 to 50 percent ok. I guess it depends on budget too.