Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-06-2013, 05:09 AM
Islander

reeferfulton is on a distinguished road

this build is looking great .. Stand looks pretty bad ass to me .
will be following this thread for sure !
Old 03-06-2013, 05:30 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

PS. Are you a giant by any chance??
Old 03-06-2013, 01:33 PM

Jeff000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
That stand is more than overkill. Keep up the good work. What's that secret room next to the stairs for?
Thanks,

lol, those two small rooms will be a laundry room and a bathroom. they are the only part of the basement I still haven't planned out. Although I am pretty sure that I am going to just do a pocket door from the bathroom into the laundry room, cause who cares if you have to walk through the bathroom getting to the laundry right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeferfulton View Post
this build is looking great .. Stand looks pretty bad ass to me .
will be following this thread for sure !
Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post

PS. Are you a giant by any chance??
Nope, 5'11". Why?

I'll have a bench to stand on behind the tank to make access easier. The top rim of the tank is at 6' tall.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:12 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

The hanging frag tank is one of the coolest ideas I've seen. When was the house built? Looks like some monster beams/joists supporting the upstairs floor.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:27 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff000 View Post
Thanks,

lol, those two small rooms will be a laundry room and a bathroom. they are the only part of the basement I still haven't planned out. Although I am pretty sure that I am going to just do a pocket door from the bathroom into the laundry room, cause who cares if you have to walk through the bathroom getting to the laundry right?
Your basement looks like it's suppose to have two bedrooms on the one side and a bathroom between the two bedrooms. Is your rough in really on the far side by the window? Seems weird to me.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
The hanging frag tank is one of the coolest ideas I've seen. When was the house built? Looks like some monster beams/joists supporting the upstairs floor.
Thanks

The house was built in 2012, I got possession May 1, 2012.
Fairly standard beams I think.

The tank is hanging with 3/8 ready rod, unistrut under the tank, and unistrut holding the ready rod (There is aluminium pipe over the ready rod to give it a nicer look and add some rigidity) from the ceiling, the one side of the unistrut is on top of one of the main laminated beams, and the other is on top of the wall I built, and I just reinforced that wall with a few extra 2x4.

I'm actually unsure if I want to keep the frag tank right now.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Your basement looks like it's suppose to have two bedrooms on the one side and a bathroom between the two bedrooms. Is your rough in really on the far side by the window? Seems weird to me.
The bathroom rough in (toilet and tub) are in that room that has no doors. It's not a big deal to tear the concrete up and move the plumbing where ever I need though.
I have main floor laundry right now, and I hate it, it's in kind of a big closet and there is a closet on the other side to hand stuff up. Just not enough room for anything. So I'll turn the big closet where the washer and dryer are right now into an overstock pantry of sorts and the closet normally for handing up wet clothes into a seasonal clothing storage and linen closet.

I bought the house too late in construction to make any changes, but ya I think the "possible basement prints" they had showed 2 bedrooms with a bathroom between them. I don't need any more bedrooms though.

In what is the top corner of my picture (door will be moved to the right as far as I can), that is going to be a bathroom, it'll be 6' wide (wide as I can make it with the electrical panel where it is, and I have seriously thought about moving it, but that's a huge undertaking that I don't think will benefit me enough). So right as you enter the bathroom, the door will open to the left, immediately to the right will be a pocket door to the laundry room/storage room.
When you enter the bathroom there will be a standard size glass stand up shower on the left and then the toilet in the corner, I'll have a half wall between the shower and toilet, glass from the half wall to ceiling for the shower. And then the vanity pushed into the wall of the laundry room, gives me code clearance of the electrical panel and leaves me enough room for a normal sized door. I am just realizing I can not use a pocket door though.

I'd be SO much easier if I could put a tub/shower under the window, but I am not sure you can do that, or if you could how it would look.
I am putting a shower mostly for resale. I have it designed so that I can take the tank out and the walls there, build a wall close to the furnace, and build a wall at the post by the couch, closet going into the furnace room, makes a 12x10 bedroom in the basement and still leaves the rest of the basement open.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

really nice work so far. even tho i wouldn't have left the stand completely unsupported in the middle i'm sure that will hold the tank just fine. is there a reason it's sorta open in the middle? you have the diagonal piece in there anyways which sorta kills that useable space...

and the hanging frag tank is awesome keep it!
Old 03-06-2013, 02:59 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Nope, 5'11". Why?

I'll have a bench to stand on behind the tank to make access easier. The top rim of the tank is at 6' tall.
I'm about as tall as your son there so as far as I am concerned, you are a GIANT! :-)

Seriously though, that depth is going to be ridiculously fun to aquascape I'm sure. Looking forward to seeing that!
Old 03-06-2013, 03:00 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The bathroom rough in (toilet and tub) are in that room that has no doors. It's not a big deal to tear the concrete up and move the plumbing where ever I need though.
I have main floor laundry right now, and I hate it, it's in kind of a big closet and there is a closet on the other side to hand stuff up. Just not enough room for anything. So I'll turn the big closet where the washer and dryer are right now into an overstock pantry of sorts and the closet normally for handing up wet clothes into a seasonal clothing storage and linen closet.

I bought the house too late in construction to make any changes, but ya I think the "possible basement prints" they had showed 2 bedrooms with a bathroom between them. I don't need any more bedrooms though.

In what is the top corner of my picture (door will be moved to the right as far as I can), that is going to be a bathroom, it'll be 6' wide (wide as I can make it with the electrical panel where it is, and I have seriously thought about moving it, but that's a huge undertaking that I don't think will benefit me enough). So right as you enter the bathroom, the door will open to the left, immediately to the right will be a pocket door to the laundry room/storage room.
When you enter the bathroom there will be a standard size glass stand up shower on the left and then the toilet in the corner, I'll have a half wall between the shower and toilet, glass from the half wall to ceiling for the shower. And then the vanity pushed into the wall of the laundry room, gives me code clearance of the electrical panel and leaves me enough room for a normal sized door. I am just realizing I can not use a pocket door though.

I'd be SO much easier if I could put a tub/shower under the window, but I am not sure you can do that, or if you could how it would look.
I am putting a shower mostly for resale. I have it designed so that I can take the tank out and the walls there, build a wall close to the furnace, and build a wall at the post by the couch, closet going into the furnace room, makes a 12x10 bedroom in the basement and still leaves the rest of the basement open.
I always just recommend people consider resale when they develop their basements, that's a lot of space to use for just a laundry room and bathroom and honestly potential home buyers are not likely going to be overly thrilled about the layout although I understand this is hardly ever the concern of the current new home owner.

I'd consider one bedroom in the top right, could be used as office or storage but a spare room on a different floor for the in-laws is quite handy . Keep the bathroom in the middle, could easily do a bathroom/laundry room combo in that space. Push the cabinet out a bit towards the pool table and put door for the bathroom between the poll and the stairs. Also a a second door from the bathroom to spare room would be a good idea. This way it's developed the way it should be, and future buyers could easily put up another wall to frame in the second bedroom if they want.