Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics livestock related only)

Old 02-20-2013, 05:20 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Old 02-20-2013, 03:13 PM

JCharles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess View Post
Just brought home a handful of frags from this guy and they look great. Thanks!
Glad you're happy! Nice meeting you.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:10 PM

Jeff000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCharles View Post
Gee, I would hate to be the guy who buys Tyree space monsters, frags them in half, and then has to sell them as non-Tyree space monsters because he didn't receive them directly from the Hands of Tyree.

My price averages to $26.80/polyp which is cheaper than everything I came across. I also made large frags for better survivability and to give people an option, which COSTS ME A LOT OF MONEY. I would be way better off selling them 1p at a time.

I brought your thread into it since you have the motivation to downplay anyone else selling these, to keep your prices high.
If they at one point came from Tyree then they are Tyree. But he is not the only one that gets space monsters, my LFS has space monsters that were maricultured. I am sure he is not the only place that got these non Tyree Space Monsters. They can look as close as you want them to, but they are not Tyree unless they came from his lineage.

Two things, one, the GF posted those for sale, and I didn't know about it until after my post.
two, I'm not trying to keep prices high, like you they are listed for what you think you can get, but I'd take any reasonable offer really. As I am sure you would too.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:07 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

I have a question for you guys, why WOULDN'T you want to keep the price high?
Old 02-21-2013, 05:43 AM

FragIt Dan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_dao View Post
I have a question for you guys, why WOULDN'T you want to keep the price high?
There are a lot of people on here selling frags that are just trying to pay for the hobby and not turn a profit. Bringing prices for really nice stuff down to more reasonable levels gets great looking stuff in a lot more tanks and is good for everyone. The more tanks that are up and going, the more ppl shop for gear at stores.

Dan
Save the Reef, Buy a Frag!
Old 02-21-2013, 06:13 AM
Good Guy Albert

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragIt Dan View Post
There are a lot of people on here selling frags that are just trying to pay for the hobby and not turn a profit. Bringing prices for really nice stuff down to more reasonable levels gets great looking stuff in a lot more tanks and is good for everyone. The more tanks that are up and going, the more ppl shop for gear at stores.

Dan
Okay... But there's lots of good looking stuff that's already reasonably priced.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Okay... But there's lots of good looking stuff that's already reasonably priced.
Good point. I just think the more the better. If you have harvested a rare coral from a reef and there is limited qty available then sure, price it up. If I am growing out a frag into a colony and splitting it up into a bunch of frags then I think it's a different story. I am fine making $15 or $20 for doing that and am happy to keep more coral back out on the reef. My signature used to read "Save the Reef, buy a Frag!" That is my fragging tag line. Just my $0.02 ,

Dan
Old 02-21-2013, 07:04 AM
Good Guy Albert

Quote:
Good point. I just think the more the better. If you have harvested a rare coral from a reef and there is limited qty available then sure, price it up. If I am growing out a frag into a colony and splitting it up into a bunch of frags then I think it's a different story. I am fine making $15 or $20 for doing that and am happy to keep more coral back out on the reef. My signature used to read "Save the Reef, buy a Frag!" That is my fragging tag line. Just my $0.02 ,

Dan
Lowering the price does not increase availability of exciting corals. It removes the incentive for people to bring in and distribute nice stuff if the next guy growing it is happy just having it pay for his next pack of mysis. Stores are a different beast, but since when have stores stocked nice stuff?
Old 02-21-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Lowering the price does not increase availability of exciting corals. It removes the incentive for people to bring in and distribute nice stuff if the next guy growing it is happy just having it pay for his next pack of mysis. Stores are a different beast, but since when have stores stocked nice stuff?
You make some good points. Perhaps we should continue this over a beer . Apologies to the OP for dragging this OT. You have some nice looking Zoas that I would like to buy if I had a bit more money . (All in good humour),

Dan
Old 02-21-2013, 03:04 PM

JCharles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You make some good points. Perhaps we should continue this over a beer . Apologies to the OP for dragging this OT. You have some nice looking Zoas that I would like to buy if I had a bit more money . (All in good humour),

Dan

No worries, drag it wherever you want! I think it's an interesting topic. The problem is that it's very difficult to come up with a price. There is barely anything to reference, and even then it may be half way across the country for a comparable piece.

I definitely waver between both of your viewpoints. Albert is right that it doesn't help anybody to drive down the price artificially. However, just because a zoo was once rare doesn't mean it will be so forever, and I think we would expect the price of space monsters (for example) to slowly come down as more people have them, more information is shared so people get better growth, etc.