Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics hardware related only)

Old 01-17-2013, 03:11 PM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road

I think you better find out what shipping from the receivers ends to each individual person will be. These lights are heavy.
With tacking on shipping, i dont see it being any cheaper.
I paid 15$ at the door when my light arrived.
D120 - 175 + duties = 190-ish directly to your house
Group Buy d120 - 150 + Duties + shipping = 210-ish
Looking at the d120's weight, size, adding inches for packaging.
UPS site is estimating about $46-$103 for shipping.
And thats not the IT model which will weigh more.

I think everyones better off buying them on their own.
If there were a bunch of people in 1 area that wanted them, this could probably work great. But shipping, especially from a place like quebec is just going to get more expensive.
When you buy a single light, they declare it as a low value sample, when you buy many, that doesn't work. This companys willing to help you out. Dont make it more difficult then it has to be.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:33 PM

mess7777 is on a distinguished road

What do you mean a "place like Quebec"

As I was writing this up I realized that you are pretty much right that it would need to be a bunch of people from the same area. That said, I don't consider $600 cheap for a bunch of lights, even if that is much less than other name brand fixtures.

Shipping canadapost Quebec to Toronto is about $15, considering the packed weight is 7.5kg. It'd be more to BC.

I am a bit concerned with the duties and brokerage fees that tend to be unknown until it arrives at the door. It's probably not worth it to save $30.

You can consider this closed, I'll see if there's any interest on a local forum because I am a big time cheapskate.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:41 PM
Follows the rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mess7777 View Post
Nothing bad LOL
Just every time I've looked into it, it cost more to ship to/from a place in quebec then Ontario or even Nova Scotia.

I can see it being that cheap to ship to Toronto, it is Toronto after all but it will probably be expensive to ship anywhere else, including most large cities like Vancouver, edmonton, regina, etc.

There is the weight of the cords, the weight for the hanging items, size of the packaging, the light may be 8" one way, but if theres an inch or 2 of foam on either side that 12 x 8 x 2 just went to 16 x 12 x 5.

Heck I wish I had another tank so I could have a group order in the area and buy another like from them.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:54 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

I bought my IT2040 from reefsupplycanada and it was painless. If all your suggesting was that someone could save "maybe" $15 it would seem worth it to support a Canadian Vendor. Especially since they probably have a "working" relationship with the manufacturer and may get a better response if a problem should arise.

Just my experience though...YMMV

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:28 PM

kam is on a distinguished road

I don't see the D120 on the reefsupplycanada website anymore...? I want these lights asap, or LEDs my new tank is about ready to start. Cycle is almost complete and rock its about baked!
Old 01-17-2013, 04:50 PM

oyf709 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mess7777 View Post

As I was writing this up I realized that you are pretty much right that it would need to be a bunch of people from the same area. That said, I don't consider $600 cheap for a bunch of lights, even if that is much less than other name brand fixtures.

Shipping canadapost Quebec to Toronto is about $15, considering the packed weight is 7.5kg. It'd be more to BC.

I am a bit concerned with the duties and brokerage fees that tend to be unknown until it arrives at the door. It's probably not worth it to save $30.

You can consider this closed, I'll see if there's any interest on a local forum because I am a big time cheapskate.
As I mentioned before Duties and tax are all depend on how much they claim the value when they ship those units. Most of the time you can ask them tag a 0.1 CAD value on each fixtures, however, unless the CBSA officer is having a really good day, they will very likely to return the shipment for false claim on value. My suggestion is to claim each unit at a price between $30 to $40, so with DHL/FEDEX proessing fee and tax a dn duties, you are looking at about extra $10.00 for each unit.

As far as shipping cost within Canada, it is a very valid point that you should not ignore or just "think" it is going to be certain amount. You will need the size of packaging and also the actual weight with all the extra items in the box.
For shipping a 36" unit, that is about 5kg can cost between $20 to $40 just within BC and I have the Venture One Business account which suppose to give me discount on shipping already.
Another thing you should consider is most of them ship their units in a large package. Which means you will need to spend some more money to get boxes for each person.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:56 PM

mess7777 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
I bought my IT2040 from reefsupplycanada and it was painless. If all your suggesting was that someone could save "maybe" $15 it would seem worth it to support a Canadian Vendor. Especially since they probably have a "working" relationship with the manufacturer and may get a better response if a problem should arise.

Just my experience though...YMMV
are they canadian? They don't list an address or phone number on the site, only email.

For $15 it's not worth it, but for $50 it is.

How are you liking the IT2040?
Old 01-17-2013, 05:04 PM
Gold Member

Reefsupply is Canadian...they are out of the Kelowna BC. Nick is great to deal with.

I have only toyed with the IT2040 so far...it's for my frag tank and if you look at my build...it's going slow so the light is not being used fully yet. I would say keep the reds to a minimum in my opinion though.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:06 PM
Gold Member

Here is a link to the D120's still on their site. Not sure what's going on with Nick's site as it's not looking right today.
http://reefsupplycanada.com/cgi-bin/...ada&item=59996

Old 01-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Follows the rules!

You're looking for group buys to save on evergrows regular price. This canadian supplier is still even more expensive then that, and they charge for shipping. $15 is one thing, but seems like buying them canadian really will cost close to $50 more.

My light was declared as a $40 sample. Cost me $14.96 when it showed up at my front door. Free shipping, Free DIY upgrade, etc. Just cost as listed plus duties. I may have to go direct to china for everything now....