Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-12-2013, 03:54 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Are they breed able in captivity. Spawning is one thing but to raise them would be neat.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:57 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Protandric simultaneous hermaphroditism, as reported for shrimps in the genus Lysmata, is a sexual system in which individuals invariably reproduce as males first and later in life as simultaneous hermaphrodites.
The genus Lysmata includes bloods, peppermints, skunks, ect while Harlequins are Hymenocera. Not sure if they are the same, couldn't find any information specifically on the Hars.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:58 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus99 View Post
Are they breed able in captivity. Spawning is one thing but to raise them would be neat.

they breed but im not sure about raising the young though ive never tried or heard of anyone doing it, i never really looked into it though either , they mate right after a molt and molt less than other shrimps we keep.

years ago harleys were something that only came in from time to time and were labled as hard to keep.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:00 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
they breed but im not sure about raising the young though ive never tried or heard of anyone doing it, i never really looked into it though either , they mate right after a molt and molt less than other shrimps we keep.

years ago harleys were something that only came in from time to time and were labled as hard to keep.
I read something on it being completed in Japan in the past but I don't think any efforts are currently in the works.

Much easier to go out and catch em wild .
Old 01-12-2013, 04:01 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

in addition to levi stats:

Harlequin shrimp
Hymenocera picta

These beautiful shrimps have a very specific diet: starfish. Upon finding their prey, they will overturn it to dine on the starfish's delicate tube feet.

Statistics
These are small shrimps, typically 2-5cm (1-2in) in length.

Distribution
They are Indo-Pacific.

Habitat
They live on coral reefs.

Diet
Harlequin shrimps eat starfish. They feed on the tube feet and will occasionally take whole starfish many times larger then themselves. They also feed on sea urchins.

Behaviour
Harlequin shrimps detect their prey using scent. They locate a starfish and prize its arms from the rock. The male and female shrimp overturn the starfish together to disable it. This allows them to feed on its delicate tube feet starting at the tips and working inwards. Sometimes they will take the starfish into a dark recess where they can continue to feed for several days. Some even feed the starfish prey, keeping it alive so that they can dine on it later.
Their extraordinary coloration may serve as a warning to possible predators. It is thought that the shrimps incorporate toxins from their prey, making them bad tasting or potentially dangerous to eat.

Reproduction
Harlequin shrimps are fairly rare. When they encounter a mate, they stay together for life forming monogamous, often territorial, pairs. They mate shortly after the female's moult. The female produces between 100 and 5,000 eggs per season which she tends and cleans until they hatch.

Conservation status
These shrimp are rare and suffer as a result of coral reef damage.