Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-07-2012, 09:52 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragIt Dan View Post
+1 on Rich's (Bblinks) comments, I am running almost identical regime with recent addition of kalk ATO and about to start using bio pellets. When I do less frequent water changes I notice the tanks react negatively. I minimize the negative impact with dosing of non-big-three supplements, but it is not the same. After 20 years of tinkering, I have come to the conclusion that water changes have given me the happiest tanks.

Dan
I'm the exact same as you Dan - to a T. My only difference is VSV dosing instead of pellets. And I agree, water changes go a long way! I can definitely tell when I haven't done a water change in a while.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:04 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bblinks View Post
Probiotic system are a whole other topic.
whoops, my bad. I thought that was the topic Carry on.

I always find it interesting how different people's interpretation of "simple" and "easy" are. For example, there are plenty of people who complain about the maintenance schedule required for zeovit while there are some who don't find it bothersome at all. Some people will say dosing VSV is easy, while some will say that's a pain in the butt. Some will say bioPellets are easy while others think that's a pain too. That's kind of the beauty of this hobby. There's a tonne of ways to skin this cat. Unfortunately this diversity in methods is also what makes the hobby challenging! We are always second guessing our methods and wondering if we're doing it wrong and the other guy is doing it right
Old 11-07-2012, 10:12 PM

don.ald is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
There's a tonne of ways to skin this cat. We are always second guessing our methods and wondering if we're doing it wrong and the other guy is doing it right
This is a good point.
When I started out I used so many different methods, never waiting long enought to find out if anything worked before starting something new.
Finally happy with the simplistic basics. Dose the main three, use carbon, when I think of it, run cheato in the sump, and do regular water changes .