Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-31-2012, 02:54 PM

howdy20012002 is on a distinguished road

I would not say for sure that if the fish is eating that Ich won't kill it.
I don't believe that to be true at all.
it also depends on the parameters on your tank and if anything is stressing the fish.
In a stress free environment with good water quality, fish will typically overcome ich.
and corals will not survive hyposalinity nor will any inverts
best bet is try to ride it out, feed garlic and try to give a stress free environment and good water parameters as much as possible.
good luck
Nesl
Old 10-31-2012, 03:01 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

I killed more fish in qt than I've lost to ich so I don't qt my fish. It is playing with fire as there are more serious diseases that will wipe out your tank by introducing a sick fish to your dt. Some will tell you it's a matter of time and it will happen.

I chose the garlic and selcon combo myself and have not lost anyone yet. I used herbtana once, didn't seem to do anything.

Chasing a sick fish will stress it and it's tank mates and make its recovery that much tougher. if you are going to put in a hospital tank to treat, you'll need to put all fish in as well and leave the dt fallow for a min 6-8 weeks to rid the ich from the tank. Treating one fish then returning is pointless as ich will still be in your tank.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do
Old 11-01-2012, 02:14 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Until one day you will get marine velvet and wipe all your fish gone bye bye.

I cannot understand how someone can manage to kill a fish in quarantine...The QT must be setup so that it is comfortable for the fish and water quality must remain good. Not hard at all to do with a tank and some liverock.

I never lost a single fish in quarantine and I quarantine all my fish no exception.

I had a cleaner wrasse for 2 months in QT, as well as a copperband butterfly and a leopard wrasse...(on different occasions) those are not easy fish yet they went through quarantine easily. Some needed treatment for parasites, others were just on observation and preventive treatment with Paraguard and prazipro.

I took this time to make sure they were healthy and eating well.

How can a fish die in quarantine and would not die in the main tank? that either mean that the QT is not setup properly or the fish would have died anyway because it is too sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
I killed more fish in qt than I've lost to ich so I don't qt my fish. It is playing with fire as there are more serious diseases that will wipe out your tank by introducing a sick fish to your dt. Some will tell you it's a matter of time and it will happen.

I chose the garlic and selcon combo myself and have not lost anyone yet. I used herbtana once, didn't seem to do anything.

Chasing a sick fish will stress it and it's tank mates and make its recovery that much tougher. if you are going to put in a hospital tank to treat, you'll need to put all fish in as well and leave the dt fallow for a min 6-8 weeks to rid the ich from the tank. Treating one fish then returning is pointless as ich will still be in your tank.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do
Old 11-01-2012, 02:43 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post
Garlic extreme, I drop per gallon a day and in there food has always worked for me.
Is this a typo? Dont you have a 150G tank?
Old 11-01-2012, 02:44 AM

This is how I killed my fish

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...t=78733&page=6

I continued until there were 2 left, 1 chromis and 1 cardinal. By this time I was a mess, stressed my family and ready to quit the hobby. I'm sure I didn't have the qt set up properly and had nothing to do with the condition of the fish, excepting the coral beauty. The fish were all fine until they went in. After 6 1/2 weeks the 2 went back in the dt, the chromis ended up with lympho and died a few weeks later. I still have the cardinal. Due to this experience, I dismantled the tank and said never again. My earlier post clearly acknowledged the risks involved with not qting. I still have the tank and equipment but do not plan to set it up....ever

Last edited by Coralgurl; 11-01-2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:13 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Ok that's probably because you had ammonia in there and you also used copper. Copper is really toxic, so that is probably what killed your fish, not the quarantine itself.

And they must have been pretty sick if you went on with a copper treatment (very harsh). I would never use copper unless there is a positive ID for marine velvet. Other parasites are easy enough to treat without chimical for ich or with mild chimical for brook (Paraguard).

You should probably learn from your mistake and next time do it the right way. Do not use any medication unless it is necessary and use a good quantity of liverock in your quarantine tank and you won't have problem. Surely beat killing of the fish from a nasty introduction or parasites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
This is how I killed my fish

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...t=78733&page=6

I continued until there were 2 left, 1 chromis and 1 cardinal. By this time I was a mess, stressed my family and ready to quit the hobby. I'm sure I didn't have the qt set up properly and had nothing to do with the condition of the fish, excepting the coral beauty. The fish were all fine until they went in. After 6 1/2 weeks the 2 went back in the dt, the chromis ended up with lympho and died a few weeks later. I still have the cardinal. Due to this experience, I dismantled the tank and said never again. My earlier post clearly acknowledged the risks involved with not qting. I still have the tank and equipment but do not plan to set it up....ever
Old 11-01-2012, 04:18 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
Is this a typo? Dont you have a 150G tank?
Yes nice catch, it's actually 1 drop per 10 gals total water volume & my tank is closer to 225 gals with sump.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 11-01-2012, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
Ok that's probably because you had ammonia in there and you also used copper. Copper is really toxic, so that is probably what killed your fish, not the quarantine itself.

And they must have been pretty sick if you went on with a copper treatment (very harsh). I would never use copper unless there is a positive ID for marine velvet. Other parasites are easy enough to treat without chimical for ich or with mild chimical for brook (Paraguard).

You should probably learn from your mistake and next time do it the right way. Do not use any medication unless it is necessary and use a good quantity of liverock in your quarantine tank and you won't have problem. Surely beat killing of the fish from a nasty introduction or parasites.
I understand what you are saying and agree the copper and my inexperience at the time was not a good combo. I did have someone help with the set up and treatment who was doing the same thing. He was documenting his qt methods at the time which I followed, plus we chatted at least once a day. I was not successful, he was, at the time he had 2 moorish idols in his qt, dosing with copper and they both live happily in his tanks.

I learned that everyone has opinions on how to do things and even in this thread, theres those that qt and those that dont. The biggest thing I learned is I need to do what I am comfortable with and decide what works best for my fish, family and my sanity. Both my tanks are stocked with fish so it is not reasonable for me put 20 fish in a 10 gl qt.

The op needs to decide what is best for him.

I've never told anyone not to qt, I've only said what I do to keep my fish healthy, everyone has their own decisions to make.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Banned

Salt2Death is on a distinguished road

With a huge mix bag of reviews and opinions, all of which are great, I think I'm going to ride out the storm as it be.

The loss of fish has be severe and at this point I don't believe there is anything short or total tear down that would help. Not to say that many fish didn't survive but it killed many too fast to control it.......

Big water changes, syphon sand (as I only has 1-2" in display), make sure rock work stay clean as well. Frequent equipment cleaning, raise the temp, and pray to the fish Gods that all will get better

Sent Via The Pirate Ship...
Old 11-01-2012, 04:04 PM

howdy20012002 is on a distinguished road

if Ich is killing fish that fast, i would say there maybe something wrong within your tank.. either stress or water parameters.
or it is another disease - brook or velvet can look similar
velvet can wipe your tank out very fast
if it is velvet, waiting it out will not work..every fish in your tank will pretty much be dead.
but if they are already showing excessive signs it is too late to treat anyways.
sucks ass when you start having such losses
if you do lose all your fish, make sure you don't put any fish in there for at least 2 months or you could very well go through the exact same thing.
good luck