Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-14-2012, 04:28 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I think the local plankton would be temperature acclimated and die off at our tropical temps. As I said, a friend of mine used it for a long time on his large tank, taking water from about 100ft offshore, and now that he's moved to artificial salt, his tank is doing much better growth and color wise.
Coupled with the risk of some unknown contaminant, I wouldn't risk it on my display tank.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:49 AM

MKLKT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I think the local plankton would be temperature acclimated and die off at our tropical temps. As I said, a friend of mine used it for a long time on his large tank, taking water from about 100ft offshore, and now that he's moved to artificial salt, his tank is doing much better growth and color wise.
Coupled with the risk of some unknown contaminant, I wouldn't risk it on my display tank.
This and the fact that the stuff in the water here is made to operate at a much slower pace. If the bacteria are different it might be a totally different ballgame at higher temperatures. It's just a waste if you have to supplement as now the levels may not be balanced easily. Remember that most of the crud and oils are on the surface (why it's good to skim the surface in your aquarium) so you'll basically be taking a whole ocean's junk pile and putting it in your tank.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:59 AM

FragIt Dan is on a distinguished road

I work at DFO as a marine biologist and looked into this extensively (I currently have about 400G of tanks going). After consulting with several people at work in different disciplines, I decided it was definitely NOT something I wanted to do. The 'pros' list is short... some plankton and bacteria can be beneficial, but there are products designed to feed your corals that will do much the same and in most cases in a far better way. The 'cons' list is long... think of what the common flu virus did to North America when it was first introduced. You are exposing your tank to a heavy inoculation of viruses, bacteria and plankton for which your inhabitants have limited or no natural defenses. Furthermore, the phosphate levels are far higher than I could figure out how to deal with for cheaper than making my own ASW. You would also not want to store the water for any period of time as I suspect a die off of the plankton and associated spike in ammonia etc. There is also a long list of other contaminants that can accumulate in your tank. The Vancouver aquarium is set up on large scale industrial type filtration with heat exchangers and a bunch of other toys. I have seen ASW mix in the 'behind the scenes' area (I was a diver there for a while) and always assumed they made up there own for their tropical displays, but looking at Aquatro's comments, they might only be bumping the salinity up (but I highly suspect they are not using even filtered local ocean water for their tropical systems that house corals). I would strongly discourage you from trying to use local water regardless of treatments. It is my opinion the gains you are looking for can be had to a much greater degree, far safer and with much less expense in time (and $$) using a simple coral food. I ran the numbers to calculate how much water I would need to produce a bottle of coral food with similar plankton density as some of the commercially available products (I ran density analyses on them myself)... 1000's of gallons of local seawater to get a single bottle of product. This was not going to be my get rich quick scheme ,
Dan
Save the Reef, Buy a Frag!

Last edited by FragIt Dan; 09-14-2012 at 06:02 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:28 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

If you ever see a behind the scene's tour of the Van Aqua. you'll see that they have huge, very extensive sand & other filtration systems and their nsw is not collected near the surface, which is what you would be doing.

You're much more likely to contaminate your tank and kill off your tropical livestock than see any benefits.

Coldwater BC tank, go for it. Reef tank = NO.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:49 AM

burgerchow is on a distinguished road

Or, you could move to Hawaii, get a beach house and run continuous sea water into the tank. Use the ocean as your sump. LOL

Actually, the Waikiki aquarium uses water pumped in from the ocean.Much cleaner and pristine looking water than ours.

If I lived on waterfront property in White Rock, I would do a large coldwater tank and just pump in sea water directly into the tank and overflow directly back into the ocean. Wouldn't even need a filtration system. ( this assumes the intake would be at least 10 feet below the surface of the water, where there are very little temperature fluctuations, and hopefully, less scum)

120 , lps. 2xKessil A350W Tuna Blues, 2xvortech mp40 for flow,aqualogic 1/4 hp chiller, 160 lbs live rock. sohal, , pair of percs,flame dotty back , royal gramma, pair of black percs, niger trigger, mandarin

55 corner bowfront freshwater, African cichlids kessil a350

30 gal 36x36 coffee table fish tank. 3 red ear sliders.

5.5 gal nano, live rock, arrow crab, baby perc, firefish.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:19 PM

dare2dv8 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragIt Dan View Post
I work at DFO as a marine biologist and looked into this extensively (I currently have about 400G of tanks going). After consulting with several people at work in different disciplines, I decided it was definitely NOT something I wanted to do. The 'pros' list is short... some plankton and bacteria can be beneficial, but there are products designed to feed your corals that will do much the same and in most cases in a far better way. The 'cons' list is long... think of what the common flu virus did to North America when it was first introduced. You are exposing your tank to a heavy inoculation of viruses, bacteria and plankton for which your inhabitants have limited or no natural defenses. Furthermore, the phosphate levels are far higher than I could figure out how to deal with for cheaper than making my own ASW. You would also not want to store the water for any period of time as I suspect a die off of the plankton and associated spike in ammonia etc. There is also a long list of other contaminants that can accumulate in your tank. The Vancouver aquarium is set up on large scale industrial type filtration with heat exchangers and a bunch of other toys. I have seen ASW mix in the 'behind the scenes' area (I was a diver there for a while) and always assumed they made up there own for their tropical displays, but looking at Aquatro's comments, they might only be bumping the salinity up (but I highly suspect they are not using even filtered local ocean water for their tropical systems that house corals). I would strongly discourage you from trying to use local water regardless of treatments. It is my opinion the gains you are looking for can be had to a much greater degree, far safer and with much less expense in time (and $$) using a simple coral food. I ran the numbers to calculate how much water I would need to produce a bottle of coral food with similar plankton density as some of the commercially available products (I ran density analyses on them myself)... 1000's of gallons of local seawater to get a single bottle of product. This was not going to be my get rich quick scheme ,
Dan
Thanks Dan for taking the time to answer and pass on the information that you gained in your research. Exactly what I was hoping to find... somebody who's tried it or studied it thoroughly enough to give an informed response.

Craig
Old 09-15-2012, 12:48 AM

FragIt Dan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2dv8 View Post
Thanks Dan for taking the time to answer and pass on the information that you gained in your research. Exactly what I was hoping to find... somebody who's tried it or studied it thoroughly enough to give an informed response.

Craig
my pleasure. Glad to save you the time and headache,
Dan
Save the Reef, Buy a Frag!
Old 09-15-2012, 01:02 AM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

If we were near any coral reefs I would say it's safe, being that the only things growing is 8 legged starfish and barnacles of the docks of white rock.... One would wonder how beneficial it would be, also I reckon you water maybe alittle murky.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 09-15-2012, 01:05 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

i tried it for a bit back east , you can bet that didnt last long...getting the water was a pain in the butt as was trucking it back home.

my salinity was always low at 1.012 -1.015

water was also very green from algae blooms, so t had to be filtered and skimmed before even using it:P

i love salt in a bucket:P