Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 08-01-2012, 07:06 PM

mandyplo is on a distinguished road

So I'm thinking of adding a few more anthias to make everyone a little happier in being able to swim as a school. Would you guys reccomend I add the same types of anthias (So just add more dispars?) Or can I add 4 Lyretails, and have 4 lyretails and 2 dispars in total. Will they all school together or are they generally aggressive towards eachother? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:15 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

I had 4 different species together. They never schooled together and the only bad guy was a male lyretail
Old 08-01-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus99 View Post
I had 4 different species together. They never schooled together and the only bad guy was a male lyretail
Hmm okay thanks So if I want them to school together, my best bet is going with 4 more dispars eh...
At the moment my 2 dispars are schooling with my 1 blue chromis. Its pretty damn cute.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:21 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

More anthias doesn't always mean more fun. When you get them into a school they form a well defined pecking order. This usually involves having the smallest one being beaten on until it dies, then the next and so on. Oh, and the dominant female can change to male, which causes the dominant male to kill that one too. Big happy families... Dispars are less prone to this but it does happen. Unless you have a really big tank, I'd stick with the pair and get a compatible but different species. I keep 3 different species of anthias together without issue.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:15 AM

Crazy how different everyones experiences are... Heres 3 different people telling me to get 6 or more anthias as they do better in larger groups and like to school, and now heres someone telling me they will kill eachother if all the same species and you have more than 2...
Old 08-03-2012, 11:15 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyplo View Post
Crazy how different everyones experiences are... Heres 3 different people telling me to get 6 or more anthias as they do better in larger groups and like to school, and now heres someone telling me they will kill eachother if all the same species and you have more than 2...
They may be like green chromis: either buy a large school or one or two. They'll kill each other off, as well.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:32 AM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

How are your anthias doing? I just bought 3 and LOVE them. They are eating but I did go get more varieties of food just in case.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
How are your anthias doing? I just bought 3 and LOVE them. They are eating but I did go get more varieties of food just in case.
Hi Coralgurl, my anthias are doing AWESOME! I absolutely love them too! Both of them are eating like fiends now and they both swim out in the open with the chromis and the tang in one big group haha. I'm kinda obsessed with them to be honest... I have 2 and I really want more I want to maybe buy 2 lyretails next...
Old 09-05-2012, 03:23 AM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Great to hear!

Mine were really timid the first day but now they are out all the time and get in with everyone for feeding. They swim together and definitely add color to my tank. Awesome addition!
Old 09-05-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
Great to hear!

Mine were really timid the first day but now they are out all the time and get in with everyone for feeding. They swim together and definitely add color to my tank. Awesome addition!
I completely agree, I absolutely love mine they are my favorite fish in my tank. And so peaceful + well behaved!