Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-06-2012, 07:39 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmoh View Post
What sort of clearance do these units need above the heat sink for airflow as I mentioned I only have about a foot and I think 8" is ideal above water level.
Mine are fitted into my canopy, which gives them about an inch of clearance. I have large holes in the top of the canopy that let heat out, although so far, there's no heat coming out.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:52 PM

badAZZlars is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
For around the same money you could also consider 2 48" Sunbrite F-series LED Fixtures although they are not controllable by profilux, they will cover the tank properly. Plus external controller integration was mentioned to be a future upgrade but probably no guaranty.
I agree with this post. I'm happy with my fixture and 2 units would easily give you full coverage and the ability to place corals wherever you want.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:57 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

I have 2 ai sols on a 75g which is 48x18x18, some might say it's enough but I feel the coverage front to back is about 14" so I will wait to see what multichip led is out on the market next year so that I can add 2 more fixtures on.

I think in a year or so multichip led will revolutionize the market as the blend in colours will blend much better being all on one led chip.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 06-07-2012, 12:40 AM

Gizmoh is on a distinguished road

Thanks again to all for the replies! Tang daddy, are you running the 40 or 70 degree optics, I am guessing the 40? The Vegas look very nice, I would love some more info from AI on those ... But that is a waiting game. The sunbrite is an interesting choice but at the price point I just don't know, needing 2 puts me about 400 over 4 Sols... Decisions decisions.

Keep the info flowing! I'm intrigued that I haven't got a single argument in favour of the 10x54w T5. I think for obvious reasons, as blinks points out the replacement cost would be steep, plus evaporation, plus electricity...

And I want to thank fishytime for sending me down this road with his comment in my initial planning thread! Made some excellent points in one sentence!
Old 06-07-2012, 01:40 AM

Gizmoh is on a distinguished road

Is anyone aware if the ai unit can be half on/off the end of the mounting rail. If so I could get away with a 12" rail, if I go the route.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:44 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmoh View Post
Is anyone aware if the ai unit can be half on/off the end of the mounting rail. If so I could get away with a 12" rail, if I go the route.
Doubt it, they mount via a small screw on each end.