Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 05-20-2012, 05:50 PM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by subman View Post

Great eyes!
No, an IPad that makes it easy to enlarge images!

That nudie has been feeding on that particular zoa for a while, that's why he's an exact color match. I bet if you pop that frag off the rock he's living underneath it.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:19 PM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderjumper View Post
That nudie has been feeding on that particular zoa for a while, that's why he's an exact color match. I bet if you pop that frag off the rock he's living underneath it.
I took the frag off as you suggested and inspected the base of all three pieces and they appear to be solid glue with no obvious hiding places. I gave it a good going over but did not see the little bugger.

I did find one on another colony which I was able to suck up with a pipette... I think I may use the Salifert FWE on all my zoas colonies but I need to come up with some magnification as my eyes are not what they once were.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:58 PM

Tom R is on a distinguished road

Hi Keith

Your welcome to come over for a visit.

Just send me a PM and I will return it to you with my address and phone number.

Tom R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaz View Post
Thanks Tom. If you are still in Cloverdale I would love to bring my six year old over to see what a big reef looks like sometime. Bribe you with a beverage?
Old 05-27-2012, 01:46 AM

So it has been almost a week since I picked off the last visible nudibranch and I have not seen any eggs so I am hoping this problem is behind me.

I am having issues with my dKH falling to 5.7 from 6.7 within 24 hours. I did a water change today which brought it up to 6.9 but it is dropping again. I can bring it up with some Arm&Hammer but I guess I need to sort out a dosing routine. Time to buy a calcium test kit. Can I cheap out with Ca test kit or buy Salifert?

My large orange/green Echino is getting too big for this little tank, time to list it for sale I think.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:18 AM

Nano is on a distinguished road

Any chance you could post or pm me some pics/instructions on the DIY ato?
Old 05-27-2012, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano View Post
Any chance you could post or pm me some pics/instructions on the DIY ato?
By far the best DIY I did for this tank was the ATO, even better than the LED lights. A constant nonfluctuating salinity makes everything so much happier.

This is the guide I followed when I built mine:
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...howtopic=29093

- Replaced the battery operated air pump with a proper Aqualifter.
- Use a 1g green glass olive bottle as a reservoir, it lasts weeks unless it is the summer then it lasts 2-3 days before needing to be refilled with fresh water. Evaporative cooling ftw.
- Because the float switch is not suitable to directly switch the Aqualifter on/off I built a 9v relay in a project box that accomplishes the task nicely. The reason the above build thread uses a battery operated air pump is because a float switch should not be directly connected to a 110v appliance. I ran like this for more than a year but the awful sound of the battery operated air pump and swapping batteries pushed me towards building the relay box.

I can take pictures if you are interested.
Keith

Last edited by Snaz; 05-27-2012 at 03:40 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:39 AM

Casey8 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaz View Post
So it has been almost a week since I picked off the last visible nudibranch and I have not seen any eggs so I am hoping this problem is behind me.

I am having issues with my dKH falling to 5.7 from 6.7 within 24 hours. I did a water change today which brought it up to 6.9 but it is dropping again. I can bring it up with some Arm&Hammer but I guess I need to sort out a dosing routine. Time to buy a calcium test kit. Can I cheap out with Ca test kit or buy Salifert?

My large orange/green Echino is getting too big for this little tank, time to list it for sale I think.

I don't know why but I just couln't spend any money on the Cal and Mag test kit. I would cheap out with those test kits, but I have to use the cheap API to test my dKH because mine is falling about 2 dKH just in a day. I have to keep an eye on it. I see you have some of the sps coral frags in your little cute tank, so the more they grow the more you might have trouble to keep up your dKH, unless you plan to dose your tank in the future. I am using Kent kalwasser to drip at night, but I still have a hard time to maintain my dKH at 7.5 right now. Maybe too many sps corals in my tank, time to think of getting rid of some of them later, that is my plan.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey8 View Post
I don't know why but I just couln't spend any money on the Cal and Mag test kit. I would cheap out with those test kits, but I have to use the cheap API to test my dKH because mine is falling about 2 dKH just in a day. I have to keep an eye on it. I see you have some of the sps coral frags in your little cute tank, so the more they grow the more you might have trouble to keep up your dKH, unless you plan to dose your tank in the future. I am using Kent kalwasser to drip at night, but I still have a hard time to maintain my dKH at 7.5 right now. Maybe too many sps corals in my tank, time to think of getting rid of some of them later, that is my plan.
Good advice Thank you. I was thinking of adding some sodium bicarbonate to my ATO water but with summer coming the ATO really gets a workout so that will probably result in a overdose.

I could also just have a squeeze bottle of solution near the tank and every day just give it a squirt. I need some more history before I do either, right now I drop 0.9 - 1.1 point every day. Ill pick up some cheap Mg and Ca kits this week.

FYI the Salifert dKH kit seems very accurate if you don't mind titration and you can get 100 - 200 tests from each. I paid $20 at Ocean Aquatics.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:58 AM

Default Compartment Customization

I shot a three minute video of how I have customized the four chambers in the rear of this AIO. Only the protein skimmer is my own design, the rest I used completely or partially other reefers ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hH9...e_gdata_player
Old 06-16-2012, 04:35 AM

Casey8 is on a distinguished road

Love your little nano tank
It looks much cuter on the video than just looking at the picture. With such a small tank like that but you were able to build lots of nice hiding places for your fish, and I really like your tiny refugium too.