Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-16-2012, 09:23 PM

Nano is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
If you like SPS and angels, take a look at John Coppelino's (Copps) tank.http://vimeo.com/13564370

He's been TOTM over at Reef Central and number of times, so go over there for more info on his tanks.
Yikes thats a lot of angels in a reef!! lol but beautiful.
He must keep them well fed to avoid coral and mantel nipping
Old 05-16-2012, 09:27 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

If adding the Midas Bennies, I would recommend adding them last.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:32 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmoh View Post
Thanks again bblinks, I am liking the looks of the vertex equipment, as I have never used a media reactor before, can I run carbon and a phosphate absorbing media in the same reactor? Like the looks of the tunze silence pro, prob going that route, any input on if it better as an internal or external? I like the looks of the vertex calc reactor as well, are you happy with all the parts as a whole? And just curious as to why you recommend a skimmer for up to 300 gallons for a 125, just bigger is better? Or is it higher quality then there smaller ones? All and all I love the input and I almost have the equipment list done I think! Thanks again to all!
I use carbon and rowaphos together without any problems. I think the only reason people like to use them in different reactor is cause carbon is exhausted faster then phosphate removing media. So to save on rowaphos or what ever media you use, it is better to run them in different reactors. I change both of mine once a month so it's always fresh. I know it cost a bit more but it works for me. I do 4 cups of carbon and 2 cups of rowaphos.

I am glad you are gonna go with tunze pro pump, I am a big fan of large turn over rate. I have a reeflo pump for my return but its very important that you try to match your flow rate to your skimmer so it can pick up as much crap as it can and not miss any.

I love my Vertex reactor. like I said I am not the laziest person but between the kids, work, and other activities I just like to keep things simple and the reactor for me is just that. Set it and forget it. Man I sound like that informerical about the rotassary.

If ask anyone about skimmer rating you will get an different answer every time. IME always take half of what the manufacture recommanded size for most skimmers. Usually the rating is on a lightly stocked tank but if you have or planning to have a semi heavy stocked tank like most of us do you will need a skimmer that's rated for more.

I do use kalk stirrer from Avast marine for top off.

Glad to hear everything is coming along,

WE NEED PICTURES!!!

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 05-16-2012, 10:21 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bblinks View Post
I use carbon and rowaphos together without any problems. I think the only reason people like to use them in different reactor is cause carbon is exhausted faster then phosphate removing media. So to save on rowaphos or what ever media you use, it is better to run them in different reactors. I change both of mine once a month so it's always fresh. I know it cost a bit more but it works for me. I do 4 cups of carbon and 2 cups of rowaphos.
the theory behind two different reactors with two different pumps (or one pump with a manifold) is both carbon and GFO have optimal flow rates where the product works best....for GFO its about 200-400 gph and for carbon its 400-600 gph

as for equipment and such....get the best you can afford.....the higher priced items may not perform any differently then less expensive units, but the build quality and components are usually better.....
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 05-16-2012, 11:03 PM

[quote=fishytime;717211]the theory behind two different reactors with two different pumps (or one pump with a manifold) is both carbon and GFO have optimal flow rates where the product works best....for GFO its about 200-400 gph and for carbon its 400-600 gph[quote]

Flow rate is also a good point, I think carbon will work better if the water passes through without any tumbling but rowaphos will bind together if its not getting enough flow. But for the most part even with 2 different pumps running 2 different reactor, not many of us are gonna know what the exact flow rate is. ultimately the choice is yours. It is just easier for me.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 05-18-2012, 06:45 PM

Gizmoh is on a distinguished road

Lol oh there will be pictures bblinks but I haven't quite started yet, going to get everything set and then I may do a build thread. So for equipment this is what I got picked out. Tank is 48x30x20 (125g).

Lights: 10x54w ati powermodule (I have heard this has been discontinued)
Skimmer: Vertex cone 250 or equivalent octopus I am still torn on this one.
Reactors: 2 vertex universal and one vertex calc
Powerheads: Ecotech or tunze
Return: Tunze Silence Pro
ATO: Tunze osomlator
Heaters: ?
Chiller: ? (room can get get very warm in summer) what would people recommend
Sump with separate refugium
And I like the looks of your controller system blinks can I get some info on that instead of the Neptune? (I like the touch screen)

Am I missing anything!?

Thanks again for everyone's input!
Old 05-18-2012, 06:46 PM

Oh and a Kalk stirrer recommendations there?
Old 05-19-2012, 02:36 AM

Rogue951 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmoh View Post
Oh and a Kalk stirrer recommendations there?
I use the TLF Kalk reactor.
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s..._ID=tf-rkwm300

It's powered by my ATO which is a tunze. Pretty sure it's overworking the poor little pump but when it dies I'll get the switched socket and bigger pump.

Inside the reactor is a nozzle that spins when the pump turns on so it sprays the settled kalk from the bottom up.

Works great so far.
might not want it for a tank with huge evap or it'll stir up the whole column of water.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:25 PM

Alright!

Thank you rogue for the response! I took a look at that one the avast and the Geo Kalk reactors and I think I have settled on the Geo! So the only thing I still need to pick out is the heaters and chiller!

I did need a little input on my tank though. I am getting ready to order the tank and am wondering about the overflow. The tank is going to be viewable from the sides so I don't want to do dual corner overflows but I am worried just one in the center won't allow for enough flow through the sump and refuge. Are these concerns invalid or should I do dual center overflows for 2 returns and 2 drains? Again the tank will be 48x30x20, and I would like to use the Tunze silence pro for my return pump.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:34 PM

For your kalk stirrer I would be leaning towards Deltec. GEO makes good calcium reactors but overpriced IMO but as for kalk reactor it utlizes a power head to mix the solution which mean you can't or shouldn't dose right after the the pump has been on. I know the deltec unit isn't the cheapest on the market... There is an alternative unit that you can get from Avast marine, it's not the best built quality but it get the job done and it will eliminate the chances of you over dose your tank with over saturated kalk solution.

I have an oceanic chiller that's in operation since 3 years ago, never any issues. If you can get away with house hold portable ac unit in the room then I would use that instead beacuse once that chiller kicks on it will cool the tank no doubt but where ever that chiller is situated, that particular room will turn into a sauna.

I think you should do a external coast to coast and use either herbie of bean animal style overflow to keep it nice and quite.

one more thing, WE WANT PICTURES!

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013