Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-09-2012, 06:22 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

For the most part people would agree we design our tanks and water flow to keep things suspended and be as efficient as possible at forcing debris and other crap to the overflow so it can filtered out before settling and breaking down in the display.

So with that said it's clear why one might want to consider turning off or at least reducing the flow during feeding times. If you don't you'll likely waste a good portion of food that will get filtered out and depending on what goes on from there the extra food may not be filtered out properly and break down into nutrients.

In addition some peoples livestock might benefit from not having to chase down food at light speed but this depends on what livestock you keep.

If you feel neither of these are issues with your tank then yeah it wouldn't make much sense to shut off pumps.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:40 PM

burgerchow is on a distinguished road

I'm a little curious. Just how much food does everybody feed, that they are worried about "leftover" ? I only feed small amounts a day. It's a feeding frenzy everytime I drop in some pellets. Never have any leftovers.
I think keeping my fish in competition for food is more natural, and it also leads to better water quality.

120 , lps. 2xKessil A350W Tuna Blues, 2xvortech mp40 for flow,aqualogic 1/4 hp chiller, 160 lbs live rock. sohal, , pair of percs,flame dotty back , royal gramma, pair of black percs, niger trigger, mandarin

55 corner bowfront freshwater, African cichlids kessil a350

30 gal 36x36 coffee table fish tank. 3 red ear sliders.

5.5 gal nano, live rock, arrow crab, baby perc, firefish.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:16 PM

reefgirl189 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerchow View Post
I'm a little curious. Just how much food does everybody feed, that they are worried about "leftover" ? I only feed small amounts a day. It's a feeding frenzy everytime I drop in some pellets. Never have any leftovers.
I think keeping my fish in competition for food is more natural, and it also leads to better water quality.
I overfeed. I know I do. To me my copperband looks like he's starving at all times although he eats at every meal. He's very healthy and at a good weight but I'm a mother hen and tend to overnurture all my babies. I'm pretty sure that I won't be satisfied until he looks like he's pregnant. I have leftovers that dissapear into the rock work and I probably should freak out about it but I figure the CUC needs the extra food. I don't turn my pumps off. With the water volume I have the odd 2 or 3 missed mysis shrimps or pellets don't give me an ammonia spike. Everything is growing and happy and with the exception of one mysterious tang death in the last month I haven't had any issues that have come up in my tank.

Having said all of that I have a fairly low bioload as I don't have much for livestock, so overfeeding 6 small fish in a 250 gallon system is not as big of a deal as overfeeding 15 similar sized fish in a 90 gallon set up.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:46 PM

Mike-fish is on a distinguished road

i feed via the return pumps so the food gets blasted every which way. pumps left on at all times
Old 04-09-2012, 09:03 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus99 View Post
Whats a feeding ring
Its a floating ring for putting flake type food in. Mine also attached to the side with a suction cup. The food slowly sinks to the water a little at a time, letting it get eaten as it falls.

My clowns, thats all I have, and I,m sure other fish would, figured out where the food was and were always poking their face up into the ring.

As another mentioned, I have always, {for close to 40yrs}, fed my fish a lot. Its worked well for me. Same as a few other things I do for the fish, which does not follow what many others do, but thats for another thread.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:31 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

I'm overfeeding on purpose, the equivelant of about 3 cubes of frozen, a cup of liquid/powder foods plus pellets....daily
Old 04-09-2012, 09:33 PM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
I'm overfeeding on purpose, the equivelant of about 3 cubes of frozen, a cup of liquid/powder foods plus pellets....daily
wow, why?
Old 04-09-2012, 09:40 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoD View Post
wow, why?
Trying an experiment lol its not for fish I target feed all my corals daily, some are nps corals.I'm also feeding an ATS and half a dozen types of macro. My nitrates are still dropping from off the chart 6mths ago to my target range of 10-20 which is where I'm at now.without feeding this much my nitrates are dropping , I'm not shooting for a ulns
Old 04-10-2012, 12:14 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoD View Post
I've been seeing people do this and cant understand why.

anyone know the logical reason behind this?
because everyone knows all the currents stop in the ocean when it is time for the fish to eat

seriously though I never did, and I over fed like mad.. no problems ever because I had a skimmer that was big enough to quickly remove everything and very high flow to keep it from settling out.

I guess if you have corals you need to hand feed it might make it is bit easier, but I used to feed my brain with out any problems.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:38 AM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
because everyone knows all the currents stop in the ocean when it is time for the fish to eat

seriously though I never did, and I over fed like mad.. no problems ever because I had a skimmer that was big enough to quickly remove everything and very high flow to keep it from settling out.

I guess if you have corals you need to hand feed it might make it is bit easier, but I used to feed my brain with out any problems.

Steve
this leads me to my next question..... why do people target feed corals?