Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-25-2012, 06:31 PM

subman is on a distinguished road

I was just researching them as I saw a couple (only 2 lol) in my tank and read some people had CBB and six lines eat them but no real consensus on their effectiveness.

My other summer hobby:
http://www.edkra.ca
Old 03-25-2012, 06:36 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

They grow all over my rock and the coral in my tank just encrust over top of them without showing any signs of irritation. I've probably got 5-10 of them for every square inch of exposed live rock so I'm honestly having a hard time believing that this is a real problem for you.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 03-25-2012, 06:36 PM

tim the toolman is on a distinguished road

Why do the boiled ones need to be re cycled. I just dipped them quickly in a boiling vat
Old 03-25-2012, 06:40 PM

subman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim the toolman View Post
Why do the boiled ones need to be re cycled. I just dipped them quickly in a boiling vat
because the boiling water killed most of the beneficial Bactria

My other summer hobby:
http://www.edkra.ca
Old 03-25-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
They grow all over my rock and the coral in my tank just encrust over top of them without showing any signs of irritation. I've probably got 5-10 of them for every square inch of exposed live rock so I'm honestly having a hard time believing that this is a real problem for you.
I'm talking more about my Lps, anemone, and acans, which all show signs of irritation and stay closed almost all the time since they have started growing amongst them. Also they are into my frogspawn quite a lot which is keeping it about 50% closed up all the time. Though I do appreciate you not adding anything helpful to this thread, as I am stopping to read posts while I scrape my rock free of thousands of them. There is also documented cases of them over filtering the tank resulting in the death of some of my more desired filter feeders such as my cucumber
Old 03-25-2012, 07:02 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

There is a sebae anemone, 4 acans, 1 frogspawn, 1 hammer, 1 caulastrea, 3 trachyphyllia, 2 elegance, 1 lobophyllia, 3 chalice, 1 duncan, 1 platygyra and a tiger tail cucumber in my tank. All of these have been in there for 3-8 years growing amount the vermetid without incident. Could you provide a reference or link to the cases that you're talking about? Or even some pictures of what you are talking about in your own tank? What species of holothuroid do you have? I thought you bought a tiger tail but those aren't filter feeders.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 03-25-2012, 07:18 PM

Yes I bought a tiger tail last week. But I had a large pink filter feeding cucumber in my system for quite some time. I will try and find a reference to the cuke dying off as I have read through piles of info over the last week or so. Also I am not interested in comparing notes as I do not have to convince you that I am having issues with them. I am about half way through the removal of them which I'm sure won't rid me of them entirely but it should make it easier to starve them out now.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:21 PM

This also concerns me.

violet. The animal forms a small, calcareous shell mound and then sends up a short, three to five millimeter long, vertical stalk. The upper edge of this tube may be razor sharp, and may inflict rather nasty cuts. A few of these would be no real problem; however, this animal reproduces very well in marine aquaria. Left unchecked, it can reach populations of over several thousand in a few months. They prefer high current areas, and will infest and clog plumbing, significantly reducing water flow. In severe infestations they can clog and shut down pumps. The only solution in cases like these is physical removal of the animals using whatever method is easiest (a muriatic acid bath works well).

From http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rs/index.php
Old 03-25-2012, 07:31 PM

Vermetid Snail
Image: Classification: Comments: Status:
Vermetidae This group of snails have forgone their mobility by attaching their "shell" to the substrate and converting it into a calcerous tube. They release a mucus web out into the water, which they then reel back in and consume, eating the food particles caught in it. Their presence is a sign of a healthy system and don't typically cause any problems. The exception is if the mucus net irritates a neighbouring coral, which can lead to death of the polyps that it is irritating.
Fromhttp://www.masa.asn.au/masawiki/index.php/Hitchhikers_Guide_to_the_Reef_Tank
Old 03-25-2012, 07:47 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

A six line wont touch them , there is however a wrasse that is supposed to can't remember the name.