Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-08-2002, 04:43 AM

kris is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to kris Send a message via MSN to kris
Default more clams dead

im really sorry to hear that, any ideas why?
Old 07-08-2002, 04:48 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus
Default more clams dead

Sorry to hear it too. Man, not a good week for clams. :(

Any clues what happened?
Old 07-08-2002, 04:52 AM

DJ88 is on a distinguished road
Default more clams dead

none in both cases..
Old 07-08-2002, 11:26 AM

Jayson is on a distinguished road
Default more clams dead

Darren the reason that I ask about your nitrate level is that clams require nitrate to survive. I know that most people do not bother to test for this. You should have a nitrate kevel of atleast 5ppm in your tank if you want the clams to survive for a long period of time. I add sodium nitrate to my tank to maintain the required levels. Thanks
Old 07-08-2002, 12:25 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough
Default more clams dead

Jayson, I have to disagree somewhat. Yes, clams like some nitrogen in the water, but I don't believe adding it as a supplement is required. Although my Salifert kit shows no detectable nitrate (or ammonia, for that matter), there is both in the tank at all times. I can watch the nitrogen bubbles rising from my sandbed. This indicates that there is a constant supply of nitrate in my tank. If there is enough for my sandbed to convert to a gas, there is enough for my clams to assimilate.
My clams concur with this hypothesis simply by growing constantly. This would also coincide with the amount, or lack of, nitrate in their natural environment. Thoughts?
Old 07-08-2002, 07:27 PM
Gold Member

smokinreefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smokinreefer
Default more clams dead

i too believe there was a bad batch of clams being brought in. but i also feel that this bad batch is carrying something.

i dont want to cry wolf, but to those of you who have lost newly purchased clams and have established clams in the same tank...please run some carbon and do a water change, if for only a precaution, please do it.

i lost a recently acquired squamosa...that falls in the timeframe of this all the other recent deaths, but with one difference, 2 of my 3 other established clams were not opening up yesterday. i suspect something has been introduced into the water via the bad clam.

both are now dead.

i think it may be time for me to throw in the towel or maybe downgrade. its been a very bad year for me...livestock wise, and the year is only half over.

i do know that my sytem had recovered from my sps crash, as all my softies and new sps frags are doing awesome.and now this...i am frustrated to say the least.
Old 07-08-2002, 07:30 PM

Default more clams dead

SH!T!!!!!!

Running carbon now..

Man Shao.. I am sorry to hear that.. crap crap crap.. If I lose my Black Max I am going to be soo ****ed..

sigh..

Shao. call me.. we'll figure something out for a new system if ya want.. Lot's of practice here.. ;)
Old 07-08-2002, 08:12 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus
Default more clams dead

Unfortunately, it seems clams can carry diseases that can spread from clam to clam. I've heard it all too often (and had it happen in my own tank) where one clam dies, and eventually the others soon follow suit.

I guess it comes with the territory of keeping clams. Happens to the "experts" too, and they don't seem to understand it any better either, if my reading on RC is any indication.

It seems to me that any time we purchase a wild-collected animal, we run the risk of introducing an unknown pathogen into our systems. Unfortunately, since even "farmed" clams still spend time in the ocean, even purchasing farmed stock does not completely eliminate this risk (although it does seem to be a better option, as farmed seem to be stronger animals, more used to captive conditions).

Apparently, clams really are that sensitive. Look at them wrong and you risk killing them (or so it seems, some days). You need a rock-solid, bulletproof system for clams IMO.

Sorry for your losses. I know how you feel (boy do I ever.) :( Hopefully, it gets better from here on...

Shao, don't give up. It can be hard some days. I know .... trust me I know. But you'll find your groove if you keep at it.

[ 08 July 2002, 16:15: Message edited by: delphinus ]
Old 07-08-2002, 09:31 PM

canadawest is on a distinguished road
Default more clams dead

OK now I'm officially worried too. I just purchased a new Derasa two weeks ago. (If you recall Darren it was the day that I came by your place, then ran into you later at J&L's)

Anyway, mine seems to be doing great, as is my 1 year old Maxima. I'll keep an eye on em both, but so far no worries.

(knocking on wood)
Old 07-08-2002, 09:39 PM

Default more clams dead

Well my max's are looking fine. If anything they are fuller. ;) I'll keep an eye on them tho. I'll try anothe rone in a wihle.. Can't get enough. [img]smile.gif[/img]