Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 02-04-2012, 09:25 PM

toolmanbmw is on a distinguished road

Omg... I found my problem.... This is what I purchased.... http://m.thesource.ca/product.php?pt...675&lang=en-CA

It's an 24v ac adapter. Were can I find dc adapter?
Old 02-04-2012, 09:25 PM

Cal_stir is on a distinguished road

actually you would only one 1 amp diode to build a half wave rectifier but it might be better to build a bridge rectifier with 4 diodes
Old 02-04-2012, 09:28 PM

emerald crab is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolmanbmw View Post
Thanks for all the help guys. Yeah we have princess auto. Which diodes would I need? Also this is directly on the RO side of things. I have it setup working with a float valve in my sump. This valve is suppose to turn on for 30 min a day to aid as a backup for the float valve.

It does almost sounds like the adapter is putting put power where it makes it turn on and off really quick... Maybe this diodes is the answer?
If is on the RO side move it on the other side, in front of the RO unit. You don't want to contaminate your RO water with metal ions. I don't like the idea of using a RO unit directly in a ATO system. When you start the RO unit the first 1-2 liters are not the best quality, if it produces only 50ml or less 20-50 times a day, you're not gonna get the best water.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:46 PM

Thanks cal. I will do some research to find out how to build that.

I sure will move the valve over to the incoming water side. Thanks for the advice. I just hope I didn't damage anything by letting it run with ac for a good 30 min already...
Old 02-05-2012, 02:21 AM

no, should not have damaged it, just google "bridge rectifier", the diodes will get warm so if you tape them up do it so the plastic part of the diode is exposed to the air so they doesn't overheat
Old 02-05-2012, 02:50 AM

Cal does this look right?

Last edited by toolmanbmw; 02-26-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:48 PM

no, you have the red and black reversed, the polarity is wrong, however, the solenoid might not care about polarity but I would correct it just in case
Old 02-05-2012, 02:13 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

You're much better off finding a 24 VDC adapter. All the components will be designed to the specifications the adapter is made for. Trying to piece together a full wave rectifier with loose components without knowing the specs of the adapter you're using is looking for trouble. There's generally more to a rectifier than a few diodes. Many rectifier circuits include resistors, capacitors & coils to further filter the AC signal.

Might have to look a little harder for a 24 VDC adapter but they are available. Example, the EcoTech VorTech power supplies are 24 VDC. Costly option, but I'm sure if you search around on the net, you'll find something suitable for a reasonable price.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:32 PM

[quote=mike31154;678937]You're much better off finding a 24 VDC adapter. All the components will be designed to the specifications the adapter is made for. Trying to piece together a full wave rectifier with loose components without knowing the specs of the adapter you're using is looking for trouble. There's generally more to a rectifier than a few diodes. Many rectifier circuits include resistors, capacitors & coils to further filter the AC signal.

The transformer he is using is rated at 1 amp, the diodes are rated at 1 amp, the coil he is powering probably draws about 1/4 amp, he has soldered his connections, other than the reverse polarity he has done a fine job.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:34 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

For noise check for loose screws on the top of the unit, I have a similar one and it made a loud buzzing sound when one of the screws holding the solenoid on came loose.

Verify that the voltage is in fact 24VDC, not very typical. 24VAC is standard for sprinkler solenoid, which you can also use, rainbirds have been very reliable IME.

If you're using this for top off directly from an RO unit be sure you have enough safety built in to it so it won't be accidently left on too long or stay on from a faulty float switch or even the solenoid.