Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-25-2011, 03:40 AM

Nano is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Lap View Post
bet you could sell a cat for $30 and get a new sump
anyways onto the filters. the cat cant be sold I took it when my sister passed.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:22 AM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
I've always liked AquaClear HOBs. In my experience, they don't get loud at all. Maybe that's because I break it down completely and clean it weekly (especially the impeller) when I do a water change.
I agree with Bev here... but also, you can neglect the heck out of an aquaclear... and in my 'years' of fishkeeping (I've had aquaclears at all times for 16 years... infact since just yesterday is the first time I havent owned one in 16 years), i've never had one get loud unless it had chunks of sand in the impeller, or was running dry.

They are pretty bulletproof, and incredibly easy to clean, and you can stuff just about any media you want in them. Thats why I like them.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:27 AM

thanks for sticking too the topic haha, much appreciated. I have a 110 on my cichlid tank, and am currently running an old 70 on my reef, until I get a new one tomorrow, the problem with this 70 is the media area has a small crack and drips so I need to replace it haha, I thought of maybe doing another aquaclear, but am very curious about the fluval c series I've heard some good things about the 5 stage filtration. just not sure ahaha
Old 11-25-2011, 04:49 AM

Sorry... I didnt even realize the post was off-topic and about cats... Sorry to hear about the way you came to have the cat.

Ahh bummer that the aquaclear leaks!

And... well, here is my opinion on fluval...

LOL. Anyways, fluval G-series cannister filters were a flunk IMO (and in my other's opinions)... the proprietary filter cartrige replacement needs are a pain in the butt, also fluvals tend to clog with gunk fairly easily (I have done maintenance on a lot of tanks with fluvals). Aquclear is so easy to clean and you can put any media you want in it... and they rip waterflow really well. Just my opinion... but I think you will have an easier time (and easier effect on your wallet) dealing with aquclear than fluval. (Fluval has made 1 great product... the FX5... lots of other big-time products have been a fail).

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Chris

PS. Your sump may be repairable... i've built some tanks... maybe I can help you fix it? PM Me a pic... I live not to far away from wetaskiwin.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:01 AM

blacknife is on a distinguished road

Rubbermaid container time?

I tried to buy a rena xp4 at golds years ago and he would not let me waste my money on it and kept me on the one true filter. I agree on the bulletproofness and reusable foam
Old 11-25-2011, 05:04 AM

Haha Dennis is the man (and his guys there with him). Those guys know their stuff and aquaclears one every tank. Some of the ones in that store are 15-20 years old. I saw one a few weeks ago that was so old... it was yellow/brown in body/resin colour... maybe faded, or just that old. It was clearly labelled aquaclear... the thing was running like a champ on a goldfish tank.

(Dennis being the owner of Gold's in calgary)
Old 11-25-2011, 05:13 AM

jtbadco is on a distinguished road

I have two Aquaclear 70's and a Fluval 404 running on my 33 gal reef. They are both crammed with biomax and LR rubble.

Never had a problem. A little harder to hide the heater, skimmer and filter intakes but with some creativity it can be done. Keep the impeller and impeller shaft in good shape and they are whisper quiet. 9 tanks, 9 Fluvals, 13 Aquaclears, 1 bedroom apartment. You do the math.

A sump offers you more options ie deep sand bed, refugiums, hiding gear, etc but IME they are not an absolute necessity. A sump is basically just a larger capacity, open-topped canister filter anyways.

And to qualify, my experience is only the 1 tank I started 6 mnths ago, but, knock on wood, everything has been going really well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82rPEl0_mzo

I also have no experience with larger tanks. The dynamics might be very different.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:46 AM

thanks guys, I thinkI'll stick with aquaclears mine are all great too, my 110 just needed a new impeller, and my 70 is about 8 years old and go cracked on our move, i figured i'd keep it for spare parts or emergencies like this one. thanks again you think an aquaclear 70 is too much for my nano? i thought of a 110 but even on the lowest setting thats a ton of flow
Old 11-25-2011, 05:54 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky_Fish14 View Post
Some of the ones in that store are 15-20 years old.
Yeah I'm sure there's none of these new fandangled 110s running there. 500s all the way! I can't even call them 110s it just ain't right.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:58 AM

jtbadco is on a distinguished road

i think the AC 70 would be fine,......my tank is 48x12x12 and the flow is perfect