Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-02-2011, 07:19 PM

evaneatspie555 is on a distinguished road

as well my two clowns are shimmering at eachother and seem to dart at eachother they are about the same size. is it normal for them to take over a week to establish there dominance?
Old 11-06-2011, 11:57 PM

well i bought a koralia 750 and installed it not relizing it was over kill it stressed the heck out of one of my clowns who is back to normal my royal dottyback who is in hiding for 3 days and the stress killed my lawnmower blennie. the koralia has been stored for when i set up my 55 gallon tank.i am getting a bit of hari algea and am wondering what kind of critter will munch on that i have an emerald and wasnt sure if that would be a buffet for him. any thought on a hair algea eating critter i could get
Old 11-07-2011, 12:04 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

some mexican turbo snails or a sea hare will moe it down but if you go the sea hare route remember that all they eat is hair algae and once its gone they will starve if not rehomed, also they need to be acclimated slowly.

would consider fghting the algae using gfo in a reactor and waterchanges, that will remove phosphate and in return starve the algae.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:11 AM

ive been doing weekly water changes of about 3 gallons everytime i have that small refugium and the cheato is growing like a weed was thinking of puting some on a rock with fishing line and placing it on sand in display. i will get the snails and when i put them in the tank i will place them on the hair algea area and do that once in a while. is it true that see hare will let out a black liquid like a swuid or am i mistaking it for something else? and is there an easy way to make a gfo reactor diy cheap?
Old 11-07-2011, 12:26 AM

found tiny starfish that look like this
Old 11-07-2011, 12:44 AM
R.I.P.

google gatorade reactor, its cheap and works great meant for in sump though, a cheap tlf reactor can be found for 50 and under though to and it can be hob
Old 11-07-2011, 01:21 AM

i could get one of these cheap
http://www.bigalspets.ca/Turtle-Clea...Rank=salesrank could it be turned into one or is it to high of a flow rate ??
Old 11-07-2011, 05:04 AM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaneatspie555 View Post
i could get one of these cheap
http://www.bigalspets.ca/Turtle-Clea...Rank=salesrank could it be turned into one or is it to high of a flow rate ??

at that price though you could have 2 tlf reactors brs also makes a dual reactor that is very affordable. a canister filter can work but you want to get a tumble effect going and a rector works better for that, a canister filter can be good as an alternative to a sump so can be made into a small fuge but im not so sure about a reactor, there prob are people who have done it but not myself sorry
Old 11-08-2011, 01:14 AM

Thanks I'm also in need of a kool new fish that will be good for my tank and is reef friendly as well as compatible with my other fish can be a jumper I have a lid
Old 11-15-2011, 04:47 AM

k well i was driving threw london and stopped off at a big als and they had this yellow tang just over an inch in size and i know they need a big tank but he is tiny right now and i plan on getting a larg tank within a year or so. im hoping in a year he doesnt hit full size cuz if he grows that much i will have to give him away. he is loving my tank he has a funny personality and gets too eat all the hair algea he can. if i run out of hair algea will he eat cheato? i have lots of that and tend to flush some once in a while. pictures soon to come