Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-09-2011, 07:21 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_dao View Post
Why would you sell something for less than market value?
Because I'm fragging it to prevent contact with the adjacent coral, and I get to help a fellow hobbyist obtain something they might otherwise not have access to and when I need a frag back of something, the favor is almost always returned. It's called karma and works out really well for me almost all the time.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:29 PM
nc208082

removed

Last edited by Aquattro; 08-09-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:32 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc208082 View Post
removed.
Don't even go there! We are not discussing him, any reference to that site in this thread will be removed.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:34 PM

don.ald is on a distinguished road

^^^^
hey! i was just making the popcorn.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:36 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by don.ald View Post
^^^^
hey! i was just making the popcorn.
Sorry, we're just not doing that again
Old 08-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Because I'm fragging it to prevent contact with the adjacent coral, and I get to help a fellow hobbyist obtain something they might otherwise not have access to and when I need a frag back of something, the favor is almost always returned. It's called karma and works out really well for me almost all the time.
It also devalues the product over the span of the local market in the short term and possibly beyond in the long.

Makes for a great buyers market, but stymies the profitability and resulting development of the businesses that assume the time and risk to import these animals in the first place.

Why would I, assuming I sold corals, spend the countless hours and dollars needed to do all the import/export processes to bring in a lineaged coral from the States when its profitability is destined to be undermined within the year? What incentives do I have to not just sell more of the same stuff that I'm already selling?
Old 08-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Just a guy..

Albert, I work within the 2nd phase of the market (the used car people ), and sell only to those that otherwise wouldn't buy your product to begin with. The only way I, or others, will ever own those pieces is by buying from other hobbyists that feel as I do.

So for your efforts you will still have the customers that purchased the original pieces wanting your newly imported special of the month. That market segment will always exist and will always pay your asking price. I will not, so I'm not a part of your market scope. Your business goes on with or without me, with so little impact from my part that it isn't worth considering.

To add, I'm also not able to bring any of my product to market in the first year, so short term is not something I participate in, and long term shows us new product where my items are now old news. Keep inmind, I'm not buying a piece to turn around and frag in 3 months, I'm fragging excess growth, which I won't realize for at least a year.

Last edited by Aquattro; 08-09-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:52 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Albert, I work within the 2nd phase of the market (the used car people ), and sell only to those that otherwise wouldn't buy your product to begin with. The only way I, or others, will ever own those pieces is by buying from other hobbyists that feel as I do.

So for your efforts you will still have the customers that purchased the original pieces wanting your newly imported special of the month. That market segment will always exist and will always pay your asking price. I will not, so I'm not a part of your market scope. Your business goes on with or without me, with so little impact from my part that it isn't worth considering.

To add, I'm also not able to bring any of my product to market in the first year, so short term is not something I participate in, and long term shows us new product where my items are now old news. Keep inmind, I'm not buying a piece to turn around and frag in 3 months, I'm fragging excess growth, which I won't realize for at least a year.
Fair enough.

Not that my product (love and peace for the common man) depreciates in value
Old 08-09-2011, 08:18 PM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

When I first started selling red planet I was able to sell frags for $120 and they were decent sized frags. over the term of a year, prices dropped due to other hobbiests selling frags for a lower price. In the end I dropped my price down to $40 and than I got a whole bunch of interest. Fragged it a few more times, than said screw it. I just let it grow to the point where I was busting tips off cleaning the glass. I must say, that colony funded my hobby while being in school.

Point of the story is albert is right. You will never see purple monster drop in price, it seems like it is such a slow growing coral. Wicked Frags had a small colony at one point and I think he had a nub frag for sale
Old 08-09-2011, 08:39 PM

Haloreef is on a distinguished road
Default frags

If I can ever get this bleeping Purple Monster to grow out the top of my tank iI will be happy, and, also it seems, long dead! That stupid thing is slow.
I could probably take a frag off of it now but I would be so freaked of loosing it i'd probably have a stroke while cutting it. So... unless something changes and this thing goes nuts and starts growing, I think it will be a long time before frags hit the market!
From me any way.
Keith.